PDA

View Full Version : .

shimozukawa
01-20-2011, 10:27 PM

Chris Counts
01-20-2011, 10:52 PM
You'd be surprised how many collectors are okay with trimmed cards. I get outbid on them all the time. It all comes down to how much the seller is asking. If I can pick up a nice trimmed card for a cost comparable to a card in good to very good condition, I'll take the trimmed card. And I often pick them up for less ...

shimozukawa
01-20-2011, 11:24 PM

David W
01-21-2011, 07:51 AM
That's part of what's funny about all of this... the price is okay, but even trimmed, the cards aren't in the best of condition. I would say they're VGEx (because of centering/registration) to ExMt... this is for different cards, not giving a range that wide for a single one.

For price comparison, I was offered a PSA8 for $38 of one of the cards that would be sold to me for $12. That seems reasonable, even if trimmed, right?

Well, it depends on what the cards are. If they are 72 Topps, they have little value being trimmed. If they are T206 or something, they would have value trimmed.

If you are displaying them in a binder, trimmed cards might look fine.

If you hope to "invest" in them, that would not be work out.

fkw
01-21-2011, 07:00 PM
Depends on the card

Topps cards???

Trimmed Topps cards hold little value compared to a PSA-8
In General, Id say worth 5%-10%, if not less in most cases.

Trimmed cards in vintage sets hold more value.
Different reasons for trimming.... some cards are trimmed to deceive (make condition look better), and some cards were trimmed so they would fit into sheets or match size of other T/E card sets.

The word "warp" might mean "batwing"
Trimmed cards will often get "batwings" meaning the ends of the cuts taper outward. You would need a high quality scan to see it usually. A digital picture will distort the edges so is not good for IDing trimmed cards.

shimozukawa
01-21-2011, 11:49 PM

theseeker
01-24-2011, 05:24 PM
During the boom years (late '80's, early '90's) there was a product called "The Judge," that was designed to detect card trimming. Any such products still out there?