PDA

View Full Version : Good Bye Andy!

canjond
02-03-2011, 04:28 PM
Sad to see Andy retire. He's really the first player I grew up watching from the time he was a rookie until today. Without question, a guy i'd want pitching for me in the post season. A Stellar career and a stand-out player. I don't think the HOF will be calling, but I'm sure Andy might prefer it that way.

GoldenAge50s
02-03-2011, 07:32 PM
Bad timing for the Yankees, I'd say.

vintagetoppsguy
02-03-2011, 09:14 PM
I used to sell furniture at a large store in Houston, TX. About 10 years ago, Andy called the store one night and ordered a mattress for his daughter over the phone. I processed the order and offered to deliver it personally. Andy lives in Deer Park, TX, probably 45 minutes away. When we got there, his wife answered the door and we carried the mattress upstairs. Andy was home playing catch with the kids in the back yard. We came back downstairs and asked his wife if we could meet him. She called him in the house and he came inside and talked to us for a few minutes. He was a super nice guy and signed a baseball for me. Great guy!

Robextend
02-03-2011, 09:52 PM
Sad to see Andy retire. He's really the first player I grew up watching from the time he was a rookie until today. Without question, a guy i'd want pitching for me in the post season. A Stellar career and a stand-out player. I don't think the HOF will be calling, but I'm sure Andy might prefer it that way.

Couldn't agree more with you Jon. I started following the Yanks in the early 90's and was at a snowy Yankee home opener in 1996 when Andy was on the mound and got the win. He will be missed.

tiger8mush
02-04-2011, 10:06 AM
My fav Yankee since the days of Mattingly and Rickey Henderson

Sad to see him go :( He was fun to watch pitch, throwing a lot of off-speed breaking pitches. He always seemed to induce a groundball double play at the perfect moment! Great pickoff move to 1B. Great competitor. Glad I was able to watch him play and saw him pitch live a few times at Yankee Stadium. Not to mention, he got the victory in the final game at the old Yankee Stadium in 2008.

I never considered him to be HOF material - just a solid #2 type of pitcher that you always knew what you'd get from him. However, it looks like he'll have a chance to get in after a few ballots when you reflect on his entire career achievements.

novakjr
02-04-2011, 10:45 AM
My fav Yankee since the days of Mattingly and Rickey Henderson

Sad to see him go :( He was fun to watch pitch, throwing a lot of off-speed breaking pitches. He always seemed to induce a groundball double play at the perfect moment! Great pickoff move to 1B. Great competitor. Glad I was able to watch him play and saw him pitch live a few times at Yankee Stadium. Not to mention, he got the victory in the final game at the old Yankee Stadium in 2008.

I never considered him to be HOF material - just a solid #2 type of pitcher that you always knew what you'd get from him. However, it looks like he'll have a chance to get in after a few ballots when you reflect on his entire career achievements.

Don't get me wrong, I like Andy as much as the next guy, but he's still got the whole HGH thing hanging over his head. Sure he's not one of the extreme cases. In fact most have forgiven/forgotten it. But for a borderline player, it will more than likely keep him out. If he had surefire stats, then I'd say he would probably be the first steroid-guy to get in because of how he handled the whole thing. But, once again, he didn't have surefire numbers, so that point is kinda moot.

D. Bergin
02-04-2011, 11:11 AM
Big Yankee fan and big Andy Pettitte fan.

Best guy I've ever seen pitching with men on base..............and make no mistake, he put a lot of guys on base.

Maybe the best pick-off move that wasn't called a balk in history.

Andy was the better pressure and postseason pitcher, but I think Mike Mussina gets in before Andy does, based on lifetime statistics, Gold Gloves, etc...

I don't think Andy gets in. He does join the list of many Excellent pitchers who aren't quite HOF material, but you sure as hell wouldn't kick him off your team.