PDA

View Full Version : Give me your opinion on this subject...

VinTX
03-01-2011, 03:08 PM
ok...this is KIND OF similar to another thread on here, but its kind of a different take on it so I decided it was worth a new thread.

Somebody on here earlier was asking about resale value of cards graded by PSA vs SGC or BVG...I'm looking at it a little differently and it may affect people's responses to the question.

I tend to work on multiple projects at the same time, or atleast know what project I am going to start on next after my current one is done. Currently I'm working on a '55 topps raw set, but when thinking about what to do next (and seeing some other people who've done this) I decided I'd like to put together a set that is all graded.

So...the question is this. I don't want them to be mixed. I either want the entire set to be PSA, or the entire set to be SGC. The set that I have in mind, incase that affects your opinion, is the 1954 Topps set. So which would be the better one to go with in your opinion? I'm leaning towards PSA since its a "more recognized" name, but not necessarily opposed to going another direction. I'm wanting to know what you guys think as you're likely much better versed in what's what :)

vintagetoppsguy
03-01-2011, 03:33 PM
Good choice on the '54 set. I need 1 more card to finish mine (Hank Aaron RC). I can't answer your question because that's really a matter or personal preference. Mine is mostly raw with the exception of the stars which are all graded between SGC 60-70. If you decide on SGC, let me know what condition you pefer because I have an extra Williams #1 and Snider each SGC 60 and a raw Mathews EX all for sale of trade. Good luck with the set.

pwilk17
03-01-2011, 04:27 PM
PSA is the better choice if you care about resale value one day

mintacular
03-01-2011, 07:37 PM
You might also consider how many are available. For example, I just did a search of graded Jackie Robinsons and got 34 hits for PSA and 5 for SGC...So for a building full sets you really should just go with PSA

steve B
03-01-2011, 09:27 PM
PSA is probably the way to go for modern stuff. More out there, and better resale later on. Personally I prefer SGC, but have only sent in a handful of T cards. I like the look of the holders a lot more.

I have a bit of a hangup about paying $100 for the privilege of spending money with someone, but that really only matters if you will be sending in some cards.

I do enjoy the submitting the cards and waiting for the grades, it's kind of like a fun quiz, and also a bit like buying the cards all over again.

Steve B

novakjr
03-02-2011, 12:04 PM
You might also consider how many are available. For example, I just did a search of graded Jackie Robinsons and got 34 hits for PSA and 5 for SGC...So for a building full sets you really should just go with PSA

I have to agree. The first thing I though when reading the original post, was that many of these cards will be more common in a PSA slab, making it a lot easier to put together. It's nothing against SGC, but if you're looking to put together a full set without struggling to find certain cards that otherwise shouldn't be hard to find, PSA is definitely the way to go.

VinTX
03-02-2011, 04:03 PM
well it looks like we have a consensus...thanks for all the info guys :) PSA it is!

geor952
03-02-2011, 05:11 PM
Sounds like you've made a good decision. I am a Koufax away from a '55 set and too want to complete an all PSA set after I obtain the Koufax. I much prefer SGC for my T206s, but only buy PSA for post 52s. I am half way there on a 1972 team set of REDS, in PSA 8, and really enjoy it. There are a lot more PSA cards out there. Enjoy the hunt!