PDA

View Full Version : Curious - Opinion on Topps Sterling?

Ericc22
03-16-2011, 04:04 PM
Greetings,

I am curious for your view on the vintage pieces, and in particular the autographed vintage pieces, that come in Topps Sterling. (This includes autographs of older players though the autograph might be recent.) I am ignoring the other cards that come in the Sterling set.

I am not interested in the unopened boxes. To me they seem more like a lottery ticket and an overpriced one. I am referring to the signed, individual cards that show up on ebay.

I do find some of the autographed pieces to be quite nice. I only buy T206s for myself, and my kids buy cards from the 50s and 60s but I have to say some of the Sterling cards are rather nice. Some of them tell a nice story in a compact and attractive form.

Does the numbering do anything for you? Given that I don't purchase as an investment, and am skeptical of the investment value anyway, I could care less that something is 1/10 or 1/10,000. Or do these things actually go up in price?

Curious for your view. Like 'em? Abhor them? I might have to buy one at some point to satisfy my curiosity. Eg, I just saw a Gibson auto go on Ebay for about $35 and that card told a nice story to me. Or, do you prefer to just get your Gibson fix by going for an older card or a signed ball?

Anyhoo, just thinking out loud. Curious for all opinions!

Eric

vargha
03-16-2011, 05:17 PM
Eric, my opinion is that folks just need to collect what they like. There will always be others that look down their collective noses at what some people collect, and it is best to just ignore them.