PDA

View Full Version : "Pitchin' Man" in Hake's

Rob D.
02-03-2011, 07:52 PM
I debated about posting about this simply because every auction has its share of head-scratching results (both on the high and low sides), and the recently concluded Hake's event is no different. That being said, this just seems so baffling that I decided it's worth soliciting opinions/theories.

In 30 years of collecting Cleveland Indians memorabilia, I've probably seen no less than 50 copies of this book in person. I don't think I've ever seen one sell for more than $25. The copy in Hake's received only two bids and ended with a selling price (including the buyer's penalty) of $379.50.

I keep rereading the description to see whether I missed a mention of it being autographed. I don't think I did.

So what am I missing?

http://www.hakes.com/item.asp?Auction=202&ItemNo=94272

bigtrain
02-03-2011, 09:18 PM
While I have seen the book sell for more than $25, you should be able to pick up a half dozen of them for the price they got.

baseballart
02-03-2011, 09:49 PM
I was going to comment on this one too. When Hal Liebowitz passed away (1998ish?), there were boxes of this book still in his basement. SABR was offering them (if I recall correctly) for $7.50 each.

barrysloate
02-04-2011, 08:30 AM
I saw that too. Over the years I've had several copies of that book and typically sold them in the $30-35 range. There was a hoard of them found a number of years ago. It's a common book. Apparently two or more bidders weren't aware of this.

Exhibitman
02-04-2011, 09:56 AM
"Knowledge is good." Emil Faber

"Ignorance is Bliss" George Orwell

baseballart
02-04-2011, 09:58 AM
Rob

As Barry says, it's most likely a case of two bidders not being aware of the number of copies of this book that are in the market. When this book is placed in an auction with a number of rare Negro League items, the bidders may have incorrectly concluded that the book was rarer than Hake's estimate and description (which was not way out of line at $100-200) edited to add: not way out of line at $100, but $200 is indeed stretching it.

barrysloate
02-04-2011, 10:07 AM
I agree Max that the context had something to do with it. Richard had such a sophisticated collection that it made Pitchin' Man look a little more substantial than it was.

Jason19th
02-04-2011, 10:12 AM
I quess I don't know how you spend $400 for somthing without doing just a little reasearch- there are four copies of this book available for less then $85 on ABE right now and a copy just sold on this board for $30

Jason

novakjr
02-04-2011, 10:22 AM
I quess I don't know how you spend $400 for somthing without doing just a little reasearch- there are four copies of this book available for less then $85 on ABE right now and a copy just sold on this board for $30

Jason

I believe there's a copy on Amazon for $60. It doesn't have a picture, so I can't be sure if it's from the first printing though.

baseballart
02-04-2011, 03:41 PM
I believe there's a copy on Amazon for $60. It doesn't have a picture, so I can't be sure if it's from the first printing though.

I think I have a spare copy for $399 :D