PDA

View Full Version : What are the chances?

tlwise12
02-28-2011, 01:30 AM
Recently, I came across what is supposed to be an image of the 1934 Pittsburgh Crawfords clipped from a vintage publication. Unfortunately, I'm not very well versed on the vintage publications like the Reach and Spalding Guides (or any others)...This item came from an eBay seller who clips pages from the vintage guides and offers them as singles (I hate that!). However, I have wanted an image of Josh Gibson published during his playing days for some time so I figured I would chance it...If I was wrong I lost out on about $12.00 so not a big deal.

So, what are the chances this was clipped from a vintage publication during Gibson's playing days? If so, what might the publication have been???

Thanks
Travis

Jason19th
02-28-2011, 08:31 AM
Travis

i am wondering what is on the back- if there is another semi-pro or town team on the back I would guess that it is from a spadling or reach guide. Both would often have pictures of random teams in the back sections of the book. The reach guides would even have a short write up of the Negro league season and at times had some small pictures. The reach guides bacially treated the Negro Majors like the semi pro Wisconsin-Illinios league.
If its blank backed then I have no idea

Jason

tlwise12
03-09-2011, 12:23 AM
I got the piece in and was happy to find printing on the reverse so I believe it to be from either a Reach or Spalding Guide from the mid-1930s...To me, this is great news because I had been looking for an original image of Gibson from his playing days and couldn't come close to afford any...

Thanks
Travis