PDA

View Full Version : Sweet Caporal Pins Question

skooter
03-07-2011, 02:11 PM
I've had many Sweet Caporal pins during my collecting years. However, today I received my first one that isn't described as "Whitehead & Hoag". The label reads "SWEET CAPORAL CIGARETTES - STANDARD FOR YEARS - Factory No.25 - 2nd District of VA." No mention of Whitehead & Hoag. Is this a legit label?
Also, I would like to know how other collectors of these, or any other pins, feel about the vast majority of graded ones on ebay? Personally, I like mine ungraded, and will probably breakout the graded ones I own. I'd like to hear from other collectors. Thanks.

perezfan
03-07-2011, 03:24 PM
I don't see the purpose in grading them either. Why can't the collector decide the condition? Have you seen the senseless prices that the the "high-grade" examples command? And many times there's little difference between a "5" and an "8"... sometimes the "5" actually looks better! The only purpose that grading might serve is to verify authenticity... but I don't think there are many/any fakes of these being produced or floating around.

Of course I could be mistaken, but would think that any such "reprints" would be far more costly to produce than cards (and would immediately be identified as reproductions).

skooter
03-07-2011, 10:10 PM
Thanks perezfan for saying exactly what I was thinking. Any help with the paper backing being legit if it dosen't say "Whitehead & Hoag"?

perezfan
03-08-2011, 12:20 AM
Not sure about that variation of the paper backing.

But I bet someone on the Card side might know, if you want to post the question over there. These Pins are collected similar to Cards, as they are a set... Someone over in the Pre-War Card Forum should have a definitive answer for you...

Dave4Reds
03-08-2011, 07:50 AM
I have about 25 Sweet Caporal pins, with only the three different backs shown below. There may be more, but only one has "Whitehead & Hoag" on back... I'm pretty sure they are all legit.

skooter
03-08-2011, 03:57 PM
Thanks Dave4Reds, mine is exactly like the one on the right. You made my day!