PDA

View Full Version : What is the Type 1 Type 2 photo designation

TT40391
02-28-2011, 04:30 PM
I am sure this has been discussed many times, but what do the Type 1 and Type 2 designation's mean on baseball photos. Any help is always appreciated

Tony Turner

HRBAKER
02-28-2011, 05:51 PM
Tony,
It depends on who you ask. There have been several threads on the subject on the Memorabilia side.

Jeff

Ladder7
03-02-2011, 09:26 AM
Type 1; A photo born, once little baby negative emerges from the uterus (roll).

A photo becomes a Type 2, the day after it's second birthday party. "The Terrible Twos".

It's sorta black magic to me. As I read it., Determination likely occurs due to stamped dates, paper age and/or quality of the negative that produced the image. Or perhaps;

http://kirktech.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/primary-screenshot.jpg

drc
03-02-2011, 10:52 AM
Type I is original-- made from the original negative at the time.

Type II means it was made from the original negative put at a later period.

It's always easy to remember that original = #1. I agree the other stuff can be hard to remember.

HRBAKER
03-02-2011, 11:44 AM
Some folks calls it black magic, some calls it hokum. :D;)
Me, I just buy photos I like and try not to worry about it.

D. Bergin
03-02-2011, 12:18 PM
.................and a vintage Wire transmission photo of a Type 1 photo is a Type 3 photo. (I believe Soundphoto, Laserphoto, Telephoto, all fall within these parameters to), but don't quote me on that.

Now, if you ever run across a Wire Transmission photo, of a photo of a photo, that was produced 3 years after the original negative,..........you might want to just kick yourself in the head, spin around three times and chant the alphabet backwards, before randomly selecting a number from a hat and plastering it onto a Beckett or PSA photo holder.

:D

TT40391
03-02-2011, 12:47 PM
Thanks everyone. There is a sporting news collection photo of my favorite prewar player to collect that is ending tonight on ebay. This will be my first photo purchase if I win it so I was just wondering about them. Thanks again

Tony Turner