PDA

View Full Version : Question about clean sweep auctions

TT40391
01-31-2011, 02:51 PM
Hello everyone, I just registered for Clean sweep auctions in time for their auction which ends in three days. Has everyone had a good experience with clean sweep? I am just getting into the online auction houses as Leon was nice enough to register me for the Brockman Luckey auctions and now Clean sweep has registered me. Some auction houses have refused to register me, I guess because I am in my 20's and I guess I qualify as a risk. Any info would be appreciated as there are few cards I would like to bid on in Clean sweep's current auction. Thanks

TT

smtjoy
01-31-2011, 03:14 PM
I have had good experiences with Clean Sweeps Auctions as a buyer. They were also my first auction house I bid and won from.

deadballera
01-31-2011, 03:25 PM
no problems... have dealt with Steve for many years.

TT40391
01-31-2011, 04:24 PM
Thanks for the responses guys.

Tony Turner

DixieBaseball
01-31-2011, 04:27 PM
Clean Sweep has always done right by me, and you should have no issues.

JJ

albrshbr
01-31-2011, 04:47 PM
I've won a few auctions with them over the years. Never had any problems. Maybe the only complaint would be that they tend to overgrade some of their raw items. I check all the scans closely, but was disappointed in a few cards where scans were not available. Most of these were hand-cut cards like strips or Post/Jello.

All that being said, they've been great and I participate in most of their auctions.

uffda51
01-31-2011, 04:48 PM
+1

"I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger. Then it hit me… "

peterb69
01-31-2011, 04:56 PM
I have bought things from both his catalog & auction w/o problems.

gnaz01
01-31-2011, 05:26 PM
Very reliable

ibuysportsephemera
01-31-2011, 05:46 PM
Multiple problems as a consignor. I have never bid with them so I can't help you with that. There are others on this board that have had problems as well with Clean Sweep.

wolfdogg
01-31-2011, 06:09 PM
Been buying from Steve since around 1995 or so, both from catalog and from his auctions with never a problem..........

Fred
01-31-2011, 06:28 PM
I've won a few auctions with them over the years. Never had any problems. Maybe the only complaint would be that they tend to overgrade some of their raw items. I check all the scans closely, but was disappointed in a few cards where scans were not available. Most of these were hand-cut cards like strips or Post/Jello.

I agree with the above.

sox1903wschamp
01-31-2011, 06:31 PM
Participating for 15-18 years at least. They have always taken care of some minor issue's I have had from time to time.

forazzurri2axz
01-31-2011, 06:52 PM
deleted

calvindog
01-31-2011, 08:12 PM
I'd lay off any ceiling bids if I were you.

glynparson
01-31-2011, 08:19 PM
I have never had a problem either buying or selling with Steve.

joeadcock
01-31-2011, 08:23 PM
First auction won with Steve Verkman around 1995. Never had any problems at all.

JamesGallo
01-31-2011, 09:28 PM
I had a grading problem with him years ago, it was a hassle and he tried to blame it on me. I gave him another shot and it did not go well at all. Had a big disagreement and will never ever deal with him again. I would not even sell him anything and I just walk past his table. I would never buy a thing from him no matter what.

I would think you would have less problems if you were buying a graded cards, both my problems were with raw cards.

I also know that he is way over priced on shipping.

James Gallo

Buythatcard
02-01-2011, 05:08 AM
Have won several auctions from Clean Sweep. Never a problem. One of my favorite places to bid at. Always very professional.

Railroad Bill
02-01-2011, 07:11 AM
Why would an auction house refuse anyone. Don't they take credit cards.

bobbyw8469
02-01-2011, 09:01 AM
No. Heritage takes credit card. Clean Sweep does not.

Tony Gordon
02-01-2011, 09:35 AM
No problems with Clean Sweep. I factor in the overgrades when I bid on raw. I have also bought cards from them at the Sun Times show and found them pleasant to deal with. I think all the auction houses overcharge on shipping -- it's just another factor you have to consider when bidding.

pclpads
02-01-2011, 11:30 AM
no message....

Leon
02-01-2011, 01:13 PM
no message....

PCLPADS- per the forum rules, you and anyone else, that wants to say something negative about a business or a person, needs to put your first and last name in your post. Please edit out your comment or post your full name....and that goes for anyone else too. There are a few others in this thread that need names in their posts, please. Same rules for everyone. In a little while I will correct any post that is not in keeping with the rules. thanks much!!

Rob D.
02-01-2011, 01:20 PM
PCLPADS- per the forum rules, you and anyone else, that wants to say something negative about a business or a person, needs to put your first and last name in your post. Please edit out your comment or post your full name....and that goes for anyone else too. There are a few others in this thread that need names in their posts, please. Same rules for everyone. In a little while I will correct any post that is not in keeping with the rules. thanks much!!

You might want to correct this original post from Jan. 24:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=132508

Leon
02-01-2011, 01:27 PM
You might want to correct this original post from Jan. 24:

That thread was started 3 days before the new rules were posted. Thanks for the help though.

Rob D.
02-01-2011, 01:38 PM
That thread was started 3 days before the new rules were posted. Thanks for the help though.

I was going by your post, which outlined the new rules, at 2:16 p.m. Jan. 24:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=132499

The "SCD ripoff" thread was posted at 7:29 p.m. Jan. 24.

My mistake.

Leon
02-01-2011, 01:42 PM
I was going by your post, which outlined the new rules, at 2:16 p.m. Jan. 24:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=132499

The "SCD ripoff" thread was posted at 7:29 p.m. Jan. 24.

My mistake.

They weren't posted on the board, in the rules area, until the 27th. You are entitled to mistakes too.....

Sent: Thursday, January 27, 2011 8:00 PM
To: Leon Luckey
Subject: Re: net54rulesfinal...please replace what is there...

New rules added/updated.

Thx,
Brian

TT40391
02-01-2011, 02:16 PM
Thanks for all the great responses everyone. I am not making it up about not being given a working account at a few major online card auction houses but I feel there is no need to mention them here. I can't wait to see what is going to be in the upcoming B-L auction this weekend. Does anyone have some advance info;)

Tony Turner

Joe Hunter
02-01-2011, 02:23 PM
This is not a knock on Clean Sweep or Steve in any way; just a strange story regarding an item I consigned a few years ago. I had an unopened 1959 Topps cello pack with Roger Maris on the back that I consigned to Clean Sweep Auctions. The pack was ungraded. It eventually sold for a very good price. Before I received payment for the pack, Steve contacted me to say that the winning bidder was having it graded and I would not get payment until the winner received the results of the grade. I really wasn't that concerned, because I was confident the pack was good. Well, the pack came back "resealed" from GAI. The winning bidder sent the pack back to Steve who, in turn, returned it to me, along with the documentation from GAI (I believe the pack had sold for around $700). Later, I took the pack to a major card show and had a national dealer take a look at it. It was his opinion that the pack WAS good and he was so sure that he offered me about $300 for it. I ended up selling him the pack for just over that amount. Lo-and-behold, about 6 months later I see that very pack in the dealer's catalog auction IN a GAI holder. The pack ended up selling for around $800. In other dealings with Steve and Clean Sweep, I have found them to be friendly and upfront.

iggyman
02-01-2011, 02:26 PM
I've never had any problems with Steve Verkman, but he certainly does not have a sterling reputation within the hobby. He has been roasted on this site a few times (that Babe Ruth Calendar thread comes to mind.....). Perhaps, like a good wine, he has mellowed with age.

Just be careful out there! Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

Lovely Day...

bobbyw8469
02-01-2011, 09:12 PM
[Steve contacted me to say that the winning bidder was having it graded and I would not get payment until the winner received the results of the grade

That is the most CRAZIEST thing I have ever heard of!!! That is like me buying some local property, BUT I only want it if the proposed plans to build a shopping mall come true for it. If the plans are scrapped, I fully expect to get my money back, PLUS a 10% penalty for my troubles!
-Robert Williams

Rickyy
02-02-2011, 01:01 AM
Good experiences for me.

Ricky Y

bobbyw8469
02-02-2011, 05:27 AM
I have had good experiences with them as well, but I have never consigned anything with them. Not paying a consignor until an item gets back from a grading company is one of the CRAZIEST things I have ever heard of! What is an item is described as EX/MT, and comes back NM? Is the auction house going to pay me the difference I lost in the item coming back a higher grade?
-Bobby Williams

wrapperguy
02-02-2011, 08:02 AM
Have been buying from Clean Sweep for many years with only one problem that they fixed without a hassle. Will continue to buy from them without hesitation. Wish I had enough money for the Lajoie in tonight's auction. Never sold/consigned from them only because I do not have much to sell, unfortunately.

D. Bergin
02-02-2011, 11:32 AM
That is the most CRAZIEST thing I have ever heard of!!! That is like me buying some local property, BUT I only want it if the proposed plans to build a shopping mall come true for it. If the plans are scrapped, I fully expect to get my money back, PLUS a 10% penalty for my troubles!
-Robert Williams

Doesn't seem that crazy to me if a question of authenticity arises.

The auction house is on the hook for the entire amount if the pack comes back in-authentic. They have already paid the consignor. Now they have to refund for the full price of the pack.

That would be a pretty big loss for an auction house to take.

I don't know about this particular pack or the accuracy of GAI, but I'm not sure why a consignor should profit on an in-authentic item while the auction house basically takes a loss for nearly twice the value of the final bid.

It's a business decision, not a real estate lottery.

bobbyw8469
02-02-2011, 11:38 AM
I don't know about this particular pack or the accuracy of GAI, but I'm not sure why a consignor should profit on an in-authentic item while the auction house basically takes a loss for nearly twice the value of the final bid.

I understand what you are saying. The problem I have however, is that people are submitting an item one time and taking one graders opinion as gospel. Everyone knows how BS is that!! I have had items come back, "TRIMMED", "ALTERED" whatever else from one grading company, that I knew were good, come back graded from another grading company. In this particular instance, the grading company that said the item was no good later said it was perfectly fine!! What kind of baloney is that???? Carry on....
Bobby Williams

D. Bergin
02-02-2011, 12:43 PM
I understand what you are saying. The problem I have however, is that people are submitting an item one time and taking one graders opinion as gospel. Everyone knows how BS is that!! I have had items come back, "TRIMMED", "ALTERED" whatever else from one grading company, that I knew were good, come back graded from another grading company. In this particular instance, the grading company that said the item was no good later said it was perfectly fine!! What kind of baloney is that???? Carry on....
Bobby Williams

That's the rub I guess, and I don't disagree with that side of your argument.

Sterling Sports Auctions
02-03-2011, 12:06 AM
Not a positive experience here.

What other auction houses accept credit cards?

Lee

ls7plus
02-16-2011, 09:28 PM
I'm a little late, but I've purchased items from Verkman/Clean Sweep both directly and through auction for years and never had a single problem.

Larry

supraman84
08-28-2015, 04:18 PM
I just made my 1st purchase from clean sweep for about 2 Grand. Each item I purchased stated it came with JSA LOA. Much to my disappointment every item I purchased came with an AUCTION JSA LOA. BIG DIFFERENCE! I Paid assuming it was as stated. I contacted Steve from clean sweep and he was not very sympatric to my response. I stated that every auction should state they are AUCTION letters and not JSA LOA's. He said since ALL of his auctions are with AUCTION letters I could have contacted them and they would have told me as such and since they do not do "Full LOA's" they do not specify. I said "Then tell your customer's that!" IF 100% are AUCTION letters tell them in both the write-up by description or show a picture of it there too AND put it in your Auction site rules and FAQs. People need informed. He said that people don't want to pay the extra for the FUll LOA's. I said again... TELL THEM THAT as I overpaid assuming it was a True LOA so I got screwed twice once on the overpayment and did not get what I paid for. He said basically there was nothing they could do. I'm not done pursuing it as I feel I overpaid about $350 - $400 under their deceptive practices. I told them to fix it in the future write-ups but I'm sure it fell on deaf ears. Why else would you not be truthful except that it would take away from profits of higher bidding! Shame on Clean Sweep Auctions for such deceptive practices. All other sites I buy from are truthful AND list on each and everyone what type of COA / LOA you are getting. I just want to say that I am not questioning whether their products are authentic as I believe they are and believe everyone I purchased is. The issue is upgrading each item to the JSA LOA's which they advertise as from the Auction letter is an amount between $50 and $150 depending on the item and number of signatures on it...not counting shipping and insurance to send it to JSA for the "real" JSA LOA. First Time Buyer's beware of this before you bid. 2nd time buyers should already have gotten a taste of it and will need to bid accordingly.

bobbyw8469
08-28-2015, 05:00 PM
This is not a knock on Clean Sweep or Steve in any way; just a strange story regarding an item I consigned a few years ago. I had an unopened 1959 Topps cello pack with Roger Maris on the back that I consigned to Clean Sweep Auctions. The pack was ungraded. It eventually sold for a very good price. Before I received payment for the pack, Steve contacted me to say that the winning bidder was having it graded and I would not get payment until the winner received the results of the grade. I really wasn't that concerned, because I was confident the pack was good. Well, the pack came back "resealed" from GAI. The winning bidder sent the pack back to Steve who, in turn, returned it to me, along with the documentation from GAI (I believe the pack had sold for around $700). Later, I took the pack to a major card show and had a national dealer take a look at it. It was his opinion that the pack WAS good and he was so sure that he offered me about $300 for it. I ended up selling him the pack for just over that amount. Lo-and-behold, about 6 months later I see that very pack in the dealer's catalog auction IN a GAI holder. The pack ended up selling for around $800. In other dealings with Steve and Clean Sweep, I have found them to be friendly and upfront.

This is odd to me. If the buyer wanted a graded pack, he should have bid on a graded pack. Holding money hostage until the pack is graded sounds very odd to me. Next thing you know, people won't get paid for raw cards unless it grades "7 or above" and they paid around a '5' price for it.

ls7plus
08-28-2015, 05:27 PM
As I said earlier in this very thread, I have had many, many interactions with Steve and Clean Sweep over more than 15 years with no problem whatsoever. Whenever I have had questions about any item, either Steve or one of the staff has always answered them completely and honestly. This included at least two purchases in the last 3 months or less.

Happy collecting,

Larry

supraman84
08-29-2015, 11:16 PM
As I said earlier in this very thread, I have had many, many interactions with Steve and Clean Sweep over more than 15 years with no problem whatsoever. Whenever I have had questions about any item, either Steve or one of the staff has always answered them completely and honestly. This included at least two purchases in the last 3 months or less.

Happy collecting,

Larry
I, nor anyone, should have to ask by contacting a company what the "real" LOA is that you are getting and no one should have to "assume" what it is. Be truthful and put it in your listing or rules...plain and simple and truthful.

Leon
08-30-2015, 07:08 AM
I, nor anyone, should have to ask by contacting a company what the "real" LOA is that you are getting and no one should have to "assume" what it is. Be truthful and put it in your listing or rules...plain and simple and truthful.

Per our rules your name needs to be in your posts if you are questioning folks or making comments about them, so your name is Dav.id Patt.erson. It is now under your user id in all of your posts. Nothing personal, carry on.

supraman84
09-01-2015, 05:00 PM
Thanks Leon... Nothing to hide but I did not read the rules. Thank you!

bobbyw8469
09-01-2015, 05:07 PM
I have never had a bad dealing with Clean Sweep. Sorry you have.

ls7plus
09-01-2015, 05:22 PM
In my experience, the form of the letter of authenticity referred to is very much standard practice in an auction featuring many autographed items. JSA certainly has extensive experience with all of the star signatures that come up, and if they didn't think a given example they scrutinized was real, they wouldn't issue even the more limited form letter of authenticity. If you like, you can submit any item purchased under those circumstances to JSA for the so-called "full" letter of authenticity for the additional amount stated. But an auction house offering a very large number of such items is not usually going to absorb that cost or attempt to pass it on. That is merely an option the winning bidder has available to him. Sorry if the original poster on the latter portion of this thread misunderstood the circumstances, but I certainly don't believe there was any intent to deceive. IMHO, if the limited JSA letter indicates the signature is believed to be good, it will be good in the overwhelming majority of cases.

I would also once more echo Robert's statement in the post above--in more than 15 years of dealing with Clean Sweep, with innumerable purchases, I have not had one bad experience.

Highest regards,

Larry A. Smith