PDA

View Full Version : Orcajo inquiry

Bob Lemke
03-19-2011, 12:00 PM
On my blog between March 1-9, I ran several postings concerning submissions for the Standard Catalog by Maryland collector Al Moore.

Al has sent another packet of goodies, which I am working through for the blog and later pickup in my SCD column.

I've written Al for some clarifications, by regular mail since he doesn't do computers, but I could use your help, as well, before I make additions or changes to the Standard Catalog.
The cheklist for the 1937-39 Orcajo Cincinnati Reds postcards carries a listing for Ray Davis. While there were three players named Davis on the Reds in 1937-38, none of them was Ray.

There was Virgil "Spud" Davis, Roy "Peaches" Davis, and George "Kiddo" Davis.
Catcher Virgil Davis has a card in the set, but not Peaches or Kiddo.

Do you suppose the George Davis card pictured here was wrongly cataloged as Ray?

Al also sent the Alex Kampouris card shown here. I've asked him to confirm that is actually marked on the back as an Orcajo. If so, it is an addition to the checklist.

I'll be working up the material Al sent over the next week or two on my blog. You can keep abreast via the link below.

Michael Peich
03-20-2011, 09:00 AM
Hi, Bob,

Here is the Ray Davis card from my Orcajo collection. I think Ray is actually Roy "Peaches" Davis, a right-handed pitcher who was a starter in 1937, and a reliever in 1938, his last year in baseball. So, there would appear to be a name identification error perpetrated by Orcajo when the card was issued.

George "Kiddo" Davis played outfield and the pose on the card you have posted is consistent with that. However, I don't have "Kiddo" in my collection, but I doubt that he was wrongly cataloged as Ray. He should probably be added to the checklist, especially since it has the Val Decker Packing Co. imprint .

Can't help with the Kampouris other than to note that he should be added to the checklist if it's an Orcajo back.

These are great finds.

Cheers, Mike

Bob Lemke
03-20-2011, 11:29 AM
I think you've nailed it. Ray=Roy and George "Kiddo" is new to the checklist.

lhardem
03-20-2011, 01:35 PM
Two nice finds, Bob.

I am convinced the Kampouris card is also from the Orcajo set. Especially if you crank up the contrast and crank down the brightness in the lower part of the card. You can clearly see the "Val Decker Packing Co." labeling in the lower left. Well, maybe not so clearly, but it is definitely there--the same logo as on the George Davis card.

Thanks for sharing.

Lyman

Bob Lemke
03-21-2011, 02:04 PM
Wow, Lyman, you're right! On the photocopy I received, the area is so washed out I never suspected the ad might be there.