PDA

View Full Version : S74 pricing reversal

Leon
01-25-2011, 10:31 AM
I am a type collector and collect some of the S74 silks. It seems as though the colored silks, with mfg and tobacco districts on them, have overtaken the backed ones in pricing? Anyone else notice that? Here is a recent pick up that I paid through the proverbial nose for. It might have been that this was a misprint and has both the mfg and district on the bottom. It's on its way to me now....

docpatlv
01-25-2011, 10:41 AM
I have noticed the colored silks (in decent shape) have been going for some decent prices. I actually thought it was the board member here who collects Meyers that won that. I would say they might be going for a little bit higher than white silks with backs. But I've seen more colored silks than whites with backs being offered lately.

andybecker
01-25-2011, 11:03 AM
i haven't followed these like i used to, but NO WAY should a nice s74-2 be worth more than a decent s74-1 with the back.

white silks with the paper backing still on are scarce, way way more scarce than a colored silk in nice condition.

i suppose values can ebb and flow depending on who's buying and who's not....but from a supply standpoint white silks with backing are much tougher than their multicolored counterparts.

leon, cool s74-2....and desirable with the off-set printing. nice pick up.

Vintagecatcher
01-25-2011, 08:44 PM
Leon,

Congrats on the pickup. I was one of the bidders early on due to my interest in the miscut.

I'm glad I was outbid since I already have that color S74.

Enjoy,

Patrick

Leon
01-25-2011, 09:40 PM
Leon,

Congrats on the pickup. I was one of the bidders early on due to my interest in the miscut.

I'm glad I was outbid since I already have that color S74.

ENjoy,

Patrick

I have an Old Mill cut like this (far right on screen) so thought it would be neat to have a Turkey Red similar to it....shown before but apropos

ethicsprof
01-25-2011, 09:52 PM
gorgeous collection!!
you're some type collector!

best,
barry

millerhouse
01-27-2011, 05:32 AM
Leon,

Though you refer to your S74-2 as a "misprint," as some of the other posters have noted, it's really a miscut. The darkened region that covers the factory and brand information is some sort of glue that was intended to keep the silk from unravelling at the top and bottom when cut. Given that all the printing and glue is at the bottom of your example, there is nothing to prevent this particular silk from unravelling at the top, as it has started to do at the upper right.

Best,

Millerhouse

Leon
01-27-2011, 09:29 AM
Leon,

Though you refer to your S74-2 as a "misprint," as some of the other posters have noted, it's really a miscut. The darkened region that covers the factory and brand information is some sort of glue that was intended to keep the silk from unravelling at the top and bottom when cut. Given that all the printing and glue is at the bottom of your example, there is nothing to prevent this particular silk from unravelling at the top, as it has started to do at the upper right.

Best,

Millerhouse

I just used a catch all phrase but technically it is a mis cut. However, how about that Old Mill in the middle? I have never seen another like that one. Sort of a mis cut and mis print all in one :)>.

And a follow up comment to Andy's. I know it has always been the norm that the paper backed S74's have been more costly, but from what I have seen lately, the colored ones are catching up.

Touch'EmAll
01-27-2011, 10:51 AM
I do know SGC has recently started to grade these silks. This could account for an increased interest (demand) and therefore increased prices.

I own a couple really nice colored's of Matty & Johnson - just graded by SGC. And if I had a preferrence, all things equal (the grade) I would have to choose the black/white with backing over colored silks.

By the way, where do you guys get all your info on pricing? I just have not seen any up for sale in a while. I do not follow common players, just HOF'ers, maybe thats why I do not see transaction activity?

Leon
01-27-2011, 11:22 AM
I do know SGC has recently started to grade these silks. This could account for an increased interest (demand) and therefore increased prices.

I own a couple really nice colored's of Matty & Johnson - just graded by SGC. And if I had a preferrence, all things equal (the grade) I would have to choose the black/white with backing over colored silks.

By the way, where do you guys get all your info on pricing? I just have not seen any up for sale in a while. I do not follow common players, just HOF'ers, maybe thats why I do not see transaction activity?

Except for VCP, which I do use, I look at ebay, Grand Slam Bids and online auctions to come up with my seat-of-the-pants theory on these... I do track commons and hof'ers like, as well as paper backs, white with no paper and colored ones.....Nothing scientific or formal though. I saw a couple other colored ones (commons) go for more than $100 ea recently, that is mostly why I made the comment. regards

BobC
01-27-2011, 02:23 PM
I'm not so sure there has been a true change in pricing between "white - ad backed" and "colored" version silks. Despite their uniqueness, I think there is a fairly thin market for both versions of them as their popularity is still nowhere near that of their counterparts, T-205 cards (or even T-202s), which have the same images. My further guess is that collectors interested in them most likely prefer one version over the other. So, what may seem like a change in the overall perceived value between the two versions of the silks may be nothing more than a few auctions where two different colored version silk collectors have butted heads and artificially run the price up for some desirable S74-2 silks they both need/want. I just don't think there are that many silk collectors now more interested in the S74-2 colored version.

You're always going to have cases where for some reason two people want the same thing and the price goes beyond what is normally expected. Because of that variable and the infrequency of S74 silk sales, looking at some recent final sales prices to me isn't a good, overall market indicator. What I think would be a much better indicator (though almost impossible to really measure) is what would a vintage collector be willing to pay for a particular white or colored version silk that they already had or didn't particularly need but, would be willing to pay just so that it didn't go to someone else for next to nothing. I've seen in countless threads where others mention putting down a bid hoping to steal an item or, to keep someone else from getting an item for below what they perceive the market value to be. Happens all the time. I just don't think a collector will put down a higher protective bid for a colored silk than they would for that same silk in the white version with the paper backing attached. Until that changes, I can't see a shift in higher value to colored version silks being true. Just my opinion.

Bob