PDA

View Full Version : My Fred Toney Collection/Thanks to the board

TT40391
02-23-2011, 02:37 PM
Hello, I thought I would share my Fred Toney collection with the board because you guys helped me build it. I also wanted to post the collection to show that I am indeed still collecting prewar cards. I thought about selling my E121 toney no trees and posted a message in BST. I got a very nasty email from a fellow board member telling me I sold cards to quickly after I got them and that I should get out of the hobby and just collect reprints. In light of that I have decided to keep my toney no trees. I have always been a collector that likes to share with my fellow collectors since I started a few years ago. Yes I have sold prewar cards to my fellow board members, mostly T210 series 6 cards because I know they are tough to find and other people want them to. I have never had a desire to collect whole sets so from time to time a sell a few. I have always though of the board as a safe place to pursue the hobby but every once in a while you have people attack you for no reason. I will not let that spoil this place though. So without further ranting here is my collection so far

TT40391
02-23-2011, 02:40 PM
This is my toney no trees and the other piece is a cabinet photo of the maysville rivermen of the bluegrass league. It is possible that it is one of a kind just like my toney card. I have board members to thank for these as well.

TT

Leon
02-23-2011, 02:51 PM
I am sorry to hear someone blasted you for wanting to sell a card. Quite honestly, I think that is your business and they should mind their own. I didn't see you break any forum rules. If anyone gets hassled too much, on the board, I would like to know about it.....This is supposed to be a fun hobby and you should be able to do as you please with your collection. Heck, I just sold one of my favorite cards as I needed to raise some money. It was mine so no one should really care. Happy collecting....

vintagecpa
02-23-2011, 02:51 PM
That is a real neat collection of items.

Ease
02-23-2011, 02:58 PM
Cool collection, thanx for sharing! I hope to do the same with a certain player someday.

fkw
02-23-2011, 02:59 PM
Didnt know Toney was in the T210 set, cool! :)

TT40391
02-23-2011, 03:15 PM
Thanks everyone. Hey Frank thanks again for the card. I didn't even know about the T210 set when I started collection a few years ago. And then I found out that series 6 were Kentucky cards and that they had cards from the winchester set which is my home town. I was very excited to learn that Fred Toney pitched for my home town team and that is what got me interested in collection him. A big league star pitcher that started in my hometown. The photo postcard was a gift from a fellow board member, while I watched ebay like a hawk for a few years to find a T210 Fred Toney. Fred Toney is one of three major league players that appear in Series 6. The others are Stengel and Viox.

TT

FrankWakefield
02-23-2011, 03:23 PM
You've gathered a nice assortment of items of that fine pitcher. Thanks for posting and showing us!!!

Bosox Blair
02-23-2011, 04:16 PM
Nice collection! And I also don't care what you do with your own cards - they are yours.

However...I have noticed a few instances lately that kind of annoy me. I'll call them "pump-and-dumps" to use a stock trading term.

Example: Day 1 - guy posts on the main Board "Hey guys show me your great rare Herpe-shiny cards...here's mine!" Attention is drawn to the cards through the thread. Day 2 - same guy posts on BST "Hey guys my Herpe-shiny is for sale to highest bidder!"

Second Example: Day 1 - guy posts on the main Board "Hey guys, I think I did well getting this card because it is worth a lot more than I paid." Friendly people post and tend to agree card has a higher value. Day 2 - same guy posts same card on BST for higher price.

Maybe these don't break any forum rules (that is for Leon to say), but I generally find these things to be transparent ploys.

Cheers,
Blair

TT40391
02-23-2011, 04:31 PM
I agree with you sir that if someone was simply trying to sell there cards at a higher price that would be bad. I considered selling the toney no trees today because my subing work has dried up a bit lately but it looks like it is picking back up so that will not be needed. While I had my card up momentarily I offered the card for less than I paid for it. I have never sold a card on the board to other members for more than I paid for it at any time.

TT

Kawika
02-23-2011, 04:37 PM
Whoever wrote with the suggestion to get out of the hobby was out of line. I wonder which douchebag it was this time. I have done a couple of deals with Tony and corresponded a bit. His bona fides are as good and real as anybody else's here. Keep your head up, man.

Am I correct in surmising that Casey Stengel is sitting third from left in the Maysville cabinet?

Leon
02-23-2011, 04:43 PM
Nice collection! And I also don't care what you do with your own cards - they are yours.

However...I have noticed a few instances lately that kind of annoy me. I'll call them "pump-and-dumps" to use a stock trading term.

Example: Day 1 - guy posts on the main Board "Hey guys show me your great rare Herpe-shiny cards...here's mine!" Attention is drawn to the cards through the thread. Day 2 - same guy posts on BST "Hey guys my Herpe-shiny is for sale to highest bidder!"

Second Example: Day 1 - guy posts on the main Board "Hey guys, I think I did well getting this card because it is worth a lot more than I paid." Friendly people post and tend to agree card has a higher value. Day 2 - same guy posts same card on BST for higher price.

Maybe these don't break any forum rules (that is for Leon to say), but I generally find these things to be transparent ploys.

Cheers,
Blair

Blair, while I agree with you, you sort of need to understand too that folks might want to find out about their items they have for sale. I am not saying anything about this particular situation (in this post), but in general. I get lots of folks asking me how to proceed with certain issues. Please be aware that I do instruct people on how to do things in order to try to conform to board protocol, while still obtaining information they are seeking. Generally, as long as they aren't selling on this main forum, then I am ok with it. It really is a judgement call and I just try to revert to common sense on stuff. Sometimes there are gray areas and I am generally going to allow folks some leeway in doing stuff, especially if:

1. they are nice enough to ask first
2. they are board regulars
3. it's obvious they are trying to do the right thing.

So, please be careful not to come down on folks too much (not saying you did) when they do something on the board. I might have told them to do it. Folks can always PM me to ask about things they see, if they have questions. This is a general statement so folks can know that sometimes things might not be exactly the way they look like. Now, that being said, there are folks that abuse the board and I try to handle those issues quickly. And lastly, please understand I am very aware of the ploys you outlined. Overall I think most members are very respectful and it's appreciated. regards

TT40391
02-23-2011, 05:03 PM
Hey David thanks for the post. I have not been able to confirm if Stengel is in this photo or not. I appreciate any feedback as to opinion's if he is in it or not. It would be great if I could confirm it or not though. Because that would make the photo a much more significant cabinet photo.

Thanks

Tony Turner

Bosox Blair
02-23-2011, 05:12 PM
Blair, while I agree with you, you sort of need to understand too that folks might want to find out about their items they have for sale. I am not saying anything about this particular situation (in this post), but in general. I get lots of folks asking me how to proceed with certain issues. Please be aware that I do instruct people on how to do things in order to try to conform to board protocol, while still obtaining information they are seeking. Generally, as long as they aren't selling on this main forum, then I am ok with it. It really is a judgement call and I just try to revert to common sense on stuff. Sometimes there are gray areas and I am generally going to allow folks some leeway in doing stuff, especially if:

1. they are nice enough to ask first
2. they are board regulars
3. it's obvious they are trying to do the right thing.

So, please be careful not to come down on folks too much (not saying you did) when they do something on the board. I might have told them to do it. Folks can always PM me to ask about things they see, if they have questions. This is a general statement so folks can know that sometimes things might not be exactly the way they look like. Now, that being said, there are folks that abuse the board and I try to handle those issues quickly. And lastly, please understand I am very aware of the ploys you outlined. Overall I think most members are very respectful and it's appreciated. regards

Thanks for the input, Leon!

Cheers,
Blair

Bosox Blair
02-23-2011, 05:21 PM
I agree with you sir that if someone was simply trying to sell there cards at a higher price that would be bad. I considered selling the toney no trees today because my subing work has dried up a bit lately but it looks like it is picking back up so that will not be needed. While I had my card up momentarily I offered the card for less than I paid for it. I have never sold a card on the board to other members for more than I paid for it at any time.

TT

Hi Tony,

Just to clarify my point (FWIW), I have no problem at all with people making money from selling cards. I am very much a capitalist. If I sold you a card on BST for $200 and you listed it the next day on BST for $400 I would not bat an eyelash or feel there was anything wrong with that.

The personal pet peeve I was referring to was using a post on the main Board to "set up" a BST post later. But as Leon pointed out, this could be perfectly legitimate in some cases - especially to obtain information, even if related to a future sale.

(BTW, I am happy to hear your work is picking up and I wish you the best - this economy has taken its toll on too many people!)

Cheers,
Blair

glchen
02-23-2011, 05:25 PM
Yea, I think I was annoyed by that one thread that went something like, hey is that Joe Jax on this T202? Days later, guess what, I'm selling some duplicates of this card on ebay!

Kawika
02-23-2011, 06:07 PM
I'm almost POSITIVE this card features Shoeless Joe...

http://photos.imageevent.com/kawika_o_ka_pakipika/sportscardsetc/baseball/holygrailcards/websize/T202%20Lord%20Tannehill.jpg

bh3443
02-25-2011, 05:57 PM
What a great collection! I really love the cabinet photo. The background is so cool with all the gentlemen in suits. Definitely a different generation.
I'm sorry to hear someone hassled you for trying to sell something. I find it out of character based on the fine group of hobbyists we have here.
Thanks again for sharing your collection. Thanks to all that posted.
You are the best,
Bill Hedin

TT40391
02-26-2011, 06:20 PM
Thanks for the kind words and support Bill.

TT