PDA

View Full Version : What's Going to Happen with the Mets?

barrysloate
02-05-2011, 09:06 AM
With each passing day, more serious news comes out about the Wilpons relationship with Bernie Madoff, and it appears to only get worse. However this is resolved, the Wilpons will take a huge financial hit, and may have to sell part or all of the team. And this is money that should be used to buy some quality players, something the team sorely needs. They just fired their manager and general manager, the club underperforms every year, and their finances are an absolute mess. What's going to happen to this once proud franchise?

bigtrain
02-05-2011, 12:43 PM
IMHO no one is going to be interested in being a minority partner if the Wilpons remain in control. They should get out now.

judsonhamlin
02-05-2011, 12:46 PM
Barry - There is no doubt that the team looks like a shambles - from the Wilpons' finances on down. But getting rid of Minaya and Manuel should be seen as good moves, at least. I'm not sure about the allure of Terry Collins as as the new manager - he doesn't strike me as the second coming of John McGraw - but (and I am a BoSox fan saying this) the team on the field has some promise. Whether the front office distractions kill the season will be an interesting development to watch (see the Dodgers, as well)
I'm not sure that the franchise was ever that proud, though.

barrysloate
02-05-2011, 01:09 PM
Judd- I took poetic license with the proud part. It sounded good.

I agree that the ownership should get out- but Wilpon very much wants to pass the team down to his son, so that may not happen. It's hard to imagine any serious free agents even wanting to sign with them, given the possibility of major upheaval. It's a shame what's happening to them, and it's only the start.

laughlinfan
02-05-2011, 01:22 PM
I would think from a revenue vs. expense aspect, the Mets should be able to maintain a healthy payroll and be competitive. In fact if they actually do things right and don't continue to spend bad money late in the process (overpriced late career free-agents) and instead spend it on scouting/development and actually signing a full compliment of promising draft choices, I think they could be a much stronger team in the long run.

That being said, if the Wilpons intend to try to recoup their losses through profits on running the team, then that would be a worst case scenario - and it could mean some (more) lean years ahead. I am very happy with the new front office, and am interested in seeing how Alderson can build with a high revenue team - not so sure how happy he is at this point, though. A new ownership group wouldn't be the worst thing that could happen...

novakjr
02-05-2011, 02:33 PM
Barry - There is no doubt that the team looks like a shambles - from the Wilpons' finances on down. But getting rid of Minaya and Manuel should be seen as good moves, at least. I'm not sure about the allure of Terry Collins as as the new manager - he doesn't strike me as the second coming of John McGraw - but (and I am a BoSox fan saying this) the team on the field has some promise. Whether the front office distractions kill the season will be an interesting development to watch (see the Dodgers, as well)
I'm not sure that the franchise was ever that proud, though.

Getting rid of Manuel and Minaya was a great move. The Mets organization was starting to look like it only had "latino vision". They seemed to overpay every latino up and comer who had a good year, on top of giving every latino has-been another chance...Not that I wanted to see the race angle in all of this, but it was pretty hard to miss. Things should start looking up from here on out, as long as they've got an open-minded gm.

Robextend
02-05-2011, 02:58 PM
I think the farm system should be the focal point in rebuilding the Mets team. And from Alderson has been saying, that will be their main focus. What in gods name has happened to their "big time" outfield prospects the last 15 years or so??

Alex Ochoa, Lastings Milledge, Alex Escobar, Jay Payton and now Fernando Martinez???

I know I am forgetting a couple...

judsonhamlin
02-05-2011, 03:15 PM
I think the farm system should be the focal point in rebuilding the Mets team. And from Alderson has been saying, that will be their main focus. What in gods name has happened to their "big time" outfield prospects the last 15 years or so??

Alex Ochoa, Lastings Milledge, Alex Escobar, Jay Payton and now Fernando Martinez???

I know I am forgetting a couple...

Mike Vail, Bruce Boisclair & Benny Ayala? :)

barrysloate
02-05-2011, 06:38 PM
While any aspect of the Mets team is fair game for discussion, my point wasn't whether or not they had a good farm system. It's their ties to a criminal who will be spending the rest of his life in prison that concerns me. I'm sure the team has some good young players in the pipeline, but it's the Madoff fiasco that is in the headlines.

There is virtually no news about signing front line free agents, and who for that matter would want to join them at this time. Spring training is a couple of weeks away, and one has to think it's not going to be a real cheerful place in Met camp.

Robextend
02-05-2011, 08:09 PM
Sorry Barry, I slightly derailed the thread...back on track!

barrysloate
02-06-2011, 05:02 AM
No problem Rob. Every team deals with a farm system, free agent signings, and managerial changes on a yearly basis. We know that.

But the problems the Mets now face are much more serious, and certainly of a criminal nature.