PDA

View Full Version : Identity Theft

Anthony S.
01-15-2011, 02:31 PM
Guys,

Just found out yesterday that I've been the victim of identity theft. Someone has my social security number and address and is scurrying around opening charge accounts in my name and buying lots of crap. I've already filed a police report, contacted those companies that I know fraudulent accounts were set up with, contacted Social Administration hotline, accessed the FTC id theft website, and opened a fraud alert through the credit reporting companies. Was wondering if anyone else has been through this and if so, if they could offer any advice about additional safeguards or avenues of inquiry I should pursue. I assume checking to see if a change of address was filed is an additional step I should take. Any ideas?

barrysloate
01-15-2011, 02:46 PM
Terrible story Anthony. How did they get your social security number? I guard that more than anything.

Anthony S.
01-15-2011, 03:58 PM
I haven't the faintest idea, Barry. I've always been very careful about my personal info/SSN. I've already discovered 6 different charge cards they opened and maxed out in 1 day (last Saturday), and I've only known about this for 24 hours.

Leon
01-15-2011, 04:56 PM
I haven't the faintest idea, Barry. I've always been very careful about my personal info/SSN. I've already discovered 6 different charge cards they opened and maxed out in 1 day (last Saturday), and I've only known about this for 24 hours.

Nowadays most of the card companies are very, very good about these things. I had my money back in 24 hours or less, a few years ago. I would be surprised if you don't get your issue taken care of, at least the bank card financial part, in a very short amount of time. Good luck with it, I know how it feels (it's a hassle) and it sucks.

Jim VB
01-15-2011, 08:46 PM
Terrible story Anthony. How did they get your social security number? I guard that more than anything.

Barry,

I thought your SSN was 000 00 0006?

(Mine is 000 00 0011.)

Amthony,

Sorry to hear this!

Kawika
01-15-2011, 11:22 PM
Sucks, indeed. Just hope they don't steal your sense of humor along with your identity, brah. That would be the board's loss. My inner Bruce hopes they catch the creeps and hang them by their testicles.

thekingofclout
01-16-2011, 07:46 AM
My inner Bruce hopes they catch the creeps and hang them by their testicles.

I think if "hanging one by their testicles":eek: was the required punishment for 80 or 90 percent of the crimes committed, our crime rate would be a whole lot lower.

Best of luck to you Anthony.

teetwoohsix
01-18-2011, 03:00 PM

This sucks Anthony and I'm sorry this has happened to you. I am shocked the credit card companies did not see a "red flag" with someone obtining 6 new cards under your name- but having them mailed to a whole different adress?

I am sure the C/C companies will be able to see you were the victim of fraud and remove this from your credit reports....... but you may also have to send the credit report companies copies of the police reports along with a written dispute. Hope they catch the bastard(s).

Sincerely, Clayton