PDA

View Full Version : New Member-Not Sure Where I'm Going With My Collection

the Rock
03-28-2011, 11:06 PM
Hello all! I just joined up a couple of days ago. I used to be a big collector of sports cards,etc...but lost my passion for it some where around 1995. Had enough and quit cold turkey. Stored the collection away and became interested in other things.
Advance to the present day and I am having some interest stirring again. I ran across some of the Topps reprints of the last few years and remembered how much I was in to collecting. The bulk of my collecting interest was from the 50's through the 70's. My mom didn't throw my cards out and I had a large collection to start up with as a adult. I also then collected 80's and 90's cards up to the time I quit.
So in about a week or so, I will be going to my first show since probably 1994 in NE Ohio. I don't know what to expect at this point. After the show, I'm going to open up the safe, the tubs, the binders and the boxes, and see what I have there. It's been a long time.
I may have a lot of questions in the future depending on where this all takes me. Card grading was just really coming in to vogue when I gave it up so I will have to get a handle on that. I'm pretty sure that I will have no interest in present day players and card sets. I like the older stuff. Some of those reprints seem pretty cool though. Thanks Leon for helping to get me signed up.
Until later,
the Rock

almostdone
03-29-2011, 06:03 AM
First, let me say welcome to the forum and back to the hobby. Your story is very familiar to mine. Myadvise is take some time to look through your old stuff. Enjoy the memories and remember what it was you lovedabout the hobby.
The show could be a bit overwhelming but if you go with a open mind and the knoledge you have a good "starter" collection at home you may really enjoy yourself.
Again welcome back!
Drew

Ease
03-29-2011, 07:41 AM
Welcome Rock! That's good advice from Drew, also spend some time perusing the archives here if you'd like. Huge amounts of great info.

Leon
03-29-2011, 08:30 AM
Welcome to the board and thanks for being careful where you are posting. I moved this to the main board to get you a bit more feedback. Happy collecting!!

steve B
03-29-2011, 09:12 AM
Welcome back to the hobby.

I sort of stopped around 2000, for similar reasons. Plus I got into another sort of sports collecting.

A lot has changed. Some for the better, some not.

Probably best if you discover those on your own and decide which things you like.

You've found the right place if the modern stuff stopped doing much for you.

Steve B

Matt
03-29-2011, 09:16 AM
"Welcome to The Rock!"

ethicsprof
03-29-2011, 10:59 AM
welcome aboard.
you've found a great vintage home.
all the best,
barry

joeadcock
03-29-2011, 05:30 PM
Agree with Barry

Welcome

Frank

Clutch-Hitter
03-29-2011, 08:48 PM
Welcome, you're certainly in the right place.

GrayGhost
03-29-2011, 09:01 PM
Yes, Welcome. This board has great sections on cards, memorabilia and general discussion. Plus, lots of knowledgable people on here in different areas, plus chances to buy and auctions too. Buy what you like, can afford, and enjoy. Thats the best advice;)

Gradedcardman
03-29-2011, 09:21 PM
Amazing how many of us have been through similar stints away from the hobby. I sold 95% of my collection in 1998 via Superior Sports Auctions. I stayed away until about 5 years ago (got divorced and found money). I am back into the T206's and at about 400 and hoping to be at 450.

Enjoy the show. My advice would be to walk the show with very little money unless you truly know a direction you want to go. Otherwise you could end up all over the board on purchases.

Enjoy !!

ls7plus
03-29-2011, 10:13 PM
Welcome, "Rock." As prior posters have noted, you are certainly in the right place, as the cumulative knowledge and experience of these guys is probably unbeatable, with tremendous willingness to help. The "search" function should prove invaluable for acquiring knowledge with regard to an incredible number of topics and/or cards. There's a saying in coins, "buy the book before the coin," meaning its awfully hard to beat the acquistion of knowledge when trying to make sensible purchases in whatever direction you decide to go in.

May your collecting endeavors always prove rewarding!

Larry

the Rock
03-30-2011, 07:34 PM
Thanks for the nice welcome to the group and the sage advice. The hobby seems to have changed greatly over the years. I will take it slow and have a good long look before I jump back in. I am sure that I will have some questions as time goes by.
Thanks again,
the Rock

jbsports33
03-30-2011, 08:00 PM
Welcome to the best hobby forum on the web!

Jimmy