PDA

View Full Version : Perez Steele

Big Six
01-12-2011, 03:39 PM
I've been a collector of the Perez Steele Post Card sets dating back to the 80's and I've long wished that Dick would start issuing the post cards again. From what I know, distribution appears to be the primary issue since Dick is still painting each new inductee in the same style. After much thought, I've come up with the following rough approach that could get the cards back in production.

*Get Topps (or Upper Deck!) to re-issue each Hall of Fame post card in traditional baseball card size (i.e. 3 1/2 x 5 1/2). Cards would need to be of high quality and they shouldn't run the presses non-stop. This would give today's collectors an introduction to these paintings and the Hall of Famers from yesteryear. Instead of a post card back, have someone do a nice write up of each electee.
*I assume the card companies would create those damn parallell sets, but that wouldn't be needed...keep it simple.
*Each wax box would include one or two "box toppers" in a sealed envelope or even a "pack" of the post card(s) for an electee beginning with what would have been Series 16...and they should be numbered x/10,000.
*the down side is folks wouldn't be able to keep their set completely numbersd, but the upside is we'd be able to fill in the gaps on our set since production stopped.

Anyone still have an appetite for these post cards and does the above seem realistic? Thanks in advance for any feedback...Matt

PhilNap
01-12-2011, 09:25 PM
In an email exchange I had with Mr. Perez a couple of years ago he indicated that, once his book was published, he would probably discontinue the "Postcard" style paintings. Hopefully he has, or will reconsider. So long as the paintings are produced I suppose there is hope that the postcard set can someday be revived.

J.McMurry
01-13-2011, 06:25 AM
I believe a couple years back there was an attempt to get the HOF to take on the responsibility of production and distribution of the set,but apparently they decided not to.

maybe some of the "Big Money" on the board would be interested? Leon?:)

Steve D
01-13-2011, 05:33 PM
I completely agree. If I remember correctly, TS O'Connell even championed the postcards' revival in his blog. I subscribed to the set way back when it was first developed, after reading Bill Madden's TSN column about them.

I would love nothing more than to see the set revived!

Steve

Leon
01-14-2011, 10:50 AM
I believe a couple years back there was an attempt to get the HOF to take on the responsibility of production and distribution of the set,but apparently they decided not to.

maybe some of the "Big Money" on the board would be interested? Leon?:)

Hey J
You have me confused with someone that has money. I assure you I don't....I have a few cards but money, not so much. Personally, I never collected these postcards but they are kind of neat.

J.McMurry
01-14-2011, 01:35 PM
lol,you know I'm just kidding,leon.

But, if done right,I think it might turn profitable.
I would start by cutting production down from 5k ea to maybe 2500.

Leon
01-14-2011, 02:00 PM
lol,you know I'm just kidding,leon.

But, if done right,I think it might turn profitable.
I would start by cutting production down from 5k ea to maybe 2500.

Cutting expenses (and/or inventory) while increasing sales, or even keeping them the same, can get a business going in the right direction.

Hot Springs Bathers
01-14-2011, 02:00 PM
I do have the flyer from Dick for his new book. I have not pulled the trigger yet but it does look nice.

I'll ask my wife to buy it for me for Valentine's Day?

Has anyone picked up a copy?