PDA

View Full Version : Doyle Nat'l

mintacular
01-10-2011, 08:31 PM
Today I did the right thing, and now I can sleep well. I bought a few post-war cards ($125) from a guy via Craigslist who also had a handful of T/E cards in a frame. He said those cards were not for sale unless he was overwhelmed with an offer (I made none). I noticed there was a T206 Doyle and mentioned in passing that there was some variation/err associated with that card...At the time, I couldn't remember what it was something about American League, N.Y. or NY, hands over his head or head up his butt...couldn't remember :) I also thought the ERR was only a few hundred card not the 100K+ ERR it turns out to be...

Well, after getting home I did some google research and identified the error/variation ("Nat'l" after NY for the newbies) and somehow my brain was convinced that maybe, just maybe I remember his card having this extra Nat'l designation? (He did get these cards as the story goes from a random woman who inherited them yada yada yada so if a Doyle Nat'l err was discovered it could've been this one...)

Immediately my mind raced about the possibilities...IF it was the ERR there were really only 2 options...

1) Call the guy, ask him what the Doyle said, and tell him what it was worth (100K+) if it was the ERR.
2) Tell the guy I wished I hadn't passed on his 1984 Topps Set for $30 and mention in passing "Hey can I see those T cards again?". If the ERR card was there make an offer, hey It's not my fault he didn't do his research not to mention the fruit basket i would send on the REA auction closing day.

Anyway, after sipping a beer I realized there was only one choice. Call the guy and tell him what'sup. So I did. Well, it turns out he answers the phone and says "After hearing your comment I looked up the card and found out that one went for over 100K, etc. and so I went to check the card, etc. but it ended being the common version, Aargh! .But thanks for calling me, I was planning on giving you a finders fee and also called my buddy who I bought these cards with and told him this story...

So the phone call ended with a few laughs and I told him to give me a call if any of his T-cards had one of the common Drum backs that he would part with for $20 :)

canjond
01-10-2011, 08:36 PM
The right choice IMO. While ignorance can be bliss (for the buyer, I guess), karma can be a bitch.