PDA

View Full Version : Question for the T206 HOF tough back collectors

kllrbee
02-06-2011, 10:34 AM
Hey guys,
Now that I have started getting into some tougher backs, my plans for set building has changed.
I still want to complete the set, but my goal is to have at least one of every back (some exceptions, I know I need to be realistic) in my HOF cards.
I dont need EVERY Hof to be a tough back. Just enough so I could cover one of every back.
For instance, I have Johnson/Old Mill, Lajoie/Hindu, Duffy/Red Hindu, Baker/AB 350, Young/PB to name a few. There are a few more but Im just giving an example. So those backs are out of the way.
So...how do I go about doing this?

Do I just narrow down the backs I need vs Hof's I need, then start trying to track them down?
It seems like that would be obvious, but Im just trying to get an idea of what you guys do.
Thanks for the help

Mikehealer
02-06-2011, 11:07 AM
It might be helpful to know what front/back combination's are possible and then try to grab those cards that fit your set the best. Here is a link to Trae's website where you can download Scot Readers ebook and Bill Brown's superset,
both are excellent resources that will give you a big jump on the possible front/back combinations.
http://www.t206.org/resources.php

You will find that with several of the cards you will be limited in your quest for a tougher back.
Hope this helps a little
Mike

kllrbee
02-06-2011, 11:34 AM
Yes Mike, that does help.
I have checked out those links as well as the checklist in "Inside T206".

I guess thats where my question stems from. I realize there are limited possibilities, so I was wondering if any of you tough back guys have attempted what Im trying and how you went about doing it.

Im just curious if its a somewhat common goal and if its even attainable.

Thanks Mike, Ive heard good things about you, so hopefully we can do some business in the near future. LOL.

Any other help is appreciated.

B O'Brien
02-06-2011, 01:17 PM
Tim,
Speaking from my trials, it has always boiled down to patience, cash flow and OCD moments.

I thought I could do a backs line and mix in some commons and HOFers, wrong. When I looked at a Maddux EPDG sitting next to Hindu Matty, it just didn't work for me, so I sold out all of my tougher backed commons and bought two nice HOfers. Once again, that is just me!

I have also found myself 150 or so commons, HOFer with common backs, and SLers into the set, and a nice HOFer with a odd front back combo pops up and I find myself dumping all of my commons and getting away from the set and back to the HOF backs. Then another one pops up and I sell or trade all of my common backed HOFers. I do look forward to seeing you at that stage and deciding which direction to move.

Maybe if you can set your mind up right from the start, you will have better luck than I have had a few times. One of the things that always gets me, is how I organize my cards. When I do the set, I still keep my HOF backs set in another box, instead of looking at them as a whole. I know it is all in my mind, but I can not over come it. I did get back into the T206 by buying a Lenox Johnson, so maybe it is all in how you start.

Cash flow has always been an issue for me, since I just kind of recycle the money from my childhood collection (plus a little!!) to buy new stuff. I end up with my box full and no new money, so start moving it around. All in all, that is why I stick with the T206's, you can move you stuff in so many different direction without ever moving out of the set.

Maybe that helps!
Enjoy the ride,
Bob

kllrbee
02-06-2011, 01:55 PM
There he is! I was waiting for you to chime in Bob. LOL.

Very good advice.

Yeah, I think it comes down to plan of attack. I already keep my Hof's separate from the commons and tough back Hof's separate from common back HOf's.

Ill see how it goes. I think Ive got a very good start on the backs though, so Im happy already. I also thought that Id just like every back on any card, common or Hof, but youre right, it looks weird to have a Moran Tolstoi sitting next to a Johnson Old Mill.

And I second the money issue. I do alright, but Im not rich by any means, and this is one expensive hobby. LOL.

Thanks again fella's. I appreciate the advice and look forward to getting more as time goes on.

David R
02-06-2011, 10:23 PM
I've been at it for about three years now. I currently have one t206 card of every HOFer except Plank and Wagner. Among those, I currently cover 27 different backs (the tough ones that I still need are red Hindu, Drum, Uzit and Broadleaf 460). For me, it's just been opportunistic. When the opportunity presents itself to get another tough back, I take it if I have the cash and the price is reasonable. I end up having to reshuffle the backs line constantly as I get new ones. For example, if a really tough back becomes available and I have that card with a more common back, I will often buy the tough back and sell the same card with the more common back.

It's fun. And as Bobby said, it takes a lot of patience. Good luck.

E93
02-06-2011, 11:22 PM
I am working on a Willis/batting back run. I have knocked off the toughest three: Brown Lenox, Drum, and Uzit, as well as a few others.