PDA

View Full Version : Ruth auto experts-can you do it without the "B"?

mighty bombjack
02-18-2011, 10:06 PM
Interesting ebay auction

http://cgi.ebay.com/2003-Topps-Tribute-1st-Class-Cut-Babe-Ruth-Autograph-/280630849542?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item4156e6f006

Ladder7
02-19-2011, 04:35 AM
Poor bastid. Hope someone can help him out.

Exhibitman
02-19-2011, 06:13 AM
No, that's the signature of Abe Ruth, the Babe's tailor.

thetruthisoutthere
02-19-2011, 06:17 AM
I have absolutely no sympathy for the buyer of that card. Did he look at the card before he decided to bid on it? Why would anyone want a cut autograph of Babe Ruth without the "B?" We've all seen numerous cut autos that resemble that card. In addition, if Topps really did produce that card and someone brought it to their attention, they (Topps) should have done all they could to get that card off the market. I don't accept anything at face value any more.

RichardSimon
02-19-2011, 07:45 AM
Just another lowly example of what goes on in this business/hobby.
If you are going to forge Ruth's signature why do it without the B and WHY BUY IT without the B.
What a mess.

thetruthisoutthere
02-19-2011, 08:27 AM
Just another lowly example of what goes on in this business.
If you are going to forge Ruth's signature why do it without the B and WHY BUY IT without the B.
What a mess.

I agree with Richard 100%!!!

mighty bombjack
02-19-2011, 09:37 AM
Is this forged? I'm not a Ruth expert, but apparently the authenticator didn't say "not genuine," but said "not authenticateble." Is that because the B is obscured? Likewise, I personally know that Topps keeps shoddy records, and I'd bet that they basically told this guy that they couldn't verify that it was the original cut placed in the card (not that it was definitely replaced, but that they just don't know).

So, I ask any Ruth auto experts here, how does this auto look to you?