PDA

View Full Version : Interesting HOF Info

oldjudge
02-04-2011, 09:42 AM
http://haulsofshame.com/blog/?p=4205#more-4205

FrankWakefield
02-04-2011, 10:17 AM
Unbelievable. And sad. Thanks for posting.

TT40391
02-04-2011, 11:19 AM
Thanks for posting this. I am planning a trip to the hall this summer. This just goes to show that people are afraid to stand up for anything today. They just want to keep things at the status quo, and are to afraid to do anything in these situations because they don't want to rock to boat and risk looking bad if the investigation doesn't turn out the way they want it. A lot of people are not worried about whats right anymore, they just ask the same question, how will it effect me if I speak up about this? Very sad indeed.

TT

19cbb
02-04-2011, 01:28 PM
Kudos to Josh Evans!

packs
02-04-2011, 02:18 PM
Very sad. Information like this would certainly keep me from donating anything to the HOF. If someone was going to make a profit from my priceless artifacts I'd rather it be a relative than a guy in a library with a briefcase making photocopies.

Joe_G.
02-04-2011, 03:58 PM
I found the Hauls of Shame Barry Halper top 100 list jaw dropping.

http://haulsofshame.com/blog/?p=1465

The list includes items stolen from the HOF, NYPL, & BPL.

Thus far, the thief seems to skate free while so many others lose including the donor, the HOF/Library, the auction house that may have unkowningly sold the item (bad press), and last, but not least, the collectors who spend significant money to grow their collection only to learn the item may be stolen property. The HOF's position on the thefts makes me feel less sorry for them and more compassionate for those who donated in trust that the cards & memorabilia would be well cared for.

A truely sad state of affairs.

Fred
02-04-2011, 05:19 PM
This just pisses a person off on many different levels.

Leon
02-04-2011, 05:27 PM
It is sad, as Fred just stated, on so many levels, including those Glass Houses too.....

bigtrain
02-04-2011, 10:10 PM
The National Baseball Hall of Fame is a national institution located in a small, remote village. It is run by local people and does not have staff sufficient to conduct investigations into missing artifacts. What it should be doing is alerting the state attorney general's office and cooperating fully with law enforcement instead of worrying about bad press. The artifacts and documents in possession of the museum are the property of the State of New York. The State has the resources to investigate and pursue criminals to get back its property. Only by pursuing and prosecuting the thieves can the HOF deter other thefts and assure potential donors that their gifts will be protected.

shimozukawa
02-05-2011, 01:59 AM

wpeters
02-05-2011, 05:21 AM
Thanks for posting this. I am planning a trip to the hall this summer.

TT

TT40391 That's great. Could you pick me up an Addie Joss autograph while you're there? Thanks, Walt :)

philliesphan
02-05-2011, 11:25 AM
I found the Hauls of Shame Barry Halper top 100 list jaw dropping.

http://haulsofshame.com/blog/?p=1465

The list includes items stolen from the HOF, NYPL, & BPL.

Joe -- there is at least one item on that list with which I would raise an issue of contention. It is purported to be stolen from the NYPL Spalding collection. But I know the owner of the item has personally approached by the NYPL Curatory Staff and the FBI, asking them to simply make a proactive "Title Claim" for the piece in order for it to be returned. (Presumably, the owner would then pursue action against the auction house from which he purchased the item). However, neither the FBI nor the NYPL have put forward such a title claim. If the original institution either does not want, or does not have an interest in pursuing the return of the item, it seems hard for me that Peter Nash can positively claim that the item is stolen.

slidekellyslide
02-05-2011, 01:49 PM
Is Mike Gutierrez still employed with Heritage Auctions? Anyone know?

triwak
02-05-2011, 02:53 PM
Cleverly titled websites and upcoming book releases not withstanding, don't believe everything you read...

oldjudge
02-05-2011, 05:18 PM
I agree with Ken. What I found most interesting in this blog is that the HOF may not be doing everything it can to retrieve missing items. Many dealers, auctioneeers, etc have been accused of all kinds of things. Until I see evidence to the contrary, I assume these personal accusations to be false.