PDA

View Full Version : Net54 Fantasy Baseball League

ibuysportsephemera
03-01-2011, 12:24 PM
Is there currently a Net54 Fantasy Baseball League? If so, are there openings?

If there is not....would there be any interest in starting a league? I am thinking a moderate price ($50 to $100) mixed league straight draft with some form of keepers so that everyone would be interested year after year.

Please let me know.

Jeff

Leon
03-02-2011, 01:01 PM
I don't do fantasy stuff, I have enough of my own situations :), but I thought it might help to put this on the main board. It's for all Net54baseball members so why not help a little with moving it? Good luck in the endeavor.....

margoaepi
03-02-2011, 01:17 PM
I'm clearly a newbie, but I'd be interested if we got a group together and the guys were serious.

ibuysportsephemera
03-02-2011, 01:28 PM
Thanks Leon...I was wondering why there weren't any replies.

Jeff

bh3443
03-02-2011, 01:54 PM
Hi Jeff,
I've never been involved in any fantasy leagues, however, I'd love to join and learn how to do it. Sounds like fun and just what I need to occupy these many hours at home! Count me in!
Regards,
Bill Hedin
bh3443

chris
03-02-2011, 03:26 PM
Count me in, if guys put one together.

Chris :)

ibuysportsephemera
03-02-2011, 08:23 PM
Good to see that we have 4 including myself. I think that we would need 8 at a minimum but 10 or 12 would be ideal. Who else is in?

Jeff

AndyG09
03-02-2011, 08:42 PM
Jeff, I'd be down to do it. Would be my third league this season. Let me know the details.

Best,

Andy

DWilliams
03-02-2011, 08:47 PM
I would be in also. I can set up a league on espn if people want. The only hard part is finding a draft time that works for a lot of people.

bh3443
03-02-2011, 09:12 PM
Hi guys,
I'm 100% in for this! I just need your guidance as I've never done this before but have an idea how it works. I'll probably be the 1962 Mets of the League but I'll have fun!
I'm available for the draft basically anytime, so work out your schedules as I'm always around!
If any of you have a link to help me learn the process, please post it or send it via message.
I'm very happy and excited to be included!
Thanks,
Bill Hedin
bh3443

Comiskey
03-02-2011, 09:14 PM
I would be in as well. Considering that that's my brother (Dwilliams) above, I want to make sure that I can at least beat him in fantasy Baseball! What do you guys think about incorporating some vintage cards, as well as, a few bucks to the winner(s)? We could each donate a card, of equal value, and the winner gets three of their choice, second gets two of their choice, etc.

It would be fun, lets hear some other details.

Jeff W.

bh3443
03-02-2011, 09:17 PM
I would be in as well. Considering that that's my brother (Dwilliams) above, I want to make sure that I can at least beat him in fantasy Baseball! What do you guys think about incorporating some vintage cards, as well as, a few bucks to the winner(s)? We could each donate a card, of equal value, and the winner gets three of their choice, second gets two of their choice, etc.

It would be fun, lets hear some other details.

Jeff W.

Jeff,
Great idea! I'm down for this aspect as well. This will be fun for sure!
Thanks,
Bill Hedin
:D

baseball tourist
03-02-2011, 09:51 PM
Thought I'd responded in the affirmative earlier? Guess not. Pls count me in. Chris W.

T206DK
03-02-2011, 10:52 PM
I'd play if there are openings left :cool:

pariah1107
03-02-2011, 11:33 PM
edited...

ElCabron
03-03-2011, 12:24 AM
I'm in for a money league.

-Ryan

nebboy
03-03-2011, 07:57 AM
A few Net54 guys did a MLB.com league last years. Its was a nice easy (cutdown version) league and leaves all the work hard to the site. Even did a T-card side bit.

If there is any room leave, I'd also like a spot and would be in for whatever (prize-side bits) that is members come up with.

Thanks - John H - Nebboy

ibuysportsephemera
03-03-2011, 08:49 AM
I would be in also. I can set up a league on espn if people want. The only hard part is finding a draft time that works for a lot of people.

I am in leagues on Yahoo and CBS Sportsline. I will research those 2 and ESPN and we can see what is the best fit.

I agree that the finding a convenient draft time can be difficult.

At my last count we are at 11. That is a great start and I think we can plan on 12 teams.

If anyone is still interested, please keep posting. My experience is that by draft day, there will be a bunch of teams that no longer want to participate or were not available for the draft.

I plan on doing some research this afternoon and starting to put together format and rules for everyone to review. If anyone wants to participate in the planning, let me know. My goal is to create a league that is fun, competitive and will last from year to year. I have been in one league for 22 years and we have had the same owners (from 4 different States) for the last 10 years. We draft in person in Albany NY and everyone considers it their 2nd Christmas morning.

DWilliams
03-03-2011, 10:20 AM
Here are my thoughts:

We can do a 10 pr 12 team league depending on how many people want to play.

Standard 5x5 root league, meaning the categories would be:

Batting Average
Runs Scored
Stolen Bases
Home Runs
RBI's

ERA
WHIP
Saves
Strikeouts
Wins

For positions
Catcher
First Base
Second Base
Third Base
Short Stop
Middle Infield (2b or SS)
Corner Infield (1b of 3b)
4 or 5 Outfielders
Utility (can be any position)
9 pitchers (starters or relievers)
3-5 Bench spots
2 Disabled List

For buy in, $50 sounds good to me.

Maybe 3rd place gets $50, 2nd gets $100, winner gets the rest. We could also incorporate cards into this part.

Fuddjcal
03-03-2011, 12:21 PM
As a 25+ year professional fantasy baseball player:D, I would steer clear of ESPN's leagues.

CBS and yahoo work much better IMHO. ESPN always has some bugs to it. If the stats don't work right from the beginning, the newbies will lose their way and not want to play again. Also, I would strongly suggest you set up rules for trading, or better yet use FAAB$$$ for free agents and play NO TRADES, like the NFBC. Much more enjoyable when you don't have the Moe, larry, and curly trades for A-rod in the first week with newbies that don't know wTF they're doing. it will destroy your league from the get go.

I'd play but I don't really want to beat the stuffing out of you fine fellas here and I don't need the money that bad. FUDD

Leon
03-03-2011, 01:34 PM
As a 25+ year professional fantasy baseball player:D, I would steer clear of ESPN's leagues.

I'd play but I don't really want to beat the stuffing out of you fine fellas here and I don't need the money that bad. FUDD

That sounds like a challenge to me :)

margoaepi
03-03-2011, 02:12 PM
My strong preference is Yahoo, it is free, and easy to use. I think a 12-14 team league should be fun. Everyone on here is a real fan, so perhaps making the rosters deep could make things more interesting. Be great if we could figure out a live draft!

M's_Fan
03-03-2011, 02:37 PM
I'd be interested in a rotisserie league (I vote Yahoo), but only if there no buy-in or at least a very small buy-in, as I'm guaranteed not to win...

Don't forget on-base percentage or slugging percentage (or OPS, which is both) as stats...

ibuysportsephemera
03-03-2011, 07:53 PM
Sorry, it has been a crazy day. I will try tomorrow to get a Yahoo League set up. Good suggestions from everyone. I agree with almost all of Dan's (thanks Dan!) thoughts about categories and rosters.

Not sure about the card part (I personally don't do cards so I am not sure what I can offer). I was thinking that anyone who wanted to do cards could do it as a secondary fee? Input is welcome.

Tomorrow I will also try to post some dates for the draft.

Thanks everyone for the interest.

Jeff

DWilliams
03-03-2011, 08:34 PM
Sorry, it has been a crazy day. I will try tomorrow to get a Yahoo League set up. Good suggestions from everyone. I agree with almost all of Dan's (thanks Dan!) thoughts about categories and rosters.

Not sure about the card part (I personally don't do cards so I am not sure what I can offer). I was thinking that anyone who wanted to do cards could do it as a secondary fee? Input is welcome.

Tomorrow I will also try to post some dates for the draft.

Thanks everyone for the interest.

Jeff

Sounds great! Count me and my brother (Comisky above) in!

cliftons8
03-03-2011, 08:52 PM
I am also very interested in playing. Count me in if there is room. I was in the league with Nebboy last year ( Hi John) and lost a T205 to him. I'm ready for payback.:)

Mike

dougscats
03-04-2011, 07:14 AM
Count me in if it's not too late.

I've been thinking of posting the same message for the past couple of days.

I've been doing fantasy for many years.

Yahoo offers it for free.

How many teams do you have so far?

Doug

ibuysportsephemera
03-04-2011, 03:12 PM
Based on the responses above...these are the first 12 people to respond:

Jeff G.- Ibuysportsephemera
margoaepi
Bill-bh3443
Chris- chris
Andy-AndyG09
Dan-DWilliams
Jeff W.- Comiskey
Chris W.- baseball tourist
T206DK
Ryan- NoizeBringer
John H - Nebboy
M's_Fan

Reserves- 1) Mike- cliftons8 and 2) Doug- dougscats

More to Follow shortly......

ibuysportsephemera
03-04-2011, 03:16 PM
NET54 FBL- Yahoo League # 125204

Draft Day Tentatively scheduled for Monday 3/28 @ 8:30 PM. We can discuss this because I needed to add a date when setting up the league.

Please send me your e-mail address so I can invite you to join (ibuysportsephemera@gmail.com)

Entry Fee- $50. Prizes are as follows:
10 Teams- 1st Place- $250 2nd Place- $ 175 3rd Place- $75
12 Teams- 1st Place- $300 2nd Place- $ 175 3rd Place- $75 4th Place- $50

Money to be collected in April. As commissioner, I would be happy to hold the money but if others are uncomfortable with this, maybe Leon or another moderator will agree to hold the money. We can discuss.

5x5 Mixed Straight Draft.

5 Protected players each year. Second year Draft Order will be as follows: 1st and 2nd Round in reverse order of previous year finish. 3rd Round in order of previous year finish. Remaining rounds randomly drawn in increments of 2 with 2nd round being in reverse order of the first round. No position requirements for off season trading. In season trades must meet roster requirements.

The general rules are posted on the league page and should be reviewed after joining. If there is a rule that you do not agree with, please contact me to discuss.

Scoring Categories-
Batting- Batting Average, Runs Scored, Stolen Bases, Home Runs, RBI's

Pitching Categories- ERA, WHIP, Saves, Strikeouts, Wins

Positions- Catcher, First Base, Second Base, Third Base , Short Stop
Middle Infield (2b or SS), Corner Infield (1b of 3b), 5 Outfielders
1 Utility (can be any position), 9 pitchers (6 starters , 2 relievers 1 either SP or RP)
2 Bench spots, 4 Disabled List

Please contact me with any questions. Thanks, Jeff

Comiskey
03-04-2011, 05:18 PM
Thanks for setting everything up! I will sign up today.

Jeff W.

T206DK
03-04-2011, 08:45 PM
this ought to be fun. I've been playing fantasy baseball since 1993. Thanks for setting everything up Jeff. Your tentative draft day work perfect for me

ibuysportsephemera
03-06-2011, 10:34 AM
Invites to the first 12 responding teams were sent out on Friday. 8 Teams have registered so far. Can the remaining 4 please register ASAP.

The most important thing is firming up the date of the draft. I am hoping that the original date of Monday 3/28 @ 8:30 PM EST proposed will work (I haven't heard anyone say it doesn't).

Thanks,

Jeff

AndyG09
03-06-2011, 10:44 AM
Jeff, I am good on that Monday. Looking forward to it.

Best,

Andy

Comiskey
03-06-2011, 06:12 PM
Alright, all signed up and ready to go! Thanks for setting this up.

Jeff W.

M's_Fan
03-28-2011, 02:23 PM
I had to withdraw from the league as I have had some recent things come up that will demand 110% of my time. Apologies for any inconvenience I may have caused. Perhaps someone else is interested in taking my spot...

JeremyW
03-28-2011, 02:42 PM
PM or email me if you need another player. The draft is tonight, correct?

nebboy
03-28-2011, 02:47 PM
No - it's in about 3hr and 40min - should be fun!!!!!!!:)

ibuysportsephemera
03-28-2011, 03:07 PM
Jeremy is in and we are back to 12. See you all online tonight.

Jeff

Comiskey
03-28-2011, 04:13 PM
Hi guys

Super excited about the draft! What time is everybody going online?

Jeff W.

chris
03-28-2011, 04:21 PM
The Speed Demons will be on at 8. Looking forward to the draft. Thanks for setting this up.

Chris

T206DK
03-28-2011, 04:26 PM
I've never used yahoo for fantasy sports. do you just enter the draft by going to "Draft Central"

ibuysportsephemera
03-28-2011, 04:37 PM
I've never used yahoo for fantasy sports. do you just enter the draft by going to "Draft Central"

About 45 minutes before the draft it will bring you to the drafting area. Just click your team.

My daughter is being honored tonight as the High School so I will not be back until about 8:15.

Jeff

ElCabron
03-28-2011, 09:31 PM
Fun draft guys. Drafting 11th of 12 definitely threw my strategy off a bit, but I'm still pretty happy with what I got. I turned some heads by taking Nelson Cruz with the 14th pick, but since I was 11th in the order, that means my next pick after 14 wasn't until the 35th pick, and couldn't risk not getting him. There are a handful of players I'm hot on for this year and Cruz is one of them. Shin-Soo Choo and Carlos Santana are two others who I think are ready for monster years and Choo went with 32nd pick, before I could nab him at 35. I just couldn't risk that happening with Cruz. Last year I took Carlos Gonzalez around the same pick I took Cruz with this year and won my league, largely due to him. I think there are a lot of "sleeper" pitchers this year as well.

I got robbed a bunch of times in this draft with my next selection being taken with the pick right before me, but I'm sure all of us had that happen a bunch.

If I had wound up with the first pick of the draft, I really would have turned some heads by taking Troy Tulowitzki, who wound up going 6th. Whoever got Tulo and Cargo, take a look at my team and let me know if I have anything that would pry either of them away from you. All players are available.

Anyway, I'd like to pay my league fees. Where can I send them? By Paypal?

-Ryan

ibuysportsephemera
03-29-2011, 05:11 AM
Good draft everyone. As Ryan said, I too was thrown by picking last (12th). I am not all that happy with the results, but it is a long season.

I will send an e-mail about entry fee later today.

Thanks to all for participating, hopefully this will be the first draft of many for the NET54 FBL!

Jeff

nebboy
03-29-2011, 06:02 AM
:eek: AHHHHHHHHHHH - I drafted a guy that was retired on my 2nd team of the night. So I put down my glass of GIN untill after the rest of the draft.

ibuysportsephemera
02-09-2012, 08:18 PM
Invitations were sent to all Team Owners from last year. If you will not be participating, please let me know so we can start to find other owners. Remember that this is supposed to be a keeper league with 5 protectible players. If that is a problem with anyone, we can hold a vote of returning teams to either have keepers or reset each year.

Looking forward to another fun year!

Jeff

AndyG09
02-09-2012, 08:23 PM
Jeff,

I'm back for sure. Had a great time last year. Do I keep Bryce Harper is the question? Long term potential vs. now? Looking forward to another great season.

Best,

Andy

T206DK
02-09-2012, 09:30 PM
we had one last season on yahoo. It was pretty competetive. If we do it again you guys can count me in

YankeeCollector
02-13-2012, 06:11 AM
I would like to join if any spots free up.

ibuysportsephemera
02-13-2012, 08:24 AM
We have 7 confirmed teams at this point. 1 team dropped but was picked up by another Net54 member who contacted me. Invitations were sent and there are 5 who have not responded. Please LMK if you will be returning.

Once the final 12 are in place we will need to decide on 1) should we do the 5 protectables or re draft every year and 2) what date the draft will be held.

Thanks,

Jeff

Vol
02-13-2012, 12:31 PM
I would like to join if any spots free up.

Me as well..if you need another player, please lemme know.
Thanky.

nebboy
02-13-2012, 08:26 PM
Im in for another year. Look forward to a better year. I would rather re-daft but I have a nice core team so if we stay with the keeper format Im OK with it also.

irishdenny
02-13-2012, 11:41 PM
I'm in!!! if there's still room!

The Net54 Basketball March madness winner gets the Hal Chase Holding Trophy card. Maybe we can come up with a card of similar caliper and we could pass it around year in and out.

ibuysportsephemera
02-14-2012, 04:53 AM
We are up to 8 teams. Still waiting for 4 responses. We do have 4 new members interested, so please get back to me as soon as possible.

Thanks,

Jeff

ibuysportsephemera
02-14-2012, 11:14 AM
I heard back from one of the teams from last year and he is out. In order of when you contacted me, the following members have asked to participate:

YankeeCollector
Fred
VolnVegas
Irishdenny

I will be sending an invite through Yahoo to YankeeCollector.

For all those interested, the general rules are in the middle of this thread. Except for the protected players which we still need to vote on, the league will operate the same way as last year.

Thanks,

Jeff

ibuysportsephemera
02-14-2012, 12:34 PM
One more team dropped out and an invitation has been sent to Fred. 2 more teams to hear from and 2 more Net54 members who are interested.

Still trying to figure out the protected situation. I will keep you posted.

Jeff

Fred
02-14-2012, 05:19 PM
PM sent - count me in.

tcdyess
02-14-2012, 06:12 PM
Sorry I didn't reply sooner, I would love to play if needed..

Tim

Sixtofan
02-14-2012, 06:41 PM
You can add me to the list if a slot opens up

Gradedcardman
02-14-2012, 06:52 PM
As well

ibuysportsephemera
02-14-2012, 08:59 PM
Ok, we are waiting for one more team from last year to let me know if he is coming back. IrishDenny is the next in line to get the final team.

Thanks to the other people that are interested. The returning members are voting on keepers and then we will vote on expansion to 14. I will keep everyone posted.

Jeff

irishdenny
02-14-2012, 09:05 PM
Thanks Jeff!

T206DK
02-14-2012, 09:08 PM
Ok, we are waiting for one more team from last year to let me know if he is coming back. IrishDenny is the next in line to get the final team.

Thanks to the other people that are interested. The returning members are voting on keepers and then we will vote on expansion to 14. I will keep everyone posted.

Jeff

When are we going to vote ? If we have keepers at 5 per team then expanding to 14 teams would really leave the player pool thin for the new people

ibuysportsephemera
02-14-2012, 09:18 PM
When are we going to vote ? If we have keepers at 5 per team then expanding to 14 teams would really leave the player pool thin for the new people

Dave, It looks like we will be going with the keepers. If so we would not be able to expand unless everyone favored expansion and not protection. I will e-mail the original 7 tomorrow.

Jeff

ibuysportsephemera
02-15-2012, 07:03 AM
I heard back from 4 of the original 7 (sounds like Hockey) and Keepers it is. This is getting a little crazy so I think that we should leave it at 12 teams. I will email all of this as well. One team from last year has not responded, but I am not expecting him to return. I have e-mailed IrishDenny and he understands that if last years team wants back in he goes back to being on deck. The last 3 teams to say that they were interested were: Tim, Dave and Adam. My experience is that we will probably need at least 1 of you by draft day.

The new teams will be (in order of when they contacted me) 19cbb, YankeeCollector, Fred, VOLnVEGAS and IrishDenny. I am going to send out an excel spreadsheet to all owners with last years rosters and the start of this years drafting order. Jimmy (19cbb) has already taken his team. The other 4 new teams should look at the rosters and send me in order your preference for which team you would like. Based on when you signed up is the priority of your choice. Once we have the teams set I can finalize the league, set the draft order and set up the rosters for the new teams.

NET54 FBL- Yahoo League # 9250

Draft Day Tentatively scheduled for Monday April 2 @ 8:00 PM. Protected players are due on March 24<sup>th</sup>. You will be able to replace a keeper with someone else from your roster if he has a severe injury between the protected date and the draft.

Entry Fee- $50. Prizes are as follows:
12 Teams- 1st Place- $300 2nd Place- $ 175 3rd Place- $75 4th Place- $50

Money to be collected in April.

5x5 Mixed Straight Draft.

5 Protected players each year. Second year Draft Order will be as follows: 1st and 2nd Round in reverse order of previous year finish. 3rd Round in order of previous year finish. Remaining rounds randomly drawn in increments of 2 with 2nd round being in reverse order of the first round. No position requirements for off season trading. In season trades must meet roster requirements.

The general rules are posted on the league page and should be reviewed.

Scoring Categories-
Batting- Batting Average, Runs Scored, Stolen Bases, Home Runs, RBI's
Pitching Categories- ERA, WHIP, Saves, Strikeouts, Wins

Positions- C, 1B, 2B, 3B , SS, MI (2b or SS), Corner (1b of 3b), 5 OF
1 Utility (can be any position), 9 pitchers (5 starters, 2 relievers, 2 either SP or RP)
2 Bench spots, 3 Disabled spots.

I will put my phone number in the e-mail. Please call me if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Jeff

ibuysportsephemera
02-17-2012, 12:30 PM
We now have 12 teams. I am just waiting for Denny to pick which team he wants and we will be all set. Once the teams are final, I have to play around with the site to see how to set the draft order and protected players. More to follow.....

Jeff

ibuysportsephemera
02-17-2012, 09:19 PM
I just sent you all the following e-mail:

Attached are the rosters for all 12 teams. Also, my daughter and I did the random draft order for all of the rounds from 4 on. I have to go on to the site and see how it wants me to deal with the new teams, I will keep you posted. For the existing teams, if your rosters disappear don't panic (it might be the only way that I can do the customized draft order). Any detailed questions, please call me (845-742-xxxx). Sometimes it is just easier for me to explain something by phone rather than e-mail. Please have your protected players to me by March 24th. The Draft will be on line on April 2nd @ 8 PM EST.

This was a lot more work than I expected, so sorry for all of the e-mails. If last year is any indication, once the season starts it goes pretty smoothly and most of the teams are competitive which makes it a lot of fun. I will post this on Net54 as well (without my cell phone number).

Thanks,

Jeff