PDA

View Full Version : NNED INFO ON 20"s PITTSBURGH PRESS CHAMPIONS CHARMS

Lou Criscione
03-26-2011, 10:50 PM
Hi Guys!

iI was going through a closet that I had not opened for a long time that was filled with sports memorabilia that I had acquired over 20 years ago. It was pretty neat finding things I had not seen for many years. It was like Christmas in March as many of the items I had forgotten about.

Anyway, I found three items that maybe you guys can help me with. On is a ribbon with an attached metal coin that reads "1924 Pittsburgh Press Baseball Champions" on one side. The other two items appear to be charms- one is a batter standing on a baseball with the words "Pittsburgh Press Champions- 1925" embossed on the ball. The third piece is also a charm and reads the same except that it's a catcher on the ball and is dated 1927.

I tried doing some research- but came up empty. I'm guessing that it was an amatuer league sponsored by a newspaper. Any of your thoughts would be helpful. I've included some pictures (see below).

Thanks!
Lou
www.insidetheparkcollectibles.com

khkco4bls
03-27-2011, 11:03 AM
thats exactly right. probably a team for the paper in the 20s.

John V
03-27-2011, 01:34 PM
Seems I've seen plenty of those on various topics. Marbles, academics, sports, etc. The Press must have sponsored lots of youth or school events.

perezfan
03-27-2011, 03:17 PM
The figural player charms are clearly modeled after the Spalding Catcher and Batter Trophies of the era. Same exact poses atop their baseball "bases".

Very cool!

Lou Criscione
03-27-2011, 09:11 PM
They are cool and do resemble the Spalding trophies. On the backs(see pictures below) it's says "Class A" and the three were made by Dieges & Clust.
Thanks for the feedback!
Lou