PDA

View Full Version : Awesome Black Bat... but whats the connection with the players? Help please

MGHPro
02-25-2011, 08:04 AM
I picked this up on ebay and was excited to get it for several reasons. 1 being Connie Mack appeared on the bat, which I only have seen one other time and it was on a bat presented to him, and secondly, cause Ruth is on there which I have never seen on a period black bat.

Most are hall of famers now, even though some weren't inducted yet when the bat was made. Most were Yankees or A's at some point in their career, but the mystery is Boudreau, York and George Case.

I was thinking maybe an all time team, all stars.. I just don't know. Does anyone see a link between all of the guys? I'm thinking the three guys listed above will be the key.
Thanks for the help/input
Matt

murphusa
02-25-2011, 11:40 AM
I had one like it in the 80's and sent a letter to H&B and they told me it was a practice bat. One a new employee would use to learn how to put the names on a bat at the factory

Yours could be the same

bobbvc
02-25-2011, 07:29 PM
That seems to make sense. Especially with the location of the "genuine" above Mickey Cochrane's name.

sayhey24
02-25-2011, 08:24 PM
Matt,

Practice bat sounds reasonable.

Perhaps it's a combo of Hall of Fame greats and All Stars from the year it was made. York, Case and Boudreau were all All Stars in 1943.

Greg

MGHPro
02-25-2011, 09:32 PM
Thanks for the opinions and help.
Matt

khkco4bls
02-26-2011, 09:02 AM
lets see some other black bats.