PDA

View Full Version : I Just Discovered A Very Rare Autograph In A Very Surprising Place

tolstoi
03-06-2011, 11:38 PM
So, I mostly specialize in Vintage tobacco and Gum cards and really don't heavily collect Autos unless they have some special "Got it in person" vibe to them. But recently I have been visiting Estate Sales and I purchased a small collection of WWII Letters. In one of the envelopes I found a bunch of rolled up bills, or currency notes that were all taped together. I took these to a coin dealer and he told me they were all ruined because of the tape. He offered me like ten or twelve bucks for the lot of them (there were like 25-30 of them) I said I would keep them try and remove the tape and stick them in a binder for my collection.

Anyways, I was able to separate the bills about 80% with no damage at all to the bills. And as I was going through the bills in the interior of the roll I noticed they were signed by various ppl, apparently known as short snorters and the sigs were from airmen during WWII. As I studied the names I discovered that one of the sigs was none other then Charles A. Lindbergh...I thought it is pretty cool, sometimes you never know what you got.

One question, who authenticates historical items like this? Do I even need to have it authenticated if I want to put it on ebay? I know auto photos of sports stars are often forged and need COA's but what about historical documents and things like the short snorter I found. I know its not a replica sig, and defintitely looks like the examples of his sig I have researched online.

I will scan the bill when I get my scanner running asap.

GrayGhost
03-07-2011, 04:58 AM
I know JSA certifies "historical autographs" too, but you would likely benefit from someone who is more specialized in this area. An internet search, or maybe Richard on here would know. I can't wait to see the scan.

That is a REALLY cool item, w a great story. :)

Scott Garner
03-07-2011, 05:13 AM
Hey Tolstoi,
That's an unbelieveable story. WOW! Nice pickup & I can't wait to see a scan when you can post it. Congrats!

steve B
03-07-2011, 07:20 AM
First time I've heard of an offer below face value for currency. Sounds like a dealer I wouldn't do much business with.

Looking at a couple places online, I'm thinking you might do better with a real auction house. Great find! http://www.historyforsale.com/html/display.aspx?page=32&sort=0&start=1&signer=L

one of the guys here seems like a good contact.
http://www.charleslindbergh.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=000675

Persoanlly I'd consider keeping the items together. Or at least the items less the lindbergh auto. As a group especially including the lindbergh they tell a bigger story, and probably have more value both historic and financially.

Some info on Lindbergh in WWII here
http://www.charleslindbergh.com/wwii/

Steve B

IronHorse2130
03-07-2011, 11:32 AM
Tolstoi - Great find! I collect old military items and would be interested in buying the short snorters if you decide to sell. The one signed by Lindbergh should bring some nice money and you are probably better off consigning that to an auction house. I would be interested in the other, common short snorters though. Shoot me a PM if interested.

Thanks,
Ben

drc
03-07-2011, 12:15 PM
PSA/DNA does non-sport autographs. Also, you can do a PSA Quick Opinion on eBay.

tolstoi
03-07-2011, 12:17 PM
Here is a scan of the snorter with the sig. I am really curious if anyone might recognize any of the other sigs? This was also one of about four or five short snorters in the roll.

edtiques
03-07-2011, 12:36 PM
Wow!! Great item.Congratulations on your find.

tolstoi
03-07-2011, 12:53 PM
Here are some of the pics of the other short snorters i discovered in the roll. I also was surprised at the dealer who offered me so little, but I think it was because i had a lot of foreign currency which he said wasn't worth much and he was trying to explain how he needed to make a profit too. I figured pretty quickly to say I just wanted to collect them, and than the dealer told me some useful info about the Hawaii stamped currency in case of Japanese invasion, etc.

Thanks!

IronHorse2130
03-07-2011, 01:10 PM
Most short snorters sell for $10-$20.00 each. Of course ones with famous signatures or those signed by members of special units will go for more. I like looking up the names of the soldiers, sailors and airmen to see if I can find the unit they were in.

tolstoi
03-07-2011, 01:42 PM
here are some close up pics as requested

http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc434/tolstoi1/SHORTSNORTERLOT_crop1.jpg

http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc434/tolstoi1/shorty1.jpg

RichardSimon
03-07-2011, 08:42 PM
First time I've heard of an offer below face value for currency. Sounds like a dealer I wouldn't do much business with.

Looking at a couple places online, I'm thinking you might do better with a real auction house. Great find! http://www.historyforsale.com/html/display.aspx?page=32&sort=0&start=1&signer=L

one of the guys here seems like a good contact.
http://www.charleslindbergh.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=000675

Persoanlly I'd consider keeping the items together. Or at least the items less the lindbergh auto. As a group especially including the lindbergh they tell a bigger story, and probably have more value both historic and financially.

Some info on Lindbergh in WWII here
http://www.charleslindbergh.com/wwii/

Steve B

History for Sale, while I believe their inventory to be authentic, charges prices that nobody else in the world charges. They are a showroom in Vegas, probably selling to high rollers who have no clue.
They don't buy from the public and they won't auction any items from the public.

steve B
03-08-2011, 10:38 AM
That explains why they were first in search. :(

There were a few other sites, and Lindbergh does seem to sell pretty well.

I still think the group would have a bit more value historically if kept together, and might enhance the Lindbergh as it would give a bit of context.

Steve B

David Atkatz
03-08-2011, 10:47 AM
Nice find!

(BTW, the entire roll of signed bills, taped together is a "short snorter," not each individual bill.)

ChiefBenderForever
03-08-2011, 11:19 AM
That is an awesome story !! I grew up 20 miles from where Lindberg was born and raised, his house was right on the mighty Mississippi, it was always cool to go to where he played as a kid and see a lot of his stuff. In the 1990s a class did an escavation project down by the river and found marbles and toys that were dated to most likely being things Lindberg played with as a kid, the coolest thing was a little civil war soldier. Being in the middle of nowhere was nice to know someone who escaped the midwest and traveled the world. 17 miles the other direction born and raised was Sinclair Lewis, was fun to play sports againts the Flyers and Mainstreeters growing up ! And of course from 30 miles north my favorite Chief Bender !!

GrayGhost
03-08-2011, 11:35 AM
Another reason why collectibles, especially when they cross history like this, are so awesome. That whole story/bills/sigs is AWESOME. I agree keeping them together is a great plan, unless you feel you have to sell the Lindbergh at this point.

tolstoi
03-08-2011, 12:42 PM
I think you guys are right about keeping it all together. So, if I was to put this on Ebay, you think I should lot all the bills together including the lindbergh? I probably should at least sell the Lindbergh because I could use the extra cash and it will be fun to see how it does. Thanks for all the contacts, advice, and info everyone :)

whitey19thcentury
03-08-2011, 12:52 PM
Very cool! The only time I got a "find" like that was at an area auction about 10 years ago. I was there with my parents and my mom bought a box lot of paper ephemera that was mostly vintage Valentines. I think she bought the box for like 40-50 bucks.

The runner brought it back to us and I was rooting through the other paper. I came across an old blank check from a bank in California. I looked on the back and saw "Curly - 3 Stooges" signed on it.

Needless to say, that by piecing out the Valentine's and flipping the Curly sig on eBay, my mom got a nice return.