PDA

View Full Version : Which DiMaggio and Ted Williams Bio Books do you recommend?

thekingofclout
02-06-2011, 12:29 PM
Thanks in advance Guys.

Best, Jimmy

Scott Garner
02-06-2011, 12:49 PM
Thanks in advance Guys.

Best, Jimmy

Hey Jimmy,

I read a FANTASTIC book on Teddy Ballgame called "Ted Williams-the Ted we Hardly Knew" by John Underwood 2005.

If you're not familiar with John Underwood, he was a writer for Sports Illustrated for many years and he also co-wrote "The Art of Hitting" with Ted Williams. They became close friends through the association at SI and Underwood became a fishing and hunting buddy of Williams. The book gives you a tremendous look at who Williams really was. The best part of the book is that it comes with a CD with audio interviews with Ted in the duck blind. To say that Williams took swearing to new frontiers as an artform is an understatement. Really a good read, and definately a must in order to get a feel for who Williams actually was IMHO. This was my favorite Christmas gift a few years back. It definately was better than some ungodly plaid shirt that I will never wear...

Nab it! ;)

thekingofclout
02-06-2011, 01:57 PM
Just bought it Scott. Thanks Brutha.

Cy2009
02-06-2011, 02:16 PM
Jimmy,

Summer of '49 is very good.

Cy

thekingofclout
02-06-2011, 03:30 PM
Bought it. Thanks for the heads up Cy!

Still looking for a good bio on Joltin Joe...

Griffins
02-06-2011, 03:42 PM
The Teammates, but David Halberstamm is pretty good- it's about Dom, Ted, Pesky and Doerr. It's not as good as his Summer of '49 (or his non baseball book The Fifties, which was incredible) but gives a lot of insight in the four old friends in their twilight years.

Summer of '49 is a really great book.

baseball tourist
02-06-2011, 04:56 PM
Bought it. Thanks for the heads up Cy!

Still looking for a good bio on Joltin Joe...

Joe DiMaggio: The Hero's Life - by Ben Cramer is a great read, and it shows Joe's selfish side without trying to shine it up.

Rob D.
02-06-2011, 05:59 PM
Joe DiMaggio: The Hero's Life - by Ben Cramer is a great read, and it shows Joe's selfish side without trying to shine it up.

+1

thekingofclout
02-06-2011, 09:02 PM
The Teammates, but David Halberstamm is pretty good- it's about Dom, Ted, Pesky and Doerr. It's not as good as his Summer of '49 (or his non baseball book The Fifties, which was incredible) but gives a lot of insight in the four old friends in their twilight years.

Summer of '49 is a really great book.
Thanks Griff. I bought "The Fifties"

Thanks Chris. Just nabbed one on ebay.

Thanks to all yous guys! I bought FIVE books today for like $20-25 bucks and never left the house. And best of all, I got great selections from guys who are just as passionate about the game as me. Darn, I could have gone to B&N and asked the girl at the info desk what she would recommend I buy. :rolleyes:

karamaxjoe
02-07-2011, 08:08 PM
I highly recommend Ted Williams : the biography of an American hero. I downloaded the book on my Ipod and listened to the biography during my commute each day. The gentlemen who narrates the book, Scott Brick, did and excellent job.

MVSNYC
02-08-2011, 11:13 PM
my dad gave me "Joe DiMaggio: The Hero's Life - by Ben Cramer", he said it was great, i plan to read it soon.

Big Ben
02-10-2011, 03:32 PM

+1 Excellent read!