PDA

View Full Version : Best Guide Book Advice

abothebear
03-22-2011, 11:29 AM
My local card store is great, but the owner is definitely not a pre-war era guy. I asked him about a good guide and he sold me last year's Beckett Guide (not the Almanac) at a discount (though not a great discount). Upon opening the plastic wrap I almost immediately realized that this guide would not be sufficient. I figured I could WTB a 2009 or 2010 Beckett Almanac from the Net54 community but then I wondered if the Almanac was even the best way to go. So, what do you'll suggest as the best guide for pre-war issue cards? And would anyone be willing to sell me their old one for cheap?

Leon
03-22-2011, 11:55 AM
My local card store is great, but the owner is definitely not a pre-war era guy. I asked him about a good guide and he sold me last year's Beckett Guide (not the Almanac) at a discount (though not a great discount). Upon opening the plastic wrap I almost immediately realized that this guide would not be sufficient. I figured I could WTB a 2009 or 2010 Beckett Almanac from the Net54 community but then I wondered if the Almanac was even the best way to go. So, what do you'll suggest as the best guide for pre-war issue cards? And would anyone be willing to sell me their old one for cheap?

Beckett is good and had some good info in it. That being said, for pre-war vintage, Bob Lemke's (Krause SCD Baseball) might be the best current, printed place for information, imo. I feel if you get that book and Lew Lipset's 3 Volumes of Encyclopedia, most commonly found all together, then you will have a lot of the info you need. Read them and memorize them. That should get you through the next year or two :). regards