PDA

View Full Version : N173 Goodwin Cabinet Proof

joeadcock
01-22-2011, 03:27 PM
Are there any new perspectives of this type of card?
Shown is Cabinet card of FRANK SCHEIBECK(image also noted in N172). However, studio noted is Fearnaught Photographic Studios of Indianapolis. Copyright of Goodwin & Co. 1888 in mid left card.
In prior threads dating back to 2007, there were different opinions about these. (This example had been trimmed at some point).
My question is do some still believe this is a proof of the future Old Judge Card? Per old thread, one belief that Goodwin had hired some studios(i.e. Fearnaught) to get phots of players to then be used for cards. Or were these produced later in 19th century or early 20th century?

Of note, REA sold a similar card from Fearnaught in their 2008 auction, of Deacon White. REA described it as a "1888 N173 Goodwin Cabinet Proof-Deacon White".

rhettyeakley
01-22-2011, 03:43 PM
They are proofs to the extent that they are the actual photographs used to produce the N172 & N173 cards. In their book Miller, Gonsowski, and Masson do list Fearnaught Photographic Studios of Indianapolis as the photographic studio that took the 1888 shots for the Detroit and Indy teams so everything checks out with this cabinet--except for the truly unfortunate trim job! Essentially, Fearnaught took the pictures that they then leased (or sold) to Goodwin & Co. for use as N172 and N173's.

FRANK SCHEIBECK is among the tougher N172's -- not that that really matters when we are talking about these cabinets but it makes it a little cooler in my book.:)

Joe_G.
01-22-2011, 07:40 PM
Goodwin & Co. was in the tobacco business, not photography so they enlisted help from many photographers including Fearsnaught. After a photoshoot, it was common for cabinets to be made for general distribution to players, friends, and perhaps even for the general public before sending the negative(s) off to allow card production. Your example likely dates to ~April 1888, the time of the photo shoot.

I bid on that cabinet both times it was listed on eBay but the condition kept me less than aggressive. Of the four cabinets, that was the only one I had interest in. Nice image, take good care of it.