PDA

View Full Version : No Love for the Philly Show, This weekend

JamesGallo
03-03-2011, 12:11 PM
Maybe Ted isn't coming as he is usally the one that posts this!!

Philly show this weekend Fri-Sun.

http://www.huntauctions.com/

Come one come all. After all it is the first show of the new year and the first show with reduced table prices which should bring back all the lost dealers right :-P

I will be at 1515 so come by and make a deal.

James G

deadballera
03-03-2011, 12:36 PM
we need some shows on the West Coast !!

JamesGallo
03-03-2011, 12:39 PM
we need some shows on the West Coast !!

Nah you should just come to the east coast and visit. Much more fun on this side of the country :-D

James G

Rich Klein
03-04-2011, 05:10 AM
That he was no longer going to be setting up at this show; thus no post from him to publicize.

And looking at the show line up it's a far cry from what it was when Bob S was running the show a few years ago with maybe 1-2 players a day at the most singing autographs.

Rich

bh3443
03-04-2011, 05:22 AM
If this was the 80's, I'd be on my way to the George Washington Motor lodge right now at 7am. Bob Thing would have stayed at our house last night and we'd have a nice breakfast and head to the Philly area stopping at many card shops along the way!
One of our favorite stores was in CT owned by Neal, a famous Mantle, Howdy Doody, JFK and Marilyn collector and expert! I can't remember his last name but you must know him!
At least we have the love for our great community here o Net54!
Have a great weekend everyone,
Bill Hedin

e107collector
03-04-2011, 06:36 AM
I will be skipping the show this weekend, but I will be attending the CSA Show at Oaks next month.

I think the Oaks Show is going to be great.

Tony

btcarfagno
03-04-2011, 07:52 AM
I will be skipping the show this weekend, but I will be attending the CSA Show at Oaks next month.

I think the Oaks Show is going to be great.

Tony

I hope so Tony. I will be setting up at the Oaks show (my first time in almost 20 years). I very much look forward to seeing many on this board...and hopefully selling off some of my new toys!! Very much looking forward to it.

Tom C

Leon
03-04-2011, 07:54 AM
I hope so Tony. I will be setting up at the Oaks show (my first time in almost 20 years). I very much look forward to seeing many on this board...and hopefully selling off some of my new toys!! Very much looking forward to it.

Tom C

I will be setting up Brockelman & Luckey Auctions at the Oaks show. I am looking forward to it very much!!! Hope to meet guys on the board I have never met before, make some new friends, pick up some things for the auction and hopefully something for the collection....all at once!!

sports-rings
03-04-2011, 07:59 AM
can someone please post a link to a site that has information on this show?

thanks!

GrayGhost
03-04-2011, 08:03 AM
If this was the 80's, I'd be on my way to the George Washington Motor lodge right now at 7am. Bob Thing would have stayed at our house last night and we'd have a nice breakfast and head to the Philly area stopping at many card shops along the way!
One of our favorite stores was in CT owned by Neal, a famous Mantle, Howdy Doody, JFK and Marilyn collector and expert! I can't remember his last name but you must know him!
At least we have the love for our great community here o Net54!
Have a great weekend everyone,
Bill Hedin

Neil Sakow, who later had the American Dream Museum. He was a very good friend of mine. Sadly, Neil's health has declined from what I hear, and I haven't seen him in a long time.

peterose4hof
03-04-2011, 08:33 AM
Can someone tell me please, when and where the Oaks Show is? I am jonesing for a good show and don't want to wait until August for The National.

e107collector
03-04-2011, 08:52 AM
Here is the Link, I hope it works

http://www.csashows.com/

It's April 15-17, 2011

The dealer list is on the website, and SGC will be there for on-site grading.

I believe SGC is no longer doing on-site grading at Valley Forge. Can anyone confirm this?

Tony

cfc1909
03-04-2011, 11:21 AM
no on site grading for SGC at Valley Forge. Go to the SGC web site and it will have a list of shows that they attend and what shows they accept submissions and what shows they grade on site.

sports-rings
03-04-2011, 11:23 AM
How big is the Philly show compared to the Westchester or Long island National? Any help would be appreicatd,

thanks,

matthew
03-04-2011, 07:26 PM
How long are the autograph lines? I was going to mail order a couple of items, but there was a $5 mail fee & a $10 fee to return my item.

ValKehl
03-04-2011, 08:13 PM
What Tony N. said in post #6 + 1.
Val

JamesGallo
03-04-2011, 08:46 PM
First off, SGC is not doing onsite grading at this show. I am not happy about this.

Second, it was quite today and the show is even a bit smaller then the Dec show.

Third, as far as pre war dealers there is more that at the westcester show, however overall at this point it is probably a smaller show.

As for the autograph lines, the flyers they had today seemed to go pretty fast, it really just depends on the person.

James G

bcbgcbrcb
03-05-2011, 03:34 AM
Like many others, I will be skipping this one and attending the Oaks Show in April. I already took the day off from work on Friday, April 15.

judsonhamlin
03-05-2011, 08:06 AM
I am skipping this one also, in favor of the Oaks show - on Friday, also

bh3443
03-05-2011, 09:16 AM
Wow, what a change!
I recall that I viewed the March Philly show as the premiere event that set the pace for the new year. The March event signaling that the current was was out for Baseball. Thus, it was time to open it make sets and then move on with the profits to help fund purchases in to more vintage cards!
In closing, I'm doing the same thing right now on my dining room table.
My trading network on net54 includes the great guys such as Rich Klien, Neal Kublin and more. We have fun ans move many cards anv a bunch more!

Thanks, my friends,
BIll Hedin
Framingham, MASS

bsdbsll

Jewish-collector
03-05-2011, 06:15 PM
The Philly show used to be if not the best, then one of the better shows on the entire east coast. What a sad story that it is a shell of what it used to be.

bbcard1
03-05-2011, 08:04 PM
I will be setting up at the Oaks Show. First show I have set up at in ten years. Trying to liquidate some of the bulikier items from my friend's collection...ones that don't really make sense on ebay. Stuff like his extensive book collection and framed prints that a lot of people would enjoy but isn't a good fit for ebay. Will also bring a couple of showcases of stuff just to play around with. I hear I am setting up by Teddy Z, which I am looking forward to.

Irwin Fletcher
03-05-2011, 08:17 PM
I was at the Philly Show today. It wasn't too big or crowded, but I did pretty well. Picked up a nice 1937 Exhibits Four-on-One and R311 Glossy Pirates Team Photo for my Arky Vaughan player set, as well as some 1934 Goudeys that I needed. I got great deals on all of them.

basesareempty
03-06-2011, 04:11 PM
I was at the show today and the show looked smaller then it ever had. In it's heyday I used to have to write down Asile #'s to remember where dealers were that I wanted to go back to see after looking the whole show over. This is no longer necessary. The thing that also stood out to me was that some of the larger dealers had a smaller setup at this show such as Levi at 707 only had 2 tables at a corner booth and Steve Hart of Baseball Card Exchange only had a single table with 2 showcases and only a few unopened boxes for sale. Was looking forward to buying some unopened packs from him to crack on the ride home. Heard a lot of buzz from dealers and collectors alike about the upcoming Oaks show.I thing this is going to be a good one. In fairness most dealers I talked to said they had strong sales on Friday and Saturday.

Bob

chris
03-07-2011, 01:21 PM
I just got home from a brutal drive through snow and rain from the Philly show... Despite the long drive for me the show was a great success. I met many great people and saw many friends I hadn't seen in months. I had a blast and was extremely happy with the show, every dealer I spoke with stated the same. While there were fewer tables than usual the attendance on Friday and Sat. was terrific. I made a lot of sales and bought a ton of stuff. I wish some of you guys wouldn't bash the show. There are very few good shows left anymore and I would hate to lose another great show. I agree the table fees are high but Hunts Promotion of the show was top notch as the attendance was great. I will be set up at the Oaks Show in a few weeks and look forward to seeing you all there.

Chris
bucklercards.com
:)