PDA

View Full Version : New to this, confused about PSA

npa589
03-22-2011, 10:36 AM
Thanks for all your help regarding submitting items. Now I'm submitting my first "crossover" group, and have only 1 question.

What do I need to know about the "MIN. GRADE (Crossover Only)" column on the submission form.

Do you shoot for the sky?, or do you put "A"?

I'm submitting 7 BVG cards that all would merit qualifiers. They are all in fantastic shape for T206 cards but all are from that huge set that had individual numbers written in blue pen on the top of the back of the card.

glchen
03-22-2011, 10:55 AM
Free grading submissions are that exactly (except you still need to pay for shipping). Bascailly, depending on your membership level, you receive X # of free submissions at I think with a declared value of $500 or under. So you would try to send your
more expensive raw cards under this service level. I believe you need to send all cards at one time also with the voucher. If you have a voucher for 7 free submissions, you must send all 7 at the same time, and can't split it up to 3 now and 4 later. The best definition of Declared value would be if PSA (or any other TPG) lost or mangled your card, how much would you want to be compensated for it? Usually I use the rough cost on which I purchased the card, but it is up to you. For example, if you had a $1000 card, you could theoretically still submit it under the $100 or less declared value service level, but then if they lost the card, they would only compensate you ~$100. If you go completely overboard, the TPG can still refuse to grade the card for you at that level. (e.g., submitting the T206 Wagner at $100 service level.)

shaunsteig
03-22-2011, 05:20 PM
I know I can submit as a non-member, but what are the greatest benefits to being a CC member?

Sort of. As a member you can send in submissions directly. As a non-member, you cannot -- you'll need to bring the cards to a PSA authorized dealer who will then submit the cards on your behalf. That to me was the biggest reason I became a member -- the convenience of sending cards in directly myself cause I can never make it over to a dealer during their business hours.

Otherwise, I agree with everything else stated by the prior responder. Membership does come with a certain number of free submissions (but you still pay for shipping both ways); the number varies according to the membership level selected. And declared value is essentially what you'd like to insure the card for (while under their possession or for calculating the return shipping cost). The service level, and cost of grading, depends on the declared value and on how quickly you'd like the card to be graded. So while you might be tempted to undervalue all your submissions in order to save money on the service level, keep in mind that if they're lost that you'll be shortchanging yourself. Like the prior responded, I usually set it for at least what I purchased the card for, sometimes higher if I know it'd grade to a value much higher.

PSA also runs Collector's Club specials each month, which often come out much cheaper than the standard submission cost if your cards meet the particular criteria. In general, I try to combine many items into one large submission so as to minimize shipping costs in both directions.

Hope that helps,
--S

vintagetoppsguy
03-22-2011, 05:37 PM
As a member you can send in submissions directly. As a non-member, you cannot -- you'll need to bring the cards to a PSA authorized dealer who will then submit the cards on your behalf.

Actually, this is wrong. You do not need to be a CC member to submit cards to PSA. You only need to be a CC member to take advantage of their monthly grading specials or bulk grading specials. You can submit cards under their other service levels w/o being a CC member.

Besides, if you want them graded accurately, you should just send them to SGC.

shaunsteig
03-22-2011, 08:10 PM
Actually, this is wrong. You do not need to be a CC member to submit cards to PSA. You only need to be a CC member to take advantage of their monthly grading specials or bulk grading specials. You can submit cards under their other service levels w/o being a CC member.

Gonna disagree with you there. From PSA's website FAQ:

Q: How do I go about getting my cards/tickets graded by PSA?
A: Become a member of our Collectors Club. and enjoy the benefits of direct submission privileges. Once a member, please refer to your Collectors Club welcome package or the Submission Center for submission instructions. Some PSA Authorized Dealers will submit items on your behalf; please check with the Dealer to find out if this is a service they offer.

Q: How much does it cost to get cards graded by PSA?
A: You must be a Collectors Club member to submit cards directly to PSA. Once a member, the fees to have cards graded vary by the type of cards, values, quantity submitted and turnaround time. Please visit our Submission Center to view our complete Fee Schedule for PSA Services.

vintagetoppsguy
03-22-2011, 08:27 PM
I thought PSA changed their policy about this. Here is a screen shot from their fee schedule page. Look at the bottom line. It notes that one must be a Collectors Club Member to use Bulk Services. It doesn't say that about the other services, so one would have to assume that you do not need to be a member to submit at the other service levels. Otherwise, why only note it about the Bulk Services?

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x137/vintagetoppsguy/Personal/Capture.jpg

Edited to add: I could be wrong. I haven't submitted anything to PSA in a few years. However, I thought I remember reading that change on the PSA message boards.

npa589
03-23-2011, 10:28 AM
I did know that actually. On the PSA site, they have a submission form for non-members.

Oh, and about accuracy. I may be relatively knew to this, but that it one thing I have noticed for sure. Sometimes their grades make you wonder if PSA is not just a glorified BCCG.

SGC is awesome. Everything about them is better. Their consistency, accuracy, holders, customer relations - far superior.

You realize that we can do something about this right?

Most people that submit to PSA do so because of the registry, that I know. If we all agree as a group to simply start to submit to SGC - for example, those of the NET54 members who are consistently paying attention to the feeds (I almost always see 70-80 viewing this Vintage BBC Forum) - and do so with uniform fidelity - this would make a HUGE dent in the registry after some time.

I'm not trying to start a "revolution", heh, what I am saying is that the NET54 has more sway than we are giving ourselves credit for - and I'm new here! We really can do something about this.

Maybe we can start a commitment thread. I'm not trying to be silly about this or make a huge deal about this, but it's obviously an important part of this hobby's community, a hobby that takes a lot of our valuable time - and empirically, carries some importance with us as well. I'm only taking the time to possibly take the lead on this, because I have enjoyed the helpfulness within this community and want to offer help in return. It seems to be made up of hard-working people who love the game of baseball, our nations history, and an extremely important part of our cultural development as a country. This pastime of ours (and yes, BASEBALL is the national pastime, not "American Football") has transcended ethnicity, race, classism, amongst other things. I think I'm preaching to the choir here, so I won't go on.

Needless to say, I love baseball - and I've thoroughly enjoyed the community of people here on NET54 that share these passions. I'd like to do something to help, and, at the present time - PSA seems to be one of the most detrimental problems to the betterment of the vintage baseball card community.

I'd love to hear people's thoughts. If you're on base (pun!) with my thoughts, let me know - I'll gladly start an SGC Commitment List/Thread. If you aren't - your antithetical opinions are more than welcome.

Thank you for your time,

Nate

Trl3789
03-24-2011, 11:00 AM
So I don't do a ton of posting on these boards, but I am on everyday reading and trying to learn as much as possible. From what I've seen since I've been a member, Nate is right in stating that what seems to be a consistent concern is PSA's ability to be consistent and accurate with their grading.

So, Nate, you can count me in.

-Tucker

npa589
03-28-2011, 10:32 AM
Thanks - I think this is something that many on this board would say "Yea, that sounds good - but not realistic." I suppose that's how all seemingly impossible tasks start. I know a lot of collectors who, with great reluctance, submit to PSA - only because they know people pay higher for them.

I tell you what - if SGC wanted to do something bold as a business, they should create a promotion that gives like a 50%-75% discount on crossover cards from PSA. You want to start to really challenge PSA, SGC? Then actually try to challenge them. It seems like collectors, SGC, and the like have ventured, though with great reluctance, to a resting place of reluctant satisfaction. The "what's the point anymore" idea.

I suppose you and I are just to "young" within this whole Vintage card thing. I would love to hear thoughts from the incredibly experienced collectors in here. I'm just an errand boy compared to most of the people in here. The experienced, master collectors are the ones that can make the big dents in PSA.

Again, NET54 has probably the biggest sway of any forum out there to actually make a dent in business for PSA, and help SGC.

It's like McDonalds (PSA) and Chick-fil-A (SGC). I think that analogy may speak for itself. Everything about Chick-fil-A is better....everything, save the iced tea or coffee .... (maybe), yet people keep going to McDonalds - getting hurt everytime.

Ok, back to teaching.

So I don't do a ton of posting on these boards, but I am on everyday reading and trying to learn as much as possible. From what I've seen since I've been a member, Nate is right in stating that what seems to be a consistent concern is PSA's ability to be consistent and accurate with their grading.

So, Nate, you can count me in.

-Tucker

glchen
03-28-2011, 02:47 PM
I don't think you're going to see too many big PSA set collectors crossover to SGC. See this horror story: Linky (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=123910)

I'm not taking a side in the above thread. The point is if you have a lot of cards invested in PSA at certain grades, you don't want to crossover to SGC at lower grades. And you don't want your set to be half SGC / half PSA, with those cards staying in PSA that don't make the minimum grade. And if SGC guarantees that PSA cards will crossover to SGC at the same grade or better (minus obvious misgrades) kinda like how PSA does their half point reviews, you will melting point anger the SGC core constituency, who will believe SGC is now letting in a bunch of overgraded cards into their pops.

The fact is both PSA and SGC have core fans who strongly follow that TPG for one reason or the other. For myself, more of my collection is in PSA these days, but I still submit to SGC regularly (probably once every couple months or so). I don't think either TPG is going away or falling into GAI-like circumstances. Just choose whichever TPG you want or both.

npa589
05-21-2011, 09:30 AM
bump for new question

glchen
05-21-2011, 12:18 PM
Good question. I'm not sure. Usually for crossovers, you put the same grade as the original holder for Min Grade. So if your card in BVG was 3 (VG), you would put 3 for the minimum grade. (If you absolutely want the card out of the original holder (but want to ensure PSA would slab it), you can put a lower minimum grade than the original holder.

Saying that, I'm not quite sure about the qualifers, since the PSA flip would have the MK qualifier on it. Not sure a BVG 3 would equal a PSA 3 MK. I think SGC lowers the grade slightly for qualifiers since they don't put qualifers on the flip. I would assume Beckett does the same.

npa589
05-21-2011, 10:42 PM
Yes, Beckett does the same.

Most of them are BVG 3, and would be (should be) PSA 5. Some have Centering 8, corners 4, Edges 8, surface 2. They might be PSA 6 (MK), but at worst they should be PSA 5 (MK).

I guess I'm just worried about putting something, and paying them to grade it, but not having it graded because it doesn't meet the MIN grade that I wrote.

If they don't end up slabbing it, for whatever reason, do you still have to pay them the 15$ a card?