PDA

View Full Version : this kinda stuff freaks me out

mcgwirecom
03-19-2011, 08:36 AM
Has anyone seen these balls up close? I have seen them on Ebay from time to time. In the scans they look pretty good. But I believe the whole ball thing is printed on the ball somehow. Even the labels. I've seen nicer ones than this also. Was just wondering if you had it in your hand could you see how it was done?

http://cgi.ebay.com/BABE-RUTH-SIGNED-BASEBALL-REPLICA-VERY-COOL-/270722267463?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f084df947

ruth-gehrig
03-19-2011, 09:23 AM
Yeah I've wondered that myself:confused:

CobbvLajoie1910
03-19-2011, 11:15 AM
....The memorabilia side of this forum has pretty much gone to hell

Edit to say: Apologies for the negative tone of the post, but we're beating a dead horse with the eBay Ruth, Mantle, et. al autos.

MGHPro
03-19-2011, 11:44 AM
....The memorabilia side of this forum has pretty much gone to hell

Edit to say: Apologies for the negative tone of the post, but we're beating a dead horse with the eBay Ruth, Mantle, et. al autos.

I agree..I think we should call out bad items but we shouldn't focus on that. Matt

CobbvLajoie1910
03-19-2011, 11:48 AM
Fair enough. But, can't we put 'em all in one-thread?

slidekellyslide
03-19-2011, 12:12 PM
Perhaps I could put a sticky at the top as a sort of "watchout" thread where all bad autographs, and fake memorabilia could go? That would be up to Leon though...I don't mind them either way, but I probably wouldn't read them if I weren't a moderator.

CobbvLajoie1910
03-19-2011, 12:33 PM
Perhaps I could put a sticky at the top as a sort of "watchout" thread where all bad autographs, and fake memorabilia could go? That would be up to Leon though...I don't mind them either way, but I probably wouldn't read them if I weren't a moderator.

Dan, I think that's a wonderful idea.

I get the feeling there are a lot more of "us" that would prefer to see it configured that way.....rather than having to wade through the latest Coach's Corner (weekly) thread, or eBay Matty auto'd ball thread to find the true memorabilia posts.

No disrespect to the auto collectors (I collect sigs too), but this side of Net54 has become very 2-dimensional.

Bring the sanity back, Leon! :)

Oldtix
03-19-2011, 01:22 PM

That would be wonderful...and a lot less depressing!

barrysloate
03-19-2011, 02:09 PM
I've been thinking the same thing for a while. Half the threads on the memorabilia side are about ebay fraud, incompetent autograph experts, stolen material, or some related topic. I agree we should have a single place to post all of this stuff. Every time somebody sees something bad on ebay doesn't mean we need to start yet another new thread.

sayhey24
03-19-2011, 02:55 PM
Couldn't agree more -- I think most true collectors are sick of the seemingly endless new threads about the latest bad Mantle or Ruth autograph on ebay. There are thousands of bad autographs on ebay at any given time, and we all know it.

That being said, a separate thread for people who want to continue posting about this kind of thing would be fine, especially since every once in a great while these threads expose a new trend or issue the hobby should know about.

Greg

Ease
03-19-2011, 03:01 PM
I agree with the "sticky" idea too, but I would(do) read the threads either way.

btw, i am also curious as to how they "made" that Ruth ball.

Rob D.
03-19-2011, 03:59 PM
Dan, I think that's a wonderful idea.

I get the feeling there are a lot more of "us" that would prefer to see it configured that way.....rather than having to wade through the latest Coach's Corner (weekly) thread, or eBay Matty auto'd ball thread to find the true memorabilia posts.

No disrespect to the auto collectors (I collect sigs too), but this side of Net54 has become very 2-dimensional.

+1