PDA

View Full Version : Autographed Bats

MacDice
02-04-2011, 02:18 PM
Just curious as to what type of pen people use when they are getting bats signed? Do you use a regular sharpie? Thicker sharpie? Paint pen? I am getting a bat signed this weekend at a private gathering and not sure what to bring.

MGHPro
02-04-2011, 03:06 PM
I think most people use regular, blue or black sharpie for blond bats and silver paint pen for black bats
Matt

shimozukawa
02-04-2011, 04:55 PM

Scott Garner
02-05-2011, 05:43 AM
Matt is pretty much spot on for which pens are used.

I personally use the Fine tip ("regular") Sharpie pen, usually in blue, for bats. On the black bats, silver (or any of the "paint" pens) works, but I've noticed they have a tendency to "streak" in the signature. For that reason, when possible, I try to use the khaki colored bats.

The thicker sharpie actually comes out very ugly. The "chisel tip" seems great in concept, but doesn't work very well on curved surfaces.

I know you didn't ask, but for balls, I almost exclusively use blue, as it's the least likely to fade to yellow... however, I've found that the purple and red tips display great on the white surface... they just fade over time.

I agree with this member on all counts with regards to what type of pen to use with bats. It's a personal preference, but I always go with blue Sharpie on blonde bats. Using a fine tip Sharpie is always preferred, because as the player continues to use the Sharpie fine point becomes medium rather quickly. I definitely feel that wide tip pens completely take away from apopearance of a signature on a bat FWIW.