PDA

View Full Version : Kreindleritis

Lordstan
02-03-2011, 10:59 AM
So how many here are infected?
As I unboxed the newest centerpiece to my collection I thought about the illness and its stages.

This is my interpretation of the various signs and symptoms. This disease entity is fairly new to the medical field, so I am certainly open to suggestions for additions and modifications.

Stage 1: A passing interest begins. It is usually a chance viewing like when first taking note of the Mathewson painting posted by Graig in 7/09 thread. Some in this stage may have even visited his website.

Stage 2: You now have become more obsessed. You now know which post in that thread Graig posted the Matty(#24). This allows you to pull out your smartphone at a moments notice to show someone the picture that "will blow them away." At this point his website in linked in both home, work, and phone browsers. Other findings may include download of pictures from here or the website to use as your computer background or printed and framed.

Stage 3: You become more passionate now. You become excited whenever there is a new post in the "On the easel" thread. You start to strategize how you can pull off the purchase.(The offical diagnosis does not require this symptom as it may not be present in those with larger resources). Pictures start to lose some of their intrinsic beauty, as all you can focus on is how they would look in Kreindlercolor(thanks David/Kawika!)

Stage 4: You go for it and order the painting. This is a very tricky phase as once you have the picture in hand there may be a brief decrease in symptoms. This phonemenon is related to the satisfaction that goes along with admiring it in its new surrounding, showing it off to all your friends, and posting it online. Some might even go so far as to write about their obsession.:D
Many clinicians have been fooled by this euphoric period into thinking the illness is over.

Stage 5: The brief joy is over and the hunger returns. At this stage the infection is deep seated. You thought getting one would sate the illness, but instead it cemented it's hold on you. Now you want another one.
You realize that Conlon knew how take a pretty good picture, but you're absolutely sure Graig can make it look the way it really should. :rolleyes:
For those with more resources, it becomes a question of which picture to get. Do you start a theme or just go for the best picture? For those with less, it's how do I swing the money? You start to scheme...Do I sell stuff that is less improtant to me? Can I sell the one I have for multiples of what I paid, which I know it's absolutely worth, and go back for multiple paintings or only one, but a bigger size?
This stage can also be characterized by the rearranging of you den/home to make sure the painting is displayed in a proper setting.

Stage 6: The end stage. You have given in and own multiple paintings and still want more! This stage is marked by satisfaction in the beauty your home now has hanging in it.

The good news is that the infection is of variable trasmissive property. It is highly contagious to baseball fans. Fortunately, It seems many wives are immune to it's effect. If they ever lose their immunity, I fear for all our safety.

Research on treatment options are underway, but, so far, there is no cure.

For myself, I am in the euphoria of stage 4. Now I have to finish my basement to give the painting a proper place to hang(Oh No! Stage 5 here I come!). How about you?

Graig,
Thanks for your amazing work. I love the painting. Tell Dean that the packing was great. It's a tank.
As I'm no art afficionado, I like your opinion on framing it? As an artist, do you feel framing takes away from the painting itself?

Jimmy,
Thanks for the pic. I appreciate it very much. Enjoy yours.

Best,
Mark

Now a few pics.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/lordstan/2011-02-02213206.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/lordstan/2011-02-02213625.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/lordstan/2011-02-02213727.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/lordstan/2011-02-02214013.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/lordstan/2011-02-02214153.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/lordstan/Lou_Gehrig_1925_Smile_Conlon.jpg

Oldtix
02-03-2011, 11:13 AM
If lovin' that is wrong, I don't wanna be right...

Incredible. Congrats...

Lordstan
02-03-2011, 11:33 AM
Thanks Rick.

timzcardz
02-03-2011, 11:50 AM
Fra-gee-lay, hmmm, it must be Italian. :)

I think that I'm at stage 3 and holding . . . for now!

jacksons
02-03-2011, 11:55 AM
Great post, Mark.

As the owner of that Matty, I know how you feel.

You're missing the Waiting Stage, which can be exhausting, as Graig has a list longer now than 2+ years. While you wait, you have to endure second-guessing (did I pick the right photo to do?), and watch as he endlessly posts completed pieces that test your patience even further.

Though I have yet to make it through the Waiting Stage completely, as I have not received a commissioned work yet (almost 1 year wait on #1), I know that once that crazy wooden box arrives from Dean, it will be well worth it.

Enjoy that Gehrig - it's a beauty!

Lordstan
02-03-2011, 12:27 PM
Tim,
That is Italian. After all, his agent is Dean Lombardo!

Jacksons,
I think the waiting phase is part of stage 4.
I should've broken it up into 3 sub phases:
First is the joy of actually making the order after carefully picking your photo.
Second is the dreaded waiting, which you summarized perfectly.
Third is the euphoric stage that lulls you into a sense of comfort.

What are you getting done?

Mark

whitehse
02-03-2011, 12:44 PM
I am also at stage 3 only because finances will not allow me to proceed to any higher stage.. Thats why I have been begging for lithos or posters to satisfy me until I win the lottery!!

mr2686
02-03-2011, 02:10 PM
Mark, my friend, that is a beautiful Gehrig. As for the framing, I don't feel there is a right or wrong, it just depends on you. If you want to frame it, go to a good framer and work with them to determine a frame that will complement that great painting and not detract. I think if it was me that I'd leave it unframed.
As for finishing up your basement, I would be willing to fly out at my own expense to help you finish it up. My only fee would be your signed Alston and Stengel Sport magazines...and maybe one of the Mantles! :D

GKreindler
02-03-2011, 05:25 PM
Wow, I don't quite know what to say! I'm glad you were so pleased with the painting, Mark. Whether you decide to get anymore or not, I sincerely hope this one brings you enough joy for a lifetime.

Regarding the framing, well, it's really a personal choice. I really like how they look unframed myself, with the smooth gallery wrap of the linen and all. For whatever reason, it just always feels more like a piece of art to me, if that makes any sense. And honestly, there's something very appealing to me to see the raw linen show through on the sides.

But, that doesn't mean that it wouldn't look beautiful in the right frame. If you decided to go with one, usually simple, deep cherry-wood looks great. Of course, Dean could probably steer you in a good direction, too.

And worry not jacksons, your painting is actually going to be getting some good easel time over the next few weeks (probably starting the week after next), so expect some progress shots. Man, I hate being behind.

For the record, those wooden crates are ridiculous. Dean definitely knows how to pack 'em - they're probably bomb-proof like David said all those months back.

Thanks again for the really kind, thoughtful post, Mark. I like the idea of being an illness (I think). I can only hope that it's communicable, but not fatal.

Graig

Lordstan
02-04-2011, 04:50 PM
Mike,
Dream away buddy. You'll have to pry the Alston and Stengel from my cold dead hands.

Graig,
It really is a beauty.
I am pretty sure your illness is incurable, but not fatal. Though the presence of a wife seems to slow down it's progression.:D

I wanted to say to everyone that the paintings don't cost as much as I expected, so if you're interested give Graig a shout. Both he and his manager are cool guys who are very reasonable and willing to help. I think many on the board, who have already obtained a painting, would echo these sentiments.

Best to all,
Mark

Leon
02-04-2011, 05:59 PM
My commendations go out to Graig for his fine work. If I ever were to get a sports type painting I can't imagine I would want it done by anyone else other than yourself. As someone who appreciates "realism", your work is simply amazing.

Mark- You are the author of one of the best posts/threads I have seen on the board. Thanks for sharing!!

Lordstan
02-04-2011, 07:39 PM
Leon,
Thanks for the kind words.
I can only strive to post with the same eloquence as David/Kawika. He is my post composition hero.

One day Graig's paintings will be thought of in the same way as Nieman and others of his ilk. The talent is undeniable.

Best,
Mark

CW
02-04-2011, 09:10 PM
Congratulations, Mark -- that is a fantastic work of art! Thanks for sharing
an insight into the obsession. :)

I also like how Dean actually put a handle on the crate to make it easier
for the UPS guy to carry it.

Kawika
02-04-2011, 10:03 PM
Leon,
Thanks for the kind words.
I can only strive to post with the same eloquence as David/Kawika. He is my post composition hero.

One day Graig's paintings will be thought of in the same way as Nieman and others of his ilk. The talent is undeniable.

Best,
Mark

Me like painting Graig make. Graig paint guud.

Lordstan
02-04-2011, 10:31 PM
Me like painting Graig make. Graig paint guud.

That's exactly what I am talking about.

barrysloate
02-05-2011, 01:16 PM
Wow, this is a cool thread. I just noticed it. I enjoyed the picture story Mark told. Well done.

And a gorgeous painting of Gehrig, of course.

ethicsprof
02-05-2011, 11:57 PM
'tis a beaut!!
and a great thread.

best,

barry

milkit1
02-06-2011, 10:53 AM
man oh man Im imagining what my Hal Chase small baseball card painting is going to look like hint hint :)

GKreindler
02-06-2011, 10:18 PM
Hey all,

A couple of people have contacted me (and apparently some other board members) to ask about the pricing and processes of the commissions we take on. So, I thought I'd try to lay down some info in case anyone else was interested.

Regarding prices, well they only relate to sizes right now, not at all with complexity or player. With that in mind, we have basically three tiers of possible sizes. On the small end, these are the set numbers:

9" x 12"s are $2400
11" x 14"s are $2600
12" x 16"s are $2800
16" x 20"s (the size of Lordstan's Gehrig) are $3000

Once you get to 18" x 24", you're in the medium sized range of prices. Those paintings end up being $8.50 a square inch. So, an 18" x 24" would cost $3672, or a 22" x 30" would cost $5610. Jacksons Matty painting, at 26" x 36" would be $7956.

The larger size range starts at 30" x 40", and those end up being $8.00 a square inch. So, a 30" x 40" would be $9600, or a 38" x 52" would be $15808.

Right now, the wait time that Dean (my agent) has been telling people has been about two years. Depending on the size and/or complexity of the piece, it might be done sooner, as I seem to be able to knock out the simple portraits in less time.

Regarding payment, our policy is a 1/3 non-refundable deposit down, the next 1/3 for when I'm about halfway done with the painting, and the last 1/3 upon completion. Also, there would be an extra charge for crating and shipping, unless of course you were able to come pick the painting up from either Bronxville, NY or Brooklyn, NY. I'm not exactly sure how much that part of it costs in the end, but since Dean uses practically bomb-proof packaging, I'm pretty sure it runs in the range of the mid-hundreds. Either way, I can certainly get you a better idea if need be.

Now, Dean is really flexible with payment schedules if they are so desired. In other words, he's often taken a small deposit of a couple of hundred dollars just to reserve a spot in the queue. Or, sometimes he allows the payments to be broken up into monthly installments. I guess whatever your situation is, he's more than happy to make it work. Additionally, as a point of interest, Dean raises these prices about twice a year (he just raised them about a month ago), so sending in an initial deposit locks you in on that rate for that particular painting. To learn more about all of that stuff, it's definitely worth contacting Dean.

Speaking of contacting, well, if you have any further questions for me, feel free to throw a private message my way, or email me at gkreindler@gmail.com. Or, if you want to go straight to Dean, he can be reached at 914.779.7979 or through baseball@objects-images.com.

Thanks so much for the interest in my work, guys - it's very much appreciated.

Graig

Lordstan
02-07-2011, 07:42 AM
Just as an FYI, The shipping on my painting was $120. Considering the tank it came in, I have no problem with the cost.

I also wanted to say, in regard to purchasing a painting, Graig's manager Dean is a really good guy who was very flexible with me payment wise. His flexibility allowed me to be able to afford the picture.

Mark

thekingofclout
02-07-2011, 08:02 AM
Just as an FYI, The shipping on my painting was $120. Considering the tank it came in, I have no problem with the cost.

I also wanted to say, in regard to purchasing a painting, Graig's manager Dean is a really good guy who was very flexible with me payment wise. His flexibility allowed me to be able to afford the picture.

Mark

Dean is more flexible than you think Mark. :rolleyes: I've seen photos of him in his hot tub! :eek:

milkit1
02-07-2011, 11:25 AM
so at $8 per square inch I COULD get a nifty 20 square inch hal chase for $160 :D

timzcardz
02-07-2011, 11:34 AM
Dean is more flexible than you think Mark. :rolleyes: I've seen photos of him in his hot tub! :eek:

And is that your next commision? :eek:

Forever Young
02-07-2011, 12:19 PM
....http://sportscollectorsdaily.ning.com/photo/mickey-mantle-malcom-emmons/next?context=user

It is incredible.

Lordstan
02-07-2011, 01:03 PM
First off,
Thanks Barry and Barry. It looks even better in person.

Jimmy,
Waaaaaaay too much information!:eek:

so at $8 per square inch I COULD get a nifty 20 square inch hal chase for $160 :D

Sean,
That's a 4x5 painting. Probably the right size to start your own card set.:D

....http://sportscollectorsdaily.ning.com/photo/mickey-mantle-malcom-emmons/next?context=user

It is incredible.

Ben,
That is incredible. I guess now you are in the euphoric phase of stage 4!
Unless it's your second, then you'd be at stage 5. Welcome to the club.

How big is it?

Best to all,
Mark

Forever Young
02-07-2011, 01:21 PM
Mark,

It is 26 by 38. Worth its weight in gold...

Ben

First off,
Thanks Barry and Barry. It looks even better in person.

Jimmy,
Waaaaaaay too much information!:eek:

Sean,
That's a 4x5 painting. Probably the right size to start your own card set.:D

Ben,
That is incredible. I guess now you are in the euphoric phase of stage 4!
Unless it's your second, then you'd be at stage 5. Welcome to the club.

How big is it?

Best to all,
Mark

ptr002
02-09-2011, 01:38 PM
Ben,

Great painting of the Bambino. Sure was worth the wait. I can't wait until mine is finished.

Lordstan
12-18-2014, 10:38 PM
So it's been a few years since I updated this thread. For various reasons, I only just got around to framing my Kreindler masterpiece and wanted to show the board.

The photo isn't perfect, but it gives the general idea. I can't wait for it's final home to be available for me to hang it and photograph the painting properly. It looks soooooo much better in person.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/lordstan/My%20Lou%20Gehrig%20stuff/Louframessm.jpg

Scott Garner
12-19-2014, 02:45 AM
So it's been a few years since I updated this thread. For various reasons, I only just got around to framing my Kreindler masterpiece and wanted to show the board.

The photo isn't perfect, but it gives the general idea. I can't wait for it's final home to be available for me to hang it and photograph the painting properly. It looks soooooo much better in person.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/lordstan/My%20Lou%20Gehrig%20stuff/Louframessm.jpg

Congrats Mark, Lou looks terrific! Almost 4 years to get him framed?? :eek:

tiger8mush
12-19-2014, 05:24 AM

Wow, beautiful! Love it!

billyb
12-19-2014, 08:17 AM
Mark,
What a great picture of Gehrig you chose. Classic.

Bill

ethicsprof
12-19-2014, 10:05 AM
gorgeous! well worth the wait. I like the way the frame colors bring out the
Yankee cap/uniform colors.

congrats,

best,
barry

MVSNYC
12-19-2014, 10:33 AM
Just had my Ruth Study framed. It has museum glass, which does not read in the photo.

I love it.

GKreindler
12-19-2014, 11:26 AM
This disease that some of you suffer from is a weird one, indeed.

The frames look wonderful with their pieces, guys. Excellent choices!

Graig

gnaz01
12-19-2014, 11:38 AM
This disease that some of you suffer from is a weird one, indeed.

The frames look wonderful with their pieces, guys. Excellent choices!

Graig

Yeah Graig, I caught it too, not sure if there is a cure or not, but will let you know soon :)

Lordstan
12-19-2014, 09:27 PM
Congrats Mark, Lou looks terrific! Almost 4 years to get him framed?? :eek:

Scott,
It took a while because for the first 3 yrs my basement wasn't finished. I waited until I saw where he would hang to decide on the framing. Plus, I had to choose the frame carefully, because it had to measure up to the job you did on your JVM. You should post up a photo in the thread. You know you suffer from the illness.

Thanks to everyone for the kind words.

MVSNYC,
That frame looks great on the Babe.

Graig,
The only known treatment is wifeicillin. It is a very painful treatment that doesn't cure the illness, but does prevent the progression to owning multiple paintings.

Mark

Scott Garner
12-19-2014, 09:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
Congrats Mark, Lou looks terrific! Almost 4 years to get him framed??

Scott,
It took a while because for the first 3 yrs my basement wasn't finished. I waited until I saw where he would hang to decide on the framing. Plus, I had to choose the frame carefully, because it had to measure up to the job you did on your JVM. You should post up a photo in the thread. You know you suffer from the illness.

Mark,
Now I completely understand! Even thought it took quite a while to get to where you're at today, it looks great. I cant wait to see a photo of it hanging in the finished basement. Your framing job and choice of colors is spot on, BTW.

Yes, it's true I do suffer from Kreindleritis and I don't see any end in sight.
As per your request, here is Vandy in Repose at Ebbets Field 1938, or as Graig calls it: Dutch Master. He painted this for me in 2012.

Happy holidays!

Lordstan
12-19-2014, 09:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
Congrats Mark, Lou looks terrific! Almost 4 years to get him framed??

Scott,

Mark,
Now I completely understand! Even thought it took quite a while to get to where you're at today, it looks great. I cant wait to see a photo of it hanging in the finished basement. Your framing job and choice of colors is spot on, BTW.

Yes, I do suffer from Kreindleritis and I don't see any end in sight.
As per your request, here is Vandy in repose at Ebbets Field 1938, or as Graig calls it: Dutch Master.

Happy holidays!

Dutch Master is correct.
That is one of my favs of his and your frame choice was superb. It really complements the painting well.

ethicsprof
12-19-2014, 10:11 PM
I think that your treatment for the disease is purely iatrogenic.

best,
barry

terjung
12-24-2014, 11:32 PM
I love the look of that frame on Gehrig!

I chose to frame mine as well. This fish-eye snapshot does not do it justice in the least.

I still find myself starring at the painting for extended periods of time. I think I'm nearing Stage 5.

http://photos.imageevent.com/ltsgallery/memberfolderssv/terjung1/wagner/websize/P1370640.JPG