PDA

View Full Version : Really Neat 2011 Topps Subset

Orioles1954
02-05-2011, 01:26 PM
I know modern "shiny" cards catch a lot of flack from time to time. However, I'm really pleased with a new subset in the new 2011 Topps product. They did a great job with reproducing these cards. Looks like there might be a few more pre-war collectors coming in?

CMGR-1 Babe Ruth - 1914 - Baltimore News
CMGR-2 Babe Ruth - 1932 - U.S. Caramel
CMGR-3 Babe Ruth - 1933 - Goudey
CMGR-4 Babe Ruth - 1916 - Sporting News
CMGR-5 Babe Ruth - 1934 - Sport Kings
CMGR-6 Christy Mathewson - 1911 - T205
CMGR-7 Christy Mathewson - 1914 - Cracker Jack
CMGR-8 Cy Young - 1911 - T205
CMGR-9 George Sisler - 1921 - National Caramel
CMGR-10 Honus Wagner - 1909 - T206
CMGR-11 Honus Wagner - 1910 - Tip Top Bread
CMGR-12 Honus Wagner - 1910 - Standard Caramel
CMGR-13 Honus Wagner - 1903 - Breisch-Williams
CMGR-14 Jackie Robinson - 1941 - Bowman
CMGR-15 Jimmie Foxx - 1934 - Goudey
CMGR-16 Jimmie Foxx - 1933 - DeLong
CMGR-17 Jimmie Foxx - 1934 - Diamond Stars
CMGR-18 Johnny Mize Enos Slaughter - 1941 - Double Play
CMGR-19 Lou Gehrig - 1933 - Goudey
CMGR-20 Lou Gehrig - 1932 - U.S. Caramel
CMGR-21 Lou Gehrig - 1933 - DeLong
CMGR-22 Mel Ott - 1933 - Goudey
CMGR-23 Rogers Hornsby - 1932 - U.S. Caramel
CMGR-24 Tris Speaker - 1914 - Cracker Jack
CMGR-25 Ty Cobb - 1914 - Cracker Jack
CMGR-26 Ty Cobb - 1932 - U.S. Caramel
CMGR-27 Ty Cobb - 1911 - General Baking Co.
CMGR-28 Ty Cobb - 1916 - Sporting News
CMGR-29 Ty Cobb - 1911 - T205
CMGR-30 Walter Johnson - 1909 - T204

sb1
02-05-2011, 02:49 PM
Not a fan. Just something else for someone to attempt to make artificially aged cards and such. In some ways it takes away from the value of the real thing in my opinion.

Does Topps have or need the "rights" to use these images??

novakjr
02-05-2011, 02:58 PM
I'm sorry, but Topps is honestly starting to make me sick. Literally.

rhettyeakley
02-05-2011, 03:18 PM
The problem I have with these newer reprint cards is that sellers on ebay always put them in the pre-war category and they screw up all the searches because now I have to search through all this junk.

Example, try searching for Obak's and all you get is the Tri-star crap from the last year or so. Annoying!

Leon
02-05-2011, 03:20 PM
If it gets the youngsters into collecting, and being interested in vintage, then I don't have an issue with it. To each their own though.....

I would think that if someone bought one of those cards and really liked it they might try to acquire the real thing...

novakjr
02-05-2011, 03:28 PM
If it gets the youngsters into collecting, and being interested in vintage, then I don't have an issue with it. To each their own though.....

I would think that if someone bought one of those cards and really liked it they might try to acquire the real thing...

I'm pretty sure we all that's not Topps' intention though..Topps has been milking the Archives/heritage/reprint thing for what, 17 years now?

carrigansghost
02-05-2011, 03:35 PM
Wasn't it Topps that did the "vintage" cards in the 1976 set with the all time leaders?

Rawn

shimozukawa
02-05-2011, 03:57 PM

novakjr
02-05-2011, 04:07 PM
The problem I have with these newer reprint cards is that sellers on ebay always put them in the pre-war category and they screw up all the searches because now I have to search through all this junk.

Example, try searching for Obak's and all you get is the Tri-star crap from the last year or so. Annoying!

I've encountered this problem a million times. It makes me wanna strangle someone...I didn't find out until recently that you can exclude certain keywords from your searches. Since then, the problem hasn't really been all that bad. Sure, there's still some crap to sort through, but it's been drastically decreased.

slidekellyslide
02-05-2011, 04:50 PM
Not a fan. Just something else for someone to attempt to make artificially aged cards and such. In some ways it takes away from the value of the real thing in my opinion.

Aren't all these cards glossy? Wouldn't it be near impossible to artificially age them?

Orioles1954
02-05-2011, 05:29 PM
I suppose the unitiated to the product line will automatically reject the concept. The subset reprints are standard size with no gloss. On the reverse, there is a brief history of the set and manufacturer. Geeesh, if Topps issued hundred dollar bills in every pack of their product I suppose there would be some complainers. I have pulled a couple of these cards and it is very tastefully done. The history of the set on the reverse is a very nice touch. Well done Topps!

Ease
02-05-2011, 05:44 PM
Geeesh, if Topps issued hundred dollar bills in every pack of their product I suppose there would be some complainers.
+1

slidekellyslide
02-05-2011, 06:15 PM
I suppose the unitiated to the product line will automatically reject the concept. The subset reprints are standard size with no gloss. On the reverse, there is a brief history of the set and manufacturer. Geeesh, if Topps issued hundred dollar bills in every pack of their product I suppose there would be some complainers. I have pulled a couple of these cards and it is very tastefully done. The history of the set on the reverse is a very nice touch. Well done Topps!

I don't normally buy new product ever, but last night I was in the party store buying stuff for my daughter's upcoming first birthday and saw they had 2010 baseball cards at 50 cents/pack..they had an unopened box of 24 so I bought it...there were a bunch of classic Topps cards from the past inserted randomly in packs...they were all glossy...still pretty cool though.

barrysloate
02-05-2011, 06:29 PM
I think Topps should leave these cards alone and stick to players of the current year. There are plenty of places today where new collectors can find images of old cards. This stuff is just junk, and a lot of it it will end up on ebay.

teetwoohsix
02-05-2011, 06:37 PM
[QUOTE=Orioles1954;869128]I know modern "shiny" cards catch a lot of flack from time to time. However, I'm really pleased with a new subset in the new 2011 Topps product. They did a great job with reproducing these cards. Looks like there might be a few more pre-war collectors coming in?

Any scans available?

Steve D
02-05-2011, 07:40 PM
Any scans available?

Just go to ebay and do a search on "2011 topps cmgr". A bunch of the cards are already out there.

Steve

Jason Carota
02-05-2011, 07:41 PM
There is also a 50 card N184 sub-set (past and present players) within 2011 Topps. Very well done, imo:

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/7/0/7/2/2/2/webimg/446395406_tp.jpg

Orioles1954
02-05-2011, 07:53 PM
There is also a 50 card N184 sub-set (past and present players) within 2011 Topps. Very well done, imo:

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/7/0/7/2/2/2/webimg/446395406_tp.jpg

How dare they?!

Steve D
02-05-2011, 07:54 PM
Yea, I was just looking at several of those Kimball minis myself. Very nicely done. The set includes cards of Mickey Mantle, Pee Wee Reese, Mel Ott and Ty Cobb.

Steve

teetwoohsix
02-05-2011, 08:08 PM
Just go to ebay and do a search on "2011 topps cmgr". A bunch of the cards are already out there.

Steve

Thanks Steve, just got off of ebay right now, and am not too impressed with some of the remakes...but those ones Jason just posted are really nice-I like those.

Clayton

novakjr
02-05-2011, 08:16 PM
Now those N184's really aren't bad at all. Very well done. At least Topps put some originality into those. Original products in a vintage style are fine with me, and for a while Topps did a hell of a job with it. The 1982 reprinting of the '52 set, I was fine with. I was even ok with the Archives sets for a while. Same with the fan favorites. But the inserted reprints have gotten a bit ridiculous. How many times has Topps reprinted the '52 Mantle now? ..Hell, even last year's "Cards your mom threw out" were a little too much for me. Although the 1990 topps Frank Thomas NNOF, and full '06 Alex Gordon with the original backs were kind of interesting.

But alas, I will admit that although I think these inserted reprints are ridiculous, if they get kids interested in the vintage market, then it can't be all bad.

Again, those N184's are kinda nice though.

rhettyeakley
02-05-2011, 08:21 PM
I have no problem with the way the cards look or anything else and I understand the argument about them possibly getting people interested in pre-war which would be a good thing. The single thing that drives me crazy is how when a set is "reprinted" it makes it nearly impossible to search on ebay or the internet for that set without pulling up thousands of entries for the new stuff. THAT is what I find annoying.

bobbvc
02-05-2011, 08:49 PM
No one is going to seriously try (ok, succeed) to pass these off as originals. I take and enjoy their good points and disregard the bad. Just bought some of the Wagner cards (ebay). I'll hold off opinions on quality until I receive them, but plan to help decorate my office by thumb tacking an E107 Wags to the wall.
Try doing That with a vintage card, tough guy....

bobbvc
02-05-2011, 10:14 PM
I'm pretty sure it does bring people into the vintage card market, for better or worse.

slidekellyslide
02-05-2011, 10:19 PM
I have no problem with the way the cards look or anything else and I understand the argument about them possibly getting people interested in pre-war which would be a good thing. The single thing that drives me crazy is how when a set is "reprinted" it makes it nearly impossible to search on ebay or the internet for that set without pulling up thousands of entries for the new stuff. THAT is what I find annoying.

If ebay sellers listed items in the baseball category correctly this wouldn't be a problem, but many of them do not fill out the year of issue for the card when they list it.

Abravefan11
02-05-2011, 10:41 PM
Like'em or hate'em I'm in the camp that believes any attention these cards can bring to the prewar side of the hobby is a good thing and out weighs any of the bad. Many of the current prewar card collectors first bought something more modern and digressed to older cardboard.

Sixtofan
02-06-2011, 06:17 AM
As others have said, anything that introduces new collectors to the hobby (and the history of the game) is a good thing. I also like the look of the N184s posted. It is nice to see the creativity to make some beautiful cards

tonyk1975
02-06-2011, 08:12 AM
I agree anything that introduces young collectors into the vintage side of card collecting is a good thing. I started out collecting the new shiny stuff until it became too expensive and too mass produced. I was introduced to the vintage side through the reprint sets of the 80's. Im in my mid thirties now with a little extra income and now im buying the cards i loved as a kid. I say the more new blood we get on this side the better.

dstudeba
02-06-2011, 09:54 AM
I'm not an expert with copyright law, but I recall there being a use rights limitation of 50 years. As such, these images would be outside of copyright. Also, the way this affect forgeries is mostly related to trademarks and dates. I think it's technically not illegal to reprint a card outside the 50 year marker, but the reproduction of any TM or C or R would be a violation of use of an unassigned trademark or something to that effect.

Again, my years might be wrong, but that's what I remember.

I am not a lawyer, but pretty much if it was made before a Disney asset existed it is public domain. After a Disney asset it is protected. Copyright works before 1923 are public domain. For the Goudeys etc. Topps might own the rights, or there might not be anyone around to defend them.

rnisly
02-06-2011, 10:22 AM
http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp335/rnisly/kimballchamps-1.jpg

53Browns
02-07-2011, 01:09 PM
Gag!!!!

pitchernut
02-07-2011, 06:25 PM
needs a listing for "modern vintage reproductions" and what is with the '59 topps in pre-war. sorry about the rant but these new cards have cluttered up things a bit...:(

powderfinger
02-08-2011, 05:35 PM
While I have nothing against new collectors being introduced to the hobby, these cards are not 1911 T05 cards as they are described by their sellers. Just searched up 1911 T205 on eBay and 20 of the first 50 offerings were for these newly issued cards. Just more stuff to plow through.

M's_Fan
02-09-2011, 09:32 AM
You can exclude anything from your ebay search by putting a dash in front of the word. So by typing in "-Topps" you exclude anything with topps in the title. That's how you get rid of the clutter. I also exclude -reprint -reprints and -rp from every one of my searches.

You want to be careful excluding words though. For example, even though I collect SGC cards, it doesn't make sense to exclude -PSA because many SGC sellers put the PSA equivalent grade in the title of the listing.

This also means your searches become more detailed and a pain to type in every time, so you have to click on the "save search" button near the top of the page after the search has been executed. Then you go into My eBay and click on "Saved Searches" and you have a list of all your favorite searches. This also allows you to have your favorite searches from any computer by logging into ebay.

E93
02-09-2011, 12:22 PM

I agree. They aren't my thing, but if they help turn on a younger generation to vintage stuff, I say, "Right on."
JimB