PDA

View Full Version : Koester's Bread Card Stock

paul
02-13-2011, 11:54 AM
For a long time I've owned exactly one Koester's Bread card. The stock is thicker than an E121. I recently picked up a second one (Burkett!!) and the stock is even thicker and much stiffer. Has anyone else noticed two different card stocks for these cards?

fkw
02-13-2011, 03:14 PM
I havent owned one in many years, but the only one I had was a George Kelly and it was very thick stock too.

Ive been telling collectors that I believe some if not all of the Koester's cards were printed on thick stock ever since I had that one, but I havent recalled seen others note the thickness of the stock until your post now.

rhettyeakley
02-13-2011, 03:23 PM
It has been my experience that the thinner (regular) card stock generally have factory cut edges while the thick Koesters card stock almost always have hand cut edges, which means the thick ones were probably distributed as sheets.
-Rhett

FrankWakefield
02-13-2011, 03:39 PM
Or cut from a poster...

DanP
02-13-2011, 04:06 PM
For a long time I've owned exactly one Koester's Bread card. The stock is thicker than an E121. I recently picked up a second one (Burkett!!) and the stock is even thicker and much stiffer. Has anyone else noticed two different card stocks for these cards?

Paul, did you bust Jesse free? I have a Ross Youngs Koester that I bought at the same time as the Burkett. I sent them to PSA after purchasing them on ebay. I never held a raw E121 so I couldn't tell if there was a difference. BTW, SGC would not holder either card as Koester Bread even though I provided documentation from the sale, seller info, etc. PSA accepted it. Dan

paul
02-13-2011, 06:15 PM
Dan, I did bust Jesse free. And, Rhett, it is handcut which is consistent with your theory.

fkw
02-13-2011, 10:24 PM
The thick stock Kelly I had was handcut with a unique wavy chopped top border.

PS I dug out 2 pics I had,
I believe Rhett you are right, the ad (left) shows and tells about single (machine cut) cards issued with bread, then you have the sheets too (right).

http://centuryoldcards.com/images/1921koesterssheetinfo.jpg