PDA

View Full Version : T3 Reproductions

skooter
02-07-2011, 12:33 PM
Do any members have any of the T3s being offered on ebay by Mike Wheat Cards? If so, what is your opinion of them? Lastly, what is the difference between these cards and the current Topps "retro" issues that so many members find disturbing? Thanks for your opinions.

gnaz01
02-07-2011, 01:00 PM
I have the Cobb, Matty, and Walter Johnson and I can tell you they are done TOP SHELF!!! Very Nice!! Don't know about the Topps issues, except for the fact that the Mike Wheat cards are actual size repros of the original with the exception of a small starburst on the lower corners on the back. Same thickness and size. Awesome!!

Bicem
02-07-2011, 06:42 PM
http://photos.imageevent.com/ltsgallery/memberfoldersd/bicem/misc/t3.jpg

quinnsryche
02-08-2011, 08:53 AM
Not judging either way, but it's funny how one post about reprints (this one) will garner all types of accolades for how accurate and beautiful the repro job is and yet on another thread (the Topps one), people will crucify a company for reprinting cards. Again, please, not bashing or condoning, just making an observation. I would appreciate any feedback positive or negative of your opinion.

skooter
02-08-2011, 12:56 PM
That is exactly my point Tony.

Leon
02-08-2011, 01:04 PM
Not judging either way, but it's funny how one post about reprints (this one) will garner all types of accolades for how accurate and beautiful the repro job is and yet on another thread (the Topps one), people will crucify a company for reprinting cards. Again, please, not bashing or condoning, just making an observation. I would appreciate any feedback positive or negative of your opinion.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Unless it devalues (which has been suggested, though I think is debatable) the originals, it still strikes me as odd why folks don't want others to have harmless fun. If you don't like something just don't look or partake. It's not that difficult. I think these T3's look very nice.....None of the reprints, or fantasy new (old) pieces are my cup of tea. If others enjoy them then more power to ya'. No skin off my teeth. BTW, I do have a few reprint sets that have been given to me....still not my cup of tea though. best regards

quinnsryche
02-08-2011, 01:15 PM
Leon, I agree with you, if you like reprints, great, if not, great. I just want to clarify my point that just take a look at some of the venom being spewed at Topps for reprinting some cards and yet others talk glowingly about these. I have a problem with neither, although on other threads some have expressed concern with doctoring reprints to pass off as real. These would seem to qualify for that more than an off sized or glossy version of the original. Again, I'm not trying to start a witch hunt against repros (that's been overdone), I am just wondering where the line is drawn with some collectors on this issue.

Jay Wolt
02-08-2011, 01:16 PM
As Greg pointed out they are the same size & thickness as a real T3, and via a scan & to the untrained collector can be easily fooled.
I wish they would have dated them 2007 (or whenever they were made) or but a bold "REPRINT" on the back.
Only the starburst in the bottom 2 corners as Greg stated differentiate them from the originals.
Also the real ones have a different finish, like an oil painting gloss.

Here's is the Mike Wheat one on top and a real T3 on the bottom without the "starbursts"

http://www.qualitycards.com/ebay/t3duo.jpg

SteveMitchell
02-08-2011, 02:19 PM
Good points have been raised by all with regard to this posting.

Personally, I like Mike Wheat's T3 reproductions very much. I was fortunate to pick up a near-set (lacking one card but with an extra card of one player) on eBay more than two years ago for something around $300. It is the nearest I will ever get to owning the real thing. Even if I should fall into a set - or two - for the proverbial song, I probably "could not" hang onto it knowing the dollar value just 100 cards represent. (Now, if a T205 or T206 set should come my way, that would be different.):D

But... as has been pointed out, these are so good they will fool many possessing limited experience with the originals. A reprint date - possibly with MWC (Mike Wheat Cards) added - would make it at least a bit difficult for the dishonest to ply their trade.

One final point: the Mike Wheat Deadball Exhibits are another terrific product but with the one flaw of being possibly confused with early Exhibits.