PDA

View Full Version : Obak, T210, T209 posters

celoknob
01-27-2011, 09:33 AM
Has anyone bought one of these Obak, T210, T209, etc "poster" reproductions. If so, what did you think (you can also offer an opinion if you haven't purchased one)?:

http://shop.ebay.com/zzl/m.html?_nkw=1910+baseball+poster&_sacat=0&_odkw=1910+baseball&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3911.c0.m270.l1313

Thanks

Vintagecatcher
01-27-2011, 09:39 AM
My opinion is that I'm tired of seeing them, and that eBay uses them as a filler to make their auctions look larger. They should never have been allowed in a baseball pre-1930s catagory.

Patrick

celoknob
01-27-2011, 09:43 AM
My opinion is that I'm tired of seeing them, and that eBay uses them as a filler to make their auctions look larger. They should never have been allowed in a baseball pre-1930s catagory.

Patrick

I disagree. Have you actually looked. They are not being sold in the pre-1930s category or as baseball cards at all. They are sold in the art section of ebay.

baseballart
01-27-2011, 09:49 AM
If you want a poster of them, go to the Library of Congress web site, and download the large TIFF file. If you have a high quality printer, the poster is now yours, and your only cost is your cost of printing. Alternatively, take the file to a local printing shop where you can be assured of the quality of the reproduction.

Max

celoknob
01-27-2011, 09:56 AM
If you want a poster of them, go to the Library of Congress web site, and download the large TIFF file. If you have a high quality printer, the poster is now yours, and your only cost is your cost of printing. Alternatively, take the file to a local printing shop where you can be assured of the quality of the reproduction.

Max

Thank you very much, I didn't know about obtaining high quality images from the Library of Congress site.

My assumption was that the "posters" on ebay and from printing TIFF files off a computer would not be especially attractive. I was just wanting to hear confirmation of that from someone who has tried.

Vintagecatcher
01-27-2011, 10:13 AM
To the original poster,

When I type a search word such as 1909 baseball those stupid posters most certainly do show up. Last time I checked 1909 is pre-1909.

Just curious, are you the person that is selling the posters?

My quess is YES.

Patrick

the-illini
01-27-2011, 10:27 AM
To the original poster,

When I type a search word such as 1909 baseball those stupid posters most certainly do show up. Last time I checked 1909 is pre-1909.

My quess is YES.

Patrick

Patrick,

If you set up an advanced search on ebay you can exclude certain sellers. Comes in very handy for these people and the sellers who sit on the same inventory of cards for years because they are priced at 3x market value.

Chris

celoknob
01-27-2011, 10:27 AM
To the original poster,

My quess is YES.

Patrick

Patrick,

That's quite an accusation and knee jerk reaction. The answer to your guess is No--I have absolutely nothing to do with them. I'm a member that was just asking a simple question. No matter what you think about the posters they are not being sold as originals or in the sports section. Sorry it perturbs you so much.

Sincerely,
Kell Wilson

Anthony S.
01-27-2011, 11:43 AM
Hadn't seen those posters, though I still prefer the Anchor Steam metal do-hickeys (see link):

http://www.steamgear.com/signs/signbodie.htm

baseballart
01-27-2011, 10:36 PM
Thank you very much, I didn't know about obtaining high quality images from the Library of Congress site.

My assumption was that the "posters" on ebay and from printing TIFF files off a computer would not be especially attractive. I was just wanting to hear confirmation of that from someone who has tried.

The LOC site is exactly where these ebay sellers obtain their "posters". The TIFF files are huge, and will produce extremely high quality prints--the ulitmate quality you get will depend on the quality of the printer you use.

John V
01-28-2011, 04:37 AM
Can someone familiar with the library site, post a link to that section?
Thanks!

celoknob
01-28-2011, 08:19 AM
I googled the following: library of congress baseball cards

This is the site: http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/bbhtml/bbhome.html

I'm sure there are many major league cards but I was interested in the minors, so I clicked "About the Collection" and then "minors". There were 157 minor league players of different series; certainly not complete---I was kind of hoping for more.

Max was correct in stating this is where the ebay seller(s) get the images for their posters because as far as I can tell the only ones they sell are all available at LOC.