PDA

View Full Version : .

shimozukawa
02-07-2011, 10:53 PM

chaddurbin
02-07-2011, 10:58 PM
why are you looking at bin items? you can't retract bids there...

shimozukawa
02-08-2011, 01:00 AM

Jim VB
02-08-2011, 03:56 AM

:D

Jim VB
02-08-2011, 05:20 AM
Talk about the ultimate flip if it gets bought at the BIN. ;)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?VISuperSize&item=120675460828
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?VISuperSize&item=190498911034

I don't understand your point. The current seller is reputable, trusted, and honest (and a board member here.)

Yes, he buys cards he thinks are undervalued and tries to resell them at a profit. Many people do exactly that.

And the "ultimate flip"?????? I think most people would wish for more than a couple of hundred bucks to have it fall in that category.

D. Bergin
02-08-2011, 06:55 AM

:D

Pup6913
02-08-2011, 07:03 AM
Oh come on now guys. You know we all like him because he is like one of those golly gee gosh friends thats goes every where with you. Cant help but like him. You know the guy right??? The one you take swimming and say "Hey shim***kawa you jump off first." He says "No. Why don't you do it?" Your reply "Because I don't know how deep it is and your a better swimmer:D:D" Then he says "Oh ok. But your jumping in after I do right?" "Yeah of course:D"

Just joking around.

Leon
02-08-2011, 07:03 AM
Let me make it publicly known that I can't stand many of ebay's policies, especially that which will allow folks to do things and stay hidden.

IN that respect if you do something you shouldn't have done on ebay, and someone throws your ebay id out here on the board, I am not going to protect you or ask that whoever put the ebay id up, take it down. That goes for everyone. This isn't ebay..Don't do crap you shouldn't do and you don't ave to worry about it. If you don't like this rule there are plenty of forums besides ours that you can go to ........best regards

D. Bergin
02-08-2011, 08:28 AM
Oh come on now guys. You know we all like him because he is like one of those golly gee gosh friends thats goes every where with you. Cant help but like him. You know the guy right??? The one you take swimming and say "Hey shim***kawa you jump off first." He says "No. Why don't you do it?" Your reply "Because I don't know how deep it is and your a better swimmer:D:D" Then he says "Oh ok. But your jumping in after I do right?" "Yeah of course:D"

Just joking around.

Nah. More like the guy who pushes you in, and then sues YOU, because you got his brand new suit wet.

;)

autograf
02-08-2011, 08:37 AM
Should the original poster have to post his/her name since it's kind of controversial? I mean, the seller is a board member. I don't see anything wrong with the deal. It's an aggressive BIN but has a 'make offer'. ALL of us have bought something in the past we've thought was underpriced to sell at a higher price. It's how MANY of us build our collections or for some to maintain some profitability in their business.

Leon
02-08-2011, 09:17 AM
Should the original poster have to post his/her name since it's kind of controversial? I mean, the seller is a board member. I don't see anything wrong with the deal. It's an aggressive BIN but has a 'make offer'. ALL of us have bought something in the past we've thought was underpriced to sell at a higher price. It's how MANY of us build our collections or for some to maintain some profitability in their business.

Hey Tom
It's going to be very difficult to contemplate every post on the board with respect to our anonymity vs privacy policy. It is a policy but unless it's very obviously controversial I don't want to step in. The poster has already asked me to handle the outing of his ebay id, which I won't do.

If I am selling something and you say that you think it's too much, I am not sure that constitutes me (a moderator) jumping in? It's certainly debatable but I do have a day job.. :)....and lately the board has been taking up more time than I like, in the disciplinary department.....I guess it's just case by case....put yourself in my shoes, would you want to have to "eagle eye" the board 7x24? Don't get me wrong, when it's obvious, the rules will be enforced....I haven't been making too many friends on the board lately but that is the way it goes.

edited to also say, I think the seller is a great guy and extremely reputable.....

Anthony S.
02-08-2011, 09:52 AM
Let he who has not flipped cast the first Stengel.

lharri3600
02-08-2011, 09:59 AM
Amen!!
let he who has not flipped cast the first stengel.

Fuddjcal
02-08-2011, 10:01 AM
a perfect example of buying what you want only at auction from e-bay, or nothing at all. While I do not begrudge the individual doing what MANY dealers do everyday with any legitimate nice item that comes along at auction, which are few and far between these days...That is, buy the items at auction and immediately list it for double with a BUY IT NOW. It is another reason in a growing list of many that I will not trade with e-bay and especially NEVER EVER give in to these types of pricing scams on any item anywhere any place. They are looking for that one jack ass in a sea of morons....and on e-bay, they usually find them. More power to them, but Homie doesn't play dat.

It is just PATHETIC what E-bay has become and it is reason #420 that I despise the recent trend of E bay and all their Buy it nows. I also despise losers like Kimoshikakamakzi that retracts multiple bids everyday with-out e-bay stepping in. (reason # 228) A board contributor maybe, a complete idiot, probably.

lharri3600
02-08-2011, 10:06 AM
I have a question for the fellow with the many retractions on ebay, why may i ask do you do it? This i believe is where the rubber meets the road!

Fuddjcal
02-08-2011, 10:20 AM
because he's eddie impatient and can't wait for the auction to end to smoke out the high bidder. Someone like this is the ultimate idiot in their everyday life, have no morals and nothing better to do than to place bid, they have no intention following through on. They do it for a variety or reasons, but mostly it is just a mental imbalance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6e1hZGDaqIw&feature=related

rhettyeakley
02-08-2011, 10:23 AM
I just want to jump in here and talk about the actual card in question here. Of all the Koester's Bread cards that Stengel and the Jesse Burkett are far and away the most desirable and they both extremely tough to find. I have seen 3-4 total for sale in the last 5-10 years, and that was only the second one not part of a large group or part of a sheet. The asking price the buyer/seller is looking to get is perhaps a bit high but nt outside the realm of reality here as it does display nicely and is perhaps the nicest one I've seen for sale individually. The only other one I had seen I purchased and was ECSTATIC to get it as I had been looking for the card for many years. If I didn't already own one I would have bid much higher than the card originally sold for.

Here's mine
http://www.starsofthediamond.com/koestersstengel.JPG

I'd suggest people actually know what they are talking about before making stupid accusations here, and this coming from the OP is funny, you can't make this stuff up!

teetwoohsix
02-08-2011, 11:23 AM
Exit, stage right.........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUc3wd4It8g

:eek:

DixieBaseball
02-08-2011, 12:39 PM
Let he who has not flipped cast the first Stengel.

Good Stuff Anthony... I can't ignore the creativity of your simple, but accurate post. Nice going... :D

shimozukawa
02-08-2011, 02:47 PM

Jim VB
02-08-2011, 03:57 PM
100% return over one week is the ultimate flip, IMO. I was actually commending the pick-up. I think it's awesome that someone is able to get 100% return on anything.

I'll tell you why your original comment was a little annoying. The current seller is a great guy. I have bought many things from him over the years, so I may be biased.

Obviously, he saw a card on ebay that he thought was worth more than he could buy it for. The last recorded sale of this card, in any condition, was in 2006, for $370. Chris must have thought he could get $800 - $900 for it now and was able to pick it up for $450, so he did.

But your original post was to make fun of his business model, a model that has worked very successfully for him, for years. Does he have a chance to make $300 - $400 in a short amount of time? Yes? Is there a chance that it will sit in inventory for a while, and drain that profit? Absolutely.

But this is what he does for a business, so why bother to point it out? Especially for a piddling couple of hundred dollars?

This is a fairly small community (Baseball card collecting.) Net54 is an even smaller subset of that community. When you make posts like this, it makes you look small and certainly naive to all. If Chris thinks he can make a couple of bucks on a card, so what? He has a home and a family to feed too. Let some things go.

GehrigFan
02-08-2011, 04:22 PM
I have no comments on that particular flip, but thought I'd share another one, as I found it pretty funny. It's not even a full ticket or ticket stub... just the photo portion cut off of it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/LOU-GEHRIG-JULY-4-1941-MEMORIAL-TICKET-STUB-OUCH-/190495697409?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item2c5a6daa01

http://cgi.ebay.com/1941-Lou-Gehrig-Memorial-Day-Ticket-Stub-1300-Original-/300523916445?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item45f89f0c9d

kcohen
02-08-2011, 04:42 PM
I'd like to amplify on Jim VB's post. I sell cards at shows as a hobby sideline. It irks me when collectors focus ONLY on what a dealer paid for a given card. However, they often do not take into account other factors such as time spent bird dogging such acquisitions, the expense and time spent maintaining their website, and the years of acquiring the knowledge to where one is capable of making good buys.

The original poster marvels at what a great flip it is for the seller to double his money. Well, he hasn't doubled anything yet. What he has for the moment is potentially dead money for an indeterminate period of time. So there is an element of risk that also merits compensation.

End of rant. I just find it irksome when someone nips at the heels of someone else's living.

Last, FWIW, I also am a bit acquainted with the couple that operates the website in question and they are fine people as far as I'm concerned.

DixieBaseball
02-08-2011, 05:21 PM
In my humble opinion, a Buyer or a Seller is free to Ask or Sell at any price they want, and should not be scrutinized at all. Simply put, a Buyer does not have to buy, and a Seller does not have to sell, and all that really matters in buying, selling, and trading is both parties being courteous to one another. I have politely walked away from many deals without casting a stone when I knew the seller was possibly way overpriced. I have also been on the other side of that coin as well. I think what gets missed is some folks do this for a hobby, some for a living, and some do it to support their hobby, so there is nothing wrong with someone making a profit. I don't mind giving the profit either, as I have a price in mind and stick to that range. Bottom line, if both parties are happy, then the deal is a good one. If they are not, then politely disagree and roll on... It is silly for folks to get into the judgement department on values, etc. It is really simply : Either Buy it or Not, or Sell it or not. The one thing I loathe is overactive opinions and a bunch of complaining. To each his own...

Pup6913
02-08-2011, 05:30 PM
FWIW, I also am a bit acquainted with the couple that operates the website in question and they are fine people as far as I'm concerned.

Of all the people they are probably one of the finest. I will say I agree 100% with Jim and Ken both that Chris and Christina are one of the best in the hobby. They both know their cards well and I have had a few great transactions. They went well and above to help my father try to finish his 69 Topps set. People like this will always succeed in this hobby.