PDA

View Full Version : Late 19th Century Negro Baseball...

tlwise12
01-07-2011, 12:18 AM
Does anyone have a list of Negros that were in organized baseball during the late 1800s? I've read somewhere that there were several blacks playing minor league or other organized baseball around the time of Fowler and White...

Sorry if this is a dumb question...

Thanks for any help!

Travis
tlwise12@aol.com

bcbgcbrcb
01-07-2011, 04:04 AM
Frank Grant (Buffalo) & Moses "Fleetwood" Walker along with his brother (I forget his name)

tachyonbb
01-07-2011, 06:21 AM
The Nebraska State League of 1892 had a number of African American players. The six team league did not last an entire season as it folded in early July.

According to an article in Nebraska History magazine, Bud Fowler and William Castone played for Lincoln/Kearney, John W. Patterson (infield), John Reeves(pitcher) and Frank Maupin(catcher) played for Plattsmouth and George Taylor played for Beatrice.

Reference:
http://www.nebraskahistory.org/publish/publicat/history/full-text/2004-Dirty_Work.pdf

Jason19th
01-07-2011, 10:47 AM
If I am remebering correctly the newest reprint of the sol white book has an appendicx where its lists all of the black who played in organizned leagues.

You should be able to pick up a copy on the net for less then 10 bucks

tlwise12
01-07-2011, 10:52 AM
Thanks guys!!! All great information! And Jason- I have that book, but for some reason didn't think to look until your post! I did check it out and its in there!!!

I really appreciate it!

Travis