PDA

View Full Version : Vintage 1910 Holy Cross Collegiate Baseball info

stoogeco
03-23-2011, 10:00 PM
Hi All!!

I'm hoping to get some info on this ball. It is a ball with caligraphy writing on it, says Holy Cross 1910 5-4 on it. The ball was painted purple and white. Does anybody have ANY idea what this ball is? There are about 6 more of these balls in the same collection. Any info is greatly appreciated. Thank you for all the help!!

Dave

murphusa
03-24-2011, 05:07 AM
Trophy balls. If you are able to get them all at a good price get them. There are a few people on the board who would love to make you an offer

HexsHeroes
03-24-2011, 11:28 AM

. . . so the figures " 5 -4 " might represent a game final score.

Team captain was George Jones. Coach was William H. Dyer. Three members of the 1910 team each got a brief taste of the major leagues (per Baseball Almanac); Kip Dowd, Danny Mahoney, and Andy Harrington.

And Harvard beat Holy Cross on May 3, 1910 by a score of 1-0.

Five minutes of research via the internet.

stoogeco
03-29-2011, 01:32 PM
Thanks all for the info. Does anyone know what to pay for these balls? He has 7 total balls, all college, Tufts, Holy Cross, Colby, Vermont. Thanks again for the info.

khkco4bls
03-29-2011, 04:12 PM
they are trophy balls which go back to the 1850s. the score is 5-4 and the winning team takes it and paints them up. usually goes in the schools trophy cases.

prewarsports
03-29-2011, 05:37 PM
I have bought (and sold) many early trophy balls. I would say they are worth between $100-$300 each depending on the schools, condition, and overall eye appeal. I know that is a broad range, but that is about as good as you can do without pictures and descriptions of each. Bigger schools outside of the Ivy League and deep East Coast would command more (IE A U. Michigan ball would probably be closer to $500 etc.), and if any of them are significantly earlier they would command more money.

Just a broad idea of value for you.

Rhys Yeakley