PDA

View Full Version : 1955 Nellie Fox Mighty Mites Pinback and Fan Club

slidekellyslide
02-24-2011, 11:28 AM
Posting this for a friend who would like opinions on where to sell these items...I'd also like to mention that as far as I know the origin of this pin was unknown until these items as a group came to light. Along with the pinback is the Mighty Mites membership card, and a fan club newsletter that contains real photos of Fox glued into the pages. Any help appreciated.

sayhey24
02-24-2011, 02:29 PM
This pinback just sold for $1,680 dollars in the December Legendary Bill Mastro collection auction. I had never seen the pin before, and I've definitely never seen the membership card or the other item -- it's really a great grouping.
I would certainly consider Legendary since they had so much success with the other pin.

Greg

Below is the description from the December auction -- you'll note they question why Mighty Mites is plural -- thanks to your membership card we now know why!

We’re a little uncertain as to why the caption on this souvenir pin is pluralized, but the long-time 2nd baseman for the Sox was affectionately known by admirers as the “Mighty Mite.” There are few clues as to the precise vintage of this piece, but we surmise that it first appeared shortly after his winning the 1959 M.V.P. It is by far the rarest pin ever distributed of Nellie Fox with very few copies seen. Measuring the standard 1-1/4”, the pin is characterized by a very light glaze of oxidation in the reverse and a celluloid-surfaced front that’s without a single blemish. White Sox and Mighty Mite Fox enthusiasts would welcome this one as NM.

Rob D.
02-24-2011, 02:57 PM
Since Dan's initial post, I looked through Dr. Muchinsky's book a couple times and couldn't find the pin. But I easily could have been looking in the wrong sections. However, if it's not in that book, that speaks volumes to the pin's scarcity.

springpin
02-24-2011, 05:17 PM
This pin is not in my book. The presence of the card is delightful, as it explains the origin of the pin as well as its date of issuance. A truly rare and wondeful pin. One can only guess as to how many of these pins were originally made, and how many have survived 55 years later.

Paul