PDA

View Full Version : vintage card price help..please

hangman62
03-14-2011, 05:40 PM
1933 Goudey - #2 Vance, Lazzeri, and Marranville

Can someone give me the " book" price ( which book...any respectable will do) of the following cards in NM condition

Thanks
Ral G

David W
03-14-2011, 06:34 PM
2010 SCD

Vance NM 1100
Lazzeri NM 1250
Marranville NM 425

Check ebay completed sales

hangman62
03-14-2011, 07:02 PM
david,
thanks for info,...what does ebay final price have to do with anything.
i thought book price meant the SCD big book or the Krause price guide ???

vintagetoppsguy
03-14-2011, 07:51 PM
david,
thanks for info,...what does ebay final price have to do with anything.
i thought book price meant the SCD big book or the Krause price guide ???

I think he meant you get more of an accurate price from recorded sales rather than a book. For example, the Vance card books for $1000, but the last PSA 7 NM sold for $1739 - $600 over book. Book price means nothing - actual recorded sales do.

doug.goodman
03-14-2011, 08:17 PM
Book price means nothing - actual recorded sales do.

I agree, and that can go either direction.

But, to be clear, we're talking about finished auctions that had a bid. Buy-It-Now listings are nothing more than seller best case dream scenarios in many (if not most) cases.

Doug

hangman62
03-14-2011, 08:19 PM
I follow you, but shouldnt a standard SCD price guide be a book which prices card that are not graded and slabbed..simply a NM - $ XXXX., an EX card - $ XXX, etc..
It seems to me that if every time a card is quoted in NM price at a PSA 8 or 9 NM ( which no doubt is extremely rare for pre war)..your raising the bar on all the lower grade cards also.
Lets say the 33G Vance was graded at PSA 8 and sold for $1400...its seems unfair to say...OK, Ex shape is 50% of the 1400,
A graded card price guide should be seperate from a basic price guide in my opinion

doug.goodman
03-14-2011, 08:33 PM
I'm not saying that the prices are connected in any way, I'm just saying that the catalog is pretty useless (usually) when it comes to actual prices.

Doug

vintagetoppsguy
03-14-2011, 08:48 PM
The SCD is really just a guide to get you somewhere in the ballpark. More people are relying on websites like VCP to where they can get actual recorded sales.

Lets say the 33G Vance was graded at PSA 8 and sold for $1400...its seems unfair to say...OK, Ex shape is 50% of the 1400,
A graded card price guide should be seperate from a basic price guide in my opinion

I know that's just an example, but in actuality VCP for a PSA 8 Vance is $7,467 and is only $207 for a PSA 5 EX. In other words, the EX card went for 3% of the NM-MT card. Now if you look in SCD, I am sure that it won't list an EX card at only 3% in relation to a NM-MT card. That's why book prices really don't mean much.

David W
03-15-2011, 09:31 AM
I think he meant you get more of an accurate price from recorded sales rather than a book. For example, the Vance card books for $1000, but the last PSA 7 NM sold for $1739 - $600 over book. Book price means nothing - actual recorded sales do.

That is what I meant. If you have either of those 3 cards in NM you should have them graded for clarity.

My NM might not be your NM.

Ebay and other auction sales are more indicative of the actual price you might expect to pay.