PDA

View Full Version : Lawyers office is lined with T206's

Bilko G
01-10-2011, 08:14 AM
Thought some of you guys might find this article of interest, although i don't know if it is all that wise to be "advertising" the whereabouts of a big $$$ collection like that.

http://www.freep.com/article/20110108/NEWS03/101080334/1322/Lawyers-office-is-lined-with-rare-baseball-cards-including-Honus-Wagner

Griffins
01-10-2011, 08:24 AM
those florescent lights are going to kill his cards.

CowboysGuide
01-10-2011, 08:40 AM

I've wondered, but never found any information on the subject, if the standard PSA holder (or any other grading company for that matter), protects cards from UV. I'm guessing not based on the comment above.

Maybe his display case glass has a protective coating.

baseballart
01-10-2011, 01:56 PM
Not a bad looking 1

http://cmsimg.freep.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=C4&Date=20110108&Category=NEWS03&ArtNo=101080334&Ref=V2&Profile=1322&MaxW=600&MaxW=800&q=50

tbob
01-10-2011, 02:01 PM
I hope he has all those cards insured :(

01-10-2011, 02:05 PM
This is his registry:

http://www.psacard.com/PSASETREGISTRY/publishedset.aspx?s=36907

Vol
01-10-2011, 02:44 PM

Have often wondered if florescent light would damage cards.

Griffins
01-10-2011, 03:18 PM
I've seen it happen, it's brutal.

bbcard1
01-10-2011, 03:26 PM
If you ever go to the Disney All Sports Resort, you will see lots of autographed items that have been ruined by the bright Florida sun...Jordans and such. Not at all irreplacable, but a shame nonetheless.

I have seen some "bad things" happen to cards with prolonged exposure.

shaunsteig
01-10-2011, 03:30 PM
Thought some of you guys might find this article of interest, although i don't know if it is all that wise to be "advertising" the whereabouts of a big $$$ collection like that.

http://www.freep.com/article/20110108/NEWS03/101080334/1322/Lawyers-office-is-lined-with-rare-baseball-cards-including-Honus-Wagner

article mentions that he has a "security system".

an impressive collection, not just for completeness, but also for quality -- average rank is nearly a 6, and scrolling through it seems that many of the HOFers are the 6s, and commoners include several 4s -- so it's not like he skimped on the expensive cards.

--S

FrankWakefield
01-10-2011, 04:08 PM
If the slabs are behind uv glass and the lumens are low, then the cards have a chance. I've seen plastic sleeves, like slit tubes, that can be put over fluorescent bulbs, to filter the uv. He needs something... I always worried about a client thinking they were paying too much for an attorney if he had a bunch of great baseball stuff displayed... Hope he get's a Doyle. And that's a fine accumulation of cards. He stayed with his passion and slayed the monster.

AndyG09
01-10-2011, 04:45 PM
That's the "Connecticut" Wagner from REA's 2010 auction.

Powell
01-10-2011, 05:20 PM
It is my collection and I have learned a lot from many of you. Bill Latzko really helped me with the collection as a friend, mentor and seller of many of the cards. Thanks to your posts, I am immediately having the glass case coated in UV protection. I have not noticed any fading in the cards. I also removed the most valuable cards when the article was posted and placed them in a safe deposit box. I am replacing those with reprints and will only bring them back for short term special occasions.

Thank you very much everyone. I also thought you might be interested that I took some raw cards and had them made into lucite coasters with my firm name and logo inside the lucite coaster. I thought they came out really nice with no bleeding. Unfortunately, most people don't have a clue what they are.

Powell

Bilko G
01-10-2011, 06:26 PM
It is my collection and I have learned a lot from many of you.

Powell

Congratulations on an amazing collection and i hope you didn't mind that i posted the article on the forums:)

calvindog
01-10-2011, 06:36 PM
I think if my office was lined with an entire T206 set I'd actually be thrilled to go to work. Awesome looking cards.

slidekellyslide
01-10-2011, 07:28 PM
It is my collection and I have learned a lot from many of you. Bill Latzko really helped me with the collection as a friend, mentor and seller of many of the cards. Thanks to your posts, I am immediately having the glass case coated in UV protection. I have not noticed any fading in the cards. I also removed the most valuable cards when the article was posted and placed them in a safe deposit box. I am replacing those with reprints and will only bring them back for short term special occasions.

Thank you very much everyone. I also thought you might be interested that I took some raw cards and had them made into lucite coasters with my firm name and logo inside the lucite coaster. I thought they came out really nice with no bleeding. Unfortunately, most people don't have a clue what they are.

Powell

Even if you hadn't seen this thread no doubt some one here would have gotten in contact with you about protecting them from the fluorescent lighting. Great collection!

egbeachley
01-10-2011, 08:59 PM
I think if my office was lined with an entire T206 set I'd actually be thrilled to go to work. Awesome looking cards.

I'd be afraid to leave until after the cleaning staff was gone.

rp12367
01-10-2011, 09:16 PM
Amazing Collection!!!

Leon
01-10-2011, 11:14 PM
Thanks for sharing Powell and welcome to the Net54baseball fraternity. You are among friends here. Join in our reindeer games anytime. We need to get you into type collecting. Now that is a set that is difficult to amass. Great T206 collection you have there too. I am sure you are proud of it as you should be. best regards

Kawika
01-11-2011, 02:00 AM
One T206 in a PSA slab measures 5.3" x 3.15". Five hundred-and-twenty-three of them yields nearly 61 square feet of cards. If there's just six rows of card as depicted in the photo that would be over 22 linear feet of cards, a veritable Great Wall of T206s. I might pay an hour of lawyer time to have a look.

D. Bergin
01-11-2011, 07:54 AM
Neat thread! :)

D. Broughman
01-11-2011, 09:00 AM

Powell

I live close to you and was wondering if i would have to make an appointment and pay a fee to see your collection:D You should be very proud of your collection and take good care of it. Thanks for sharing it with others. D.

Powell
01-11-2011, 10:30 AM
Everyone is welcome to come see it. There are two very large cases with 14 rows.

ChiefBenderForever
01-11-2011, 10:42 AM
Very nice, impossible for an interior decorator to top that !!

Anthony S.
01-11-2011, 10:45 AM
Everyone is welcome to come see it. There are two very large cases with 14 rows.

Have you considered buying a Pope Mobile type vehicle (with UV coating), lining the interior with your cards, and traveling the country dispensing legal advice?

Mrc32
01-11-2011, 11:04 AM

Aren't you worried about security? I've had my collection stolen once and it was an awful time. Luckily I got most back....but I'd be awfully concerned about advertising my collection like that.

Either way, congrats on a great collection.

Bridwell
01-11-2011, 12:22 PM
Great set. Congrats! I've been watching you climb the PSA rankings the past 2-3 years (and passing my set). Well done!

ethicsprof
01-11-2011, 12:28 PM
congratulations and well done!!

all the best,
barry

Powell
01-11-2011, 01:20 PM
Thank you for the kind and thoughtful comments. I have taken out the most valuable cards and am replacing them with reprints for everyday use to eliminate the devastating impact of a theft. I also have separate alarm systems for the building, my office and the case itself.

Rickyy
01-11-2011, 02:50 PM
Great display... I should do that in my office space... will actually make me enjoy coming into work.... :p

Bosox Blair
01-11-2011, 03:13 PM
Hi Powell,

Welcome aboard and very nice collection!

My two cents on the theft concern: yes, people who have expensive things need to be concerned about them. But certain objects are meant to be enjoyed/used and just because they are expensive does not mean they need to be hidden from the world. On this misguided theory, beautiful artwork would be in bank vaults, rather than on walls where people can take in the beauty and enjoy the pieces. And expensive guitars would never be played. A shame.

You have a couple basic ways to protect yourself from loss of your possessions: security and insurance. Sounds like Powell has good security, and I'd be surprised if he did not have insurance.

After you take care of those things, I say enjoy your collection and enjoy showing it to others!

Cheers,
Blair

sbfinley
01-12-2011, 12:27 AM
What a great collection and welcome to the Net54 community.

teetwoohsix
01-12-2011, 12:49 AM
Welcome to Net54 and congrats on such a beautiful collection !! it is amazing. And a Wagner to boot :eek:

Sincerely, Clayton

Forgot to add: Someone would have to be a major jacka$$/idiot to try and steal from a high powered attorney :D

CobbSpikedMe
01-12-2011, 09:08 AM
Hello Powell, welcome to the board.

Is there any chance you would be able to post some better images of the display at some point? I think I speak for many of our members when I say that we very much appreciate seeing how others display their cards and the single image in the article is whetting our appetites for further images.

Also, I just can't resist, but isn't the Doyle you are missing the rarest of the T206's and not the Wagner as stated by the author? I just hate it when they get stuff like that wrong. Of course, if I'm wrong then I expect some light hazing from the board. ;)

Best,

AndyH

FrankWakefield
01-12-2011, 09:23 AM
Hazing here is usually administered in 55 gallon drums up to tanker ships. Seldom is there a pint can of hazing.

You're correct about the Doyle card, but a bit short of the mark if you think hazing here is ever 'light'.

DanP
01-12-2011, 09:26 AM
Hello Powell,

I'd also like to see some close-up pic's of your collection. It's fantastic!! I agree with displaying your collection for everyone to enjoy.

Just as an FYI, I also display most of my collection. What I did with my higher priced cards (OK this may sound crazy) is:
Scan the original (including the PSA or SGC description header)
Buy a cheap PSA or SGA graded card (just for the case)
Crack open the case carefully
Replace the card and description with the scan
Glue the case and display the copy
Store the original in a safe deposit box at the bank

---- Actually I still wish PSA or SGC would offer this as a service; Note somewhere on the front and back that this is a copy. I'd pay $20 for each copy!

Never once has anyone looked and noticed they were looking at a copy! Actually once when I sold one of my cards I almost sent the copy by mistake. I thought of it after the envelope was sealed. I would of had some "explaining to do" if I ever mailed out the copy!

Beautiful collection, I hope to see it in person some day.

Dan

Powell
01-12-2011, 02:25 PM
I appreciate the comments from everyone. In the next couple of weeks I will be moving the collection to a different wall and installing even better security. I will take some photos and post them when it is in its new location. I do believe the Doyle is rarer, but many on this board are much better experts than me. The collection has become the focal point of my office -- everyone enjoys it even those who are not baseball card afficiandos as we are. Two people this year told me that after seeing the collection and learning about T206's they bought T206's for their sons as Christmas presents and it was their favorite present. I also have a another display of my Plow's Candy collection which is slowly but surely growing and is on the registry. The story came about because the reporter was in my office and saw the collection and was enthusiastic about writing the story.

Powell

CobbSpikedMe
01-12-2011, 04:49 PM
Hazing here is usually administered in 55 gallon drums up to tanker ships. Seldom is there a pint can of hazing.

You're correct about the Doyle card, but a bit short of the mark if you think hazing here is ever 'light'.

Thanks Frank. I knew it was wishful thinking but had to try right? ;)

Best,

AndyH

insidethewrapper
01-12-2011, 04:59 PM
Do those new curly light bulbs (energy savings) which are replacing the regular light bulbs also do damage to cards, autos ? I know those long tube fluorescent lights fade cards and autos.

Bosox Blair
01-13-2011, 12:39 PM
Hello Powell,

I'd also like to see some close-up pic's of your collection. It's fantastic!! I agree with displaying your collection for everyone to enjoy.

Just as an FYI, I also display most of my collection. What I did with my higher priced cards (OK this may sound crazy) is:
Scan the original (including the PSA or SGC description header)
Buy a cheap PSA or SGA graded card (just for the case)
Crack open the case carefully
Replace the card and description with the scan
Glue the case and display the copy
Store the original in a safe deposit box at the bank

---- Actually I still wish PSA or SGC would offer this as a service; Note somewhere on the front and back that this is a copy. I'd pay $20 for each copy!

Never once has anyone looked and noticed they were looking at a copy! Actually once when I sold one of my cards I almost sent the copy by mistake. I thought of it after the envelope was sealed. I would of had some "explaining to do" if I ever mailed out the copy!

Beautiful collection, I hope to see it in person some day.

Dan

Hi Dan,

I respect your right to collect and display your cards how you see fit, but I could never do this.

To me, cards are "objets d'art". They have no intrinsic value. Their only utility is aesthetic (the monetary value is purely market driven). Placing such a thing in a bank vault is something I would never consider.

If the price/value of something made me afraid to own it, I think that would be a sign to me that I should not own it.

If I wanted to look at copies, I'd keep my money and download scans off the internet. Or I'd buy reprints. I'd be a lot richer that way!

As I said, just my 2 cents (and as much as it surprises me, I might be in the minority on this).

Cheers,
Blair

slidekellyslide
01-13-2011, 01:52 PM
Do those new curly light bulbs (energy savings) which are replacing the regular light bulbs also do damage to cards, autos ? I know those long tube fluorescent lights fade cards and autos.

Those "Curly light bulbs" are fluorescent so I would suspect they can cause the same kind of damage. I wouldn't take the chance....I use the curly bulbs in most of my home...I found out very quickly that it's a bad thing to use one with a dimmer switch though..I use the old style bulbs in my collection room which rarely gets lights turned on anyway.

FUBAR
01-14-2011, 01:08 AM
You could also consider changing to LED lighting and then you wouldn't have to worry!.. just a thought, hope someone else didn't post this first!