PDA

View Full Version : Cy Young on Ebay

joebrandon1977
01-21-2011, 06:24 PM
Hi guys,

I posted a couple of times here as I am a newbie to the T206 realm and trying to get some good cards under my belt.

Just wanted to get some thoughts on this card for the value / risk of getting an ungraded card like this one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1909-T206-El-Principe-Gales-Cy-Young-Throwing-tough-/130475869037?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item1e60f7c36d

iggyman
01-21-2011, 07:26 PM
The T206 Cy Young is authentic but looks to have been trimmed on the top border. It will never receive a grade of "one" but will grade "authentic" (due to the trimming). The value is in the eye of the beholder, but the paper loss on the front bothers me more then a crease or two would (but that is just me). Nobody has jumped on the BUY-IT-NOW price, perhaps it's a bit high. At around the low ~$200 mark and putting into consideration the tough back, I believe a bunch of fish will jump out of the water to get it. Despite the flaw and trim job a nice card nonetheless, just have to get it at the right price.

As an FYI, you would probably get a more spirited debate by posting this on the main forum as opposed to here.

Lovely Day...

joebrandon1977
01-21-2011, 07:42 PM
Thanks Iggyman!

Agreed on the paperloss.

As a newbie, I guess I have another question (or two) after your post.

1. I assume people have trimmed these cards in the past, prior to grading, just to improve the look of the card. Is that correct?

As I research the T206's, there seems to be more trim jobs than I would expect. Maybe one here or there, but it seems to be more wide spread. Any thoughts to why?

2. As a collector, would you rather own an "A" or a 1? I'm sure there is a debate for this, but just curious on your opinion.

iggyman
01-21-2011, 08:59 PM
Both items one and two have been discussed ad nauseum on these boards but they have always been good questions. Let me address item two.........cards that have a number grade (or not) and reside in tombstones are extremely subjective in how they look. I've seen PSA/SGC 1 cards that look awesome, while I've seen PSA/SGC 1 cards that I wouldn't spend a nickel for (okay, perhaps if it was on my want list). Same goes for cards graded AUTHENTIC....some look fantastic, while others do not. If the card has great eye appeal but is graded authentic (due a slight trim job), I have no problems with it and I will take it all day long, over a PSA/SGC 1 or 2 (or even 3) grade with creases and/or rounded corners. I believe most collectors feel the same way or at least are beginning to see the light.

Lovely Day...

FrankWakefield
01-21-2011, 09:12 PM
Agree with that.

The card scanned is authentic. It does look like it might have been slightly trimmed on the right side, and possibly the top. It's a good enough looking card to me. If you're wanting to slab it you might pass on it. If you're wanting to collect a card of Cy Young's from his playing days, this looks like a good 'un!!

ChiefBenderForever
01-21-2011, 09:45 PM
No one is going to pay 285 for that to many problems maybe 150 at most

scmavl
01-22-2011, 07:52 AM
I love that the seller says "if I try again with SGC or PSA again they will give it a 1 grade."

That's awful optimistic of him. ;)

Nice looking card though, but I agree with the others that it seems kind of high given the condition.