PDA

View Full Version : Older Publication Question...VCBC

tlwise12
01-14-2011, 10:54 AM
I'm relatively new to collecting vintage cards and have never seen the Vintage and Classic Baseball Collector magazines...

Are these well done magazines?

Are they worth purchasing for around $10.00

Does anyone recommend any specific issues?

Thanks!
Travis

barrysloate
01-14-2011, 11:55 AM
Travis- since I wrote numerous articles for VCBC, and for a time was the assistant editor (mostly in title only), I have to say it was a fine publication, the only really good one at the time. But its emphasis was on memorabilia more than cards. You should try to look at a table of contents to see if there are one or more articles in it that would interest you.

Zach Wheat
01-14-2011, 12:28 PM
I agree with Barry. Some of the articles on specific sets not actively tracked were helpful. They also included a number of interviews and first hand stories that I found interesting. The issues regarding Topps issues from 50's & '60's was interesting.

As far as determinging information on a specific set, I have found the more current publications like the standard catalog or Lew Lipsett's Encyclopedia of Baseball Cards (I, II, III & IV).

M Wheat

FrankWakefield
01-14-2011, 12:38 PM
I think that VCBC was the best of the magazines on old ball cards. So if you've not seen them, $10 would be well spent on one, especially if there was an article in there about cards in which you had an interest. So, yes.

Mr. Lipset's Encyclopedias are great. But there are only 3. Volume IV was to be about periodical cards, and it was not finished.

Zach Wheat
01-14-2011, 01:27 PM
Yes of course Frank is right. Vol. IV was never finished.

tedzan
01-14-2011, 02:43 PM
The VCBC magazine featured some really great articles in it's approx.40 issues. Like Barry (and others here), I wrote
several vintage card articles in it.

I'd say (with the exception of Iss. #7), $10 a copy is somewhat high. I still have extra copies of issues #1 thru #30.
And, I'm willing to be of assistance to you in acquiring certain copies at a reasonable price.

If you are interested, email me directly at......

tedzan11@comcast.net

Please no PM's

Regards,

TED Z

jcmtiger
01-14-2011, 08:57 PM
I love those magazines, have the complete run. Some very interesting articles

Joe

Griffins
01-14-2011, 09:43 PM
Buy every issue, you won't regret it.

Kawika
01-15-2011, 01:34 AM
Travis: I'm of the same opinion as Joe Tiger and ANex that VCBC is a great source of vintage cardboard info. I have complete runs of both VCBC and Old Cardboard and I'd have a hard time saying which was better but both are indispensable in my baseball library . OC is a slicker magazine with superior production quality and it is living and breathing as opposed to extinct but both are chock full of interesting articles. I'm surprised that no one yet has mentioned that the Old Cardboard website has an index of much of what appeared in VCBC. Click the OC banner, then the little magnifying glass and jimmy around with the columns and you can see all 38 issues of VCBC in chronological order. You can get an idea of which issues might appeal to you.

Leon
01-15-2011, 08:05 AM
I have a full run of VCBC, Old Cardboard, and several others. You can get a full run for VCBC (maybe minus #7) for about $125-$150 if you look. That is the way I would go. If you are into vintage, and plan to be for a long time, your money will be very well spent. Just my 2 cents....