PDA

View Full Version : HELP: cigarette smoke damage

Bumpus Jones
03-20-2011, 12:28 PM
Anyone out there with ideas on how to best remove cigarette smoke smell from an old scoresheet?

Thanks,

Chris

murphusa
03-20-2011, 01:29 PM
Hang it in an area that gets ventilation and is dry and let it air out for about a week

IronHorse2130
03-20-2011, 02:12 PM
You could put it in a box or bin along with a dryer sheet. Let it stay in there for awhile and then air the score sheet out on a nice day.

Exhibitman
03-20-2011, 06:17 PM
I had the same issue with a book I bought. I left it in the garage for a week. Of course, it was summer in So Cal, so it was very dry.

mdschulze
03-20-2011, 09:19 PM
coffee grounds.... worked for a book I had. Take a medium size Rubbermaid container and add about 2 cups of coffee grounds on one side. Lay the item on the other side (not touching the coffee) and seal the container. Let it sit for a day and then check... may need to let it sit longer.

Rob D.
03-20-2011, 09:50 PM
I've had succes using this product (the powder) and following a procedure similar to what Mike outlined above:

http://www.exstink.com/

I was skeptical about the product but pleasantly surprised with the results. (I'm not an owner or investor or in any way connected to the company.)

Mr. Zipper
03-21-2011, 07:12 AM
I collect comic books as well. Here are the methods that comic collectors use to remove musty odor and smoke with good success:

1 - fill the bottom of an air tight container with baking soda. Place the item in the container suspended above the baking soda. You can use a cookie cooling tray or something similar to suspend the item. Seal the whole thing up and let it sit for a few weeks. Repeat process with fresh baking soda if necessary. (I have heard that people have used kitty litter with success as well.)

2 - Place the item between two sheets of microchamber interleaving paper and seal it up in a bag. (Microchamber paper: http://www.conservationresources.com/Main/section_15/section15_03.htm )

Let it sit for a few weeks and repeat if necessary. It will definately work.

Microchamber paper is expensive and usually only available in bulk. I'd be happy to send you a few sheets if you want to PM me your address.

good luck - Steve

Bumpus Jones
03-22-2011, 06:57 PM
Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I will try at least a couple of these and see how it goes...

Chris