PDA

View Full Version : Wanting more...

53Browns
03-24-2011, 06:14 AM
I think I may know the answer to this unfortunately but I just finished listening to the Glory of Their Times audio CD's and - WOW! Is there anything else like this out there? Recordings of old ballplayers from any past era talking about the game and their experiences? I love the candid stories they tell. It really gives you great insight and for me it helps identify with the person more than an image on a pasteboard. Thanks!

~Wild Bill

Chris Counts
03-24-2011, 06:31 AM
About a decade after Lawrence Ritter crisscrossed the country interviewing old ballplayers for his book, Donald Honig did the same thing. His book, "Baseball When The Grass Was Real," is certainly worth a read. Perhaps it's not quite as compelling as "The Glory Of Their Times," but what other baseball book is?

bbcard1
03-24-2011, 06:32 AM
I dearly love Glory of the Times.

FrankWakefield
03-24-2011, 06:35 AM
I agree with Chris. Mr. Honig's book is interesting. I vividly recall Spud Chandler's conversation with some fans at a ball game, about the best catch ever seen.

Nothing is on par with Mr. Ritter's GOTT book and cd's. Mr. Honig gets the closest.

HexsHeroes
03-24-2011, 11:10 AM

. . . that I have enjoyed very much include:

Donald Honig, Baseball When the Grass was Real

Donald Honig, Baseball Between the Lines 40's-50's

Eugene Murdock, Baseball Players and Their Time

Eugene Murdock, Baseball Between the War Years

Danny Peary, We Played the Game (65 players, 1947-1964)

I am sure there are others worth reading too.

deadballera
03-24-2011, 11:28 AM
I just picked up the Glory of Their Times book at a local Goodwill store last week for $1.50. Looking forward to reading it.