PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice - restoration?

SMPEP
03-08-2011, 09:59 AM
I recently picked up a low grade, uncut sheet of 1958 Topps cards (around 100 or so cards).

The edges of the sheet are a bit "brittle" (even removing the sheet from it's tube as carefully as I could resulted in some small pieces falling off) and it is rolled up up a bit from being stored in a tube and there are even some creases and one rip. (Picture attached.)

I've never had anything like this before ... and was wondering what's the best idea for restoring/preserving this. My thought was to have this framed, but I'm not exactly sure how to do this with the rolling, major creases and edges falling apart.

Should it be soaked to remove creases? (Will this cause the edges to deteriorate even further?)

Is there a safer way to flatten the sheet out so it can be framed?

Is there some restorer that it would be best to take this to? (How expensive would it be to use a professional restorer?)

Should/can I get the entire sheet "graded" (authenticated) to preserve it?

I really don't know what the best approach to this piece is ... and would appreciate hearing any advice or tips that the experts here could share with me. My goal is to preserve this because I can't imagine there are too many of these uncut sheets floating around, and it would be a shame to damage one.

Thanks,
Patrick

barrysloate
03-08-2011, 10:21 AM
If you want to do just the minimal amount of restoration, I would think a restorer could deacidify the paper and flatten the piece so it can be matted and framed. I wouldn't have him color the white spots because collectors do not like that. The piece has condition problems but you're lucky to have even found an uncut sheet so I would leave it with its creases and tears. By deacidifying it the paper will become significantly less brittle. That's all I would recommend you do.

T206Collector
03-08-2011, 03:28 PM
I would get the whole thing framed at a good framing shop, but I would have them hide behind a large matting the frayed edges, so the only viewed image would be of the complete cards. I would also recommend a form of acid-free backing, that could help keep the cards from continuing to deteriorate.

Do not soak Topps cards. They do not recover.

TipTopBread
03-08-2011, 07:11 PM
RECOMMENDED:

Graphic Conservation Company
329 West 18th Street • Suite 701 • Chicago IL 60616
info@graphicconservation.com • 312-738-2657

give them a call, and explain your situation! Ask to see examples of their works previously done!

ls7plus
03-08-2011, 11:13 PM
Nice acquisation, Patrick. Barry is absolutely right--you won't see many of those in any condition.

Larry

SMPEP
03-09-2011, 02:10 PM
Sounds like simplier is better. Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Cheers,
Patrick

Leon
03-10-2011, 10:01 AM
I would get the whole thing framed at a good framing shop, but I would have them hide behind a large matting the frayed edges, so the only viewed image would be of the complete cards. I would also recommend a form of acid-free backing, that could help keep the cards from continuing to deteriorate.

Do not soak Topps cards. They do not recover.

IF it were mine I would do this exactly. Mat out the edges, deacidify it and have it have some kind of preservation type material that it is matted to. I did the same thing with my large Horner Composite Photo. It also went from Graphic Conservation to me to a very, very good local company to do the framing and matting. Great looking piece...