PDA

View Full Version : also . . . a '50 Sunbeam query

Bob Lemke
03-19-2011, 12:29 PM

Another question from Al Moore . . . anent the 1950 Sunbeam Sacramento Solons.

His card of Al heist has a line at the bottom back plugging KXOB radio, whereas the card (Robert Stevens) pictured in the catalog has no such line.

Is this radio station plug found on all Heist cards? Are others in the set found with the ad?

Thanks, again.

FrankWakefield
03-19-2011, 01:21 PM
Bob,

I only have one Sunbeam or Remar card that has black ink on the back like that card you've posted. And that card fluoresces. I once had another one. I am fairly certain that the cards were reprints. One seller doubted that and wanted the card back as he sent me a refund, the other seller readily believed it could be a reprint, he refunded the money and told me I could keep the card. That's the one I have, and it's of Louis Tost.

All of my other Sunbeam or Remar cards have backs that are either are multicolor (1947), or blue.

If you have that card you've posted in hand, please put a black light to it.

That may well be an authentic card, but I have some doubt about that at present. Maybe that card should have black ink on the back. What color was the ink on the Stevens card?

fkw
03-19-2011, 04:48 PM
This card is of a Sacramento player,

The only reprints I know of are from the Oakland Oaks Sunbeam cards (Remar Bread) and on back they say something like "SH" followed by a number (ie SH-9). Issued by Sports Hobbiest back in the 1970s, they have black ink back and the "SH" with a number on back. I dont have one in front of me right now but do have a couple of the reprints at home, they are from a different set than the one pictured.

The only Sacramento Sunbeam cards I have are from 1946 and 1947, so cant help on this 1950 card.

FrankWakefield
03-19-2011, 05:22 PM
Hey there, 'other' Frank... Good call!!!

I look at the Tost card that fluoresced, that I thought was a reprint, and I see "SH-61" under the Sunbeam Bread loaf, part of it into the loaf. Looks like it was typed on there, or at least typed onto the initial artwork. And it's an Oakland Oaks 1950 card. I don't recall if the other card that I thought was a reprint or fake, the one I sent back, whether it had "SH" on it or not.

Bob, still think that card you have there should be illuminated with uv light, just to see what it does.

oaks1912
03-20-2011, 12:13 AM
The pictured card is from one of two sets that Sunbeam (Gravem-Inglis Bakery) did featuring Stockton Ports players of the California League..... The backs are printed in black ink, and although it is possible to reproduce any card, I haven't see any from these two series. There are a number of cards found with / without the radio ad. John Rumierz was working on documenting these, but I'm not certain how far along he got

D. Bergin
03-20-2011, 10:46 AM
Didn't they start putting flourescent properties into paper starting in the late 40's?

t213
03-20-2011, 10:58 AM
I have a 1949 Harry Clements without the radio ad.

Andy

FrankWakefield
03-20-2011, 11:26 AM
Use of brighteners in paper began in the late 40's, but it wasn't instantly in all paper. That card shouldn't fluoresce. And if Mark Macrea thinks the card is real, then I'm satisfied that it is. I need to find one of these for a type card.

Bob Lemke
03-20-2011, 11:33 AM
I don't have the card in hand, just a color photocopy of the back.

Based on Mark's observation, I'm inclined to add a line to the set description along the lines of . . . "Some cards are found with "Tune in KXOB" at bottom on back."

Would still like to know if any cardscan be found both w/ and w/o the radio ad.