PDA

View Full Version : Request for Opinion on Value of a Multi Signed & Inscribed Ball

Cliffd4
02-01-2011, 11:17 AM
I have a Multi Signed and Inscribed baseball that is number 2 of only 20 “Kings of Baseball” that were created by Steiner. The ball has been graded an Overall “10”, by PSA/DNA, and it has been signed and inscribed by the following:

Pete Rose (Sweet Spot) “4256”, “Kings of Baseball”, “2/20”
Hank Aaron “755”
Nolan Ryan “5714”

A Steiner Seal is affixed to the ball, and their COA is included. Also, LOA’s from JSA and PSA/DNA are included. The PSA/DNA LOA shows a “10” grading for each of The Rose, Aaron, and Ryan autographs/inscriptions and a “10” grading for the ball. The ball is encased in a PSA/DNA ball cube.

Your opinion on the approximate value of the above baseball will be greatly appreciated.

David Atkatz
02-02-2011, 01:32 AM
Anything created by Steiner is not worth the original selling price.

perezfan
02-02-2011, 01:48 AM
This forum isn't the best place to ask the question. The people who post here, for the most part, are more focused on older (truly rare) vintage pieces and not modern "created" pieces like the one you're describing.

I'm sure there are many collectors out there that would go gaga for all the "perfect 10" graded signatures and multiple LOAs that accompany your Ball. But they would most likely tend to frequent forums/venues other than this one.

It's admittedly kinda snooty around here, as this forum isn't the best place to discuss new/modern collectibles like your piece. That said... Steiner's prices are borderline insane, and if you get even close to what you paid for it, you've done exceedingly well ;)

shimozukawa
02-02-2011, 02:38 AM

Scott Garner
02-02-2011, 06:22 AM
One point that has not been brought up is the fact that Aaron is no longer the "official" King of HR's since Barry Bonds passed him in that category. I'm sure that there are some collectors that might feel that this fact diminishes this type of theme ball's potential value.

That being said, Aaron will always be the HR KIng in my book because there are no PED's to muddy the water.

Fuddjcal
02-02-2011, 08:46 AM
agree with other on the Steiner pieces. They are usually rock solid for authentication, but people are crazy for authentications. I see the value this way if I like the item and I was bidding. Single signed balls are usually more desirable. The type of ball would make a big difference. Some Steiner balls from these guys were on Leonard Coleman NL balls. Those balls are EXTREMELY RARE to find in Mint condition. Something with the water that was used to produce them but they usually tone like a bitch. Probably not a Bobby Brown NL ball, so that leaves a Bud Selig Special. It also depends on actual photos of the ball and autos and when it was graded. If it's a selig ball, there is a good chance of the autograph fading especially if displayed.

So, Assuming a Selig ball and the ball is STILL a "10". I would look at it like this for current value.... Aaron 85.00+Ryan 45.00+ Rose 35.00 (Rose signs everyday in Vegas for 100.00+ and his PSA Auto's are everywhere) add 10% for the inscriptions= 181.00. -25% for Multi signed=145.00. Add 50.00 for the extra PSA cert (would not even think of paying for the JSA too as the PSA LOA can be used for grading and the JSA is nothing more than a feel good item to throw in.) $195.00. a 40-75% Premium for GEM MINT and a 2/20 you might have a $300.00 item, maybe more if it's a Coleman NL. Personally, I would want to pay about $150.00 for it, if I was buying anymore, but because the sickening fraud going on, I have quit. I hope that helps.

keithsky
02-02-2011, 09:45 AM
The bad thing with that ball is Rickey Henderson is included on many things with the Kings Of Baseball theme for stolen bases so not sure why Steiner didn't contract him for that other than to take the easy way out and not bother.

novakjr
02-02-2011, 10:28 AM
I'm more of a SS ball guy myself...That ball really doesn't appeal to me that much, and I'm sure I'm not alone in this. Basically, what I'm getting at is that it isn't a universally desirable ball, and that will definitely have a negative effect on the value of the ball. And while someone pointed out that Bonds passed Aaron, sure the ped/asterix factor plays in as far as the 755 inscription, but Aaron is still relevant as the RBI leader as well.

However, if maybe Henderson, Bonds and Ripken were all added to this ball with respective inscriptions of "1406", "73" or "762", and "2632". I might definitely be interested, and perhaps pay a premium for ball like that. Sadaharu Oh would be a nice addition, and perhaps Ichiro for the single season hit record.

Basically what I'm getting at is, what's the point of having a "Kings of Baseball" without including all the kings? or at least all possible living kings.

If you're looking to sell, I'd suggest setting a significant BIN with a best-offer option. Maybe in the $350-400 range. I don't think I'd take a chance on a straight auction with that ball. You're gonna have to be patient to get a decent sale value.