PDA

View Full Version : Career Ended by a Banana Peel

Zach Wheat
01-13-2011, 08:33 PM
TRex Ted & I were emailing about a previous post. In doing research based upon a point Ted made, I came across an interesting article. At first I thought it was an April's Fool's joke - since the article was written close to April Fool's Day in 1910. I then noticed that it might explain why Thoney's career did not last too long after the incident and also helped explain T201's curious player selection.

The article is attached and came from the NY Times April 2, 1910 edition. Basically, it says that after visiting some baseball friends, Boston Outfielder John Thoney slipped on a banana peel and dislocated his right (throwing) shoulder, broke several bones, strained ligaments and generally made a mess of his shoulder/arm.

The article also goes on to say that the injury may jeopardize his career and ".......he may play in a year of two". After treatment, he apparently couldn't even walk as he was carried to his parents house.

This explains why he had no stats for 1910 (T201 card) and retired in 1912. In summary, watch out for them banana peels!

M Wheat

53Browns
01-14-2011, 07:19 AM
I was born in Ft. Thomas, KY.